IGNORED

Space Game

Karl G

A purple octopus...IN SPACE!

Now where have I seen that before...?

I can honestly say that I did NOT think about how the cover artwork might be a bad choice given the development of Ms. Galactopus. Octo-boss is the first boss at the end of wave 3, but he's not a big part of the game. Should I look into redoing the cover art? I've been following the development of your game with interest, and I certainly don't want to do anything to take anything away from it.

I can honestly say that I did NOT think about how the cover artwork might be a bad choice given the development of Ms. Galactopus. Octo-boss is the first boss at the end of wave 3, but he's not a big part of the game. Should I look into redoing the cover art? I've been following the development of your game with interest, and I certainly don't want to do anything to take anything away from it.

On one hand, I don't want to be the dick who makes you change the art that obviously a lot of work went into and that people are liking (and that I would probably like if I could look at it and see anything other than the similarities to Galactopus).

On the other hand, I already have one game in the AtariAge store centered around a giant purple space octopus, with artwork prominently displaying a giant purple space octopus attacking a space ship. And I'm currently at work on a sequel, also centered around a giant purple space octopus, which I have been working on for over a year and which will be on display at PRGE in a week.

Since octoboss isn't a big part of Space Game, it might benefit both games if you change the art.

On one hand, I don't want to be the dick who makes you change the art that obviously a lot of work went into and that people are liking (and that I would probably like if I could look at it and see anything other than the similarities to Galactopus).

On the other hand, I already have one game in the AtariAge store centered around a giant purple space octopus, with artwork prominently displaying a giant purple space octopus attacking a space ship. And I'm currently at work on a sequel, also centered around a giant purple space octopus, which I have been working on for over a year and which will be on display at PRGE in a week.

Since octoboss isn't a big part of Space Game, it might benefit both games if you change the art.

Your concerns are understandable, and the error was mine. I will change the cover art for my game.

Because of this thread I checked out Galactopus. Don't know how I missed out on that one. I hope you consider making a box for it one day. I hope the sequel comes boxed. Marc Oberhauser makes gorgeous boxes. Would love to see Space Game & Galactopus boxes printed by him. :)

If the player holds down the fire button, it would be nice if the missile shot again after it goes off the screen or hits a bad guy. People who don't like that can feel free to press and lift and press and lift and press and lift until they get a repetitive strain injury.

I've not heard any other requests for this feature, and I'm trying not to introduce new bugs, so I haven't added it in as an option so far. Just for you, though, I've made a special RT Edition of the game with autofire enabled. Enjoy, and let me know if you notice it introducing any new bugs.

If anyone else wants this as an option before I finalize the code, please let me know also.

SpaceGame-RT-Edition.bin

• Like 5

I've not heard any other requests for this feature, and I'm trying not to introduce new bugs, so I haven't added it in as an option so far. Just for you, though, I've made a special RT Edition of the game with autofire enabled. Enjoy, and let me know if you notice it introducing any new bugs.

If anyone else wants this as an option before I finalize the code, please let me know also.

attachicon.gifSpaceGame-RT-Edition.bin

I love that version - actually made it to wave 2!

Also, tried it on the AFP, outside of the Title Screen and the Wave Screen not displayed correctly - the game works fine! Nice work!!

For

attachicon.gifSpaceGame-RT-Edition.bin

For a TRUE RT Edition, it needs 1000x more flashing.

At least for me... I am LOVING the RT Edition. Thanks for taking the time to code it out and make it available for all of us. 1000x more flashing... I am all for it. :)

I know I am outvoted... but I don't really like the generic "Space Game" name. I know what you were doing... your initial rather flippant way of referring to the game has stuck. But if I may, with your rather elaborate (and very cool) write-up... there are lots of much more intriguing and enticing names... for example... "Xin's Vengenance" or "Kraal vs Human" :D

Edited by MissCommand

We got a lot of good feedback from the demo at PRGE, and I was able to spot one bug in the process: the collateral damage from wide missiles was not working. I have uploaded RC2 binaries, and edited the first post in this topic. Changes include:

• Collateral damage from wide missile explosions is working properly again
  • Minor color tweaks
  • Optional auto-repeat fire option (pull down on the joystick and press fire on the title screen to activate this for each game

I was very reluctant to include an auto-repeat firing option, but there seemed to be demand for it. After thinking about it, though, this may make the game easier for casual or new players without making it any easier for experienced players (since you lose the finesse of being able to more carefully time your shots). Anyway, if it makes the game more fun for some people, then all the better.

As always, let me know if any issues are found with this!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...