IGNORED

Space Game

Karl G

On 1/14/2020 at 6:26 PM, Karl G said:

It won't compile without a lot of work, as it is missing a number of dependancies that I no longer have, like the titlescreen kernel code/images.

Bummer, but you should be able to use Stella to recreate the image data:

1. Start by playing the game.  Make sure to do as many things as you can so Stella runs all parts of the code (helps it to know what's code vs data, and to differentiate between graphical data and numerical data)
  2. Hit ` to enter the debugger.
  3. On the CartridgeF4 tab change the bank to 0
  4. type savedis in the prompt
  5. Using your OS's file system, go to where the file was saved - for me it was ~/Desktop/SpaceGame-Final-NTSC.asm
  6. rename that file to have bank 0 in it, SpaceGame-Final-NTSC_bank0.asm
  7. Repeat steps 3 thru 6 for banks 1 thru 7.

Once you've done that you should be able to use contents of the 8 files to recreate the missing data files.  I did just a brief bit of gameplay, here's what was made for banks 0 and 1:

SpaceGame-Final-NTSC_bank0.asm

SpaceGame-Final-NTSC_bank1.asm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

CONGRATULATIONS to Space Game 2K for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1526806255_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.2359090ccc6a16cd37e0c237da7f8fc2.jpg1878117411_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-Best4KHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.5d5be8ddd3cc4b1becb3516db0eb815b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is trying for a complete playthrough of all 12 levels in Space Game on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 13, 2021) AFTER DARK stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

AFTER DARK

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 8:55 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Oh boy, I'm in for a challenge!

- James

Great try James!  You inspired me to try to complete the game, so I gave it a few tries but failed.  I did make it to level 12 (58,075 points).  My previous best was level 11.

@Karl Gand @mvo great game.  Btw, I failed to mention this in earlier posts, but I really like the Kraal sketches that were included in the manual. The manual is very well done, but the sketches are the cherry on top.?

Level 12.jpg

HS.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
Made it level 12 but unable to complete the game.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Great try James!  You inspired me to try to complete the game, so I gave it a few tries but failed.  I did make it to level 12 (58,075 points).  My previous best was level 11.

WOW, great run Steve!

I'm looking forward to taking another run it again in the near future. Hopefully we can both make it to the end one of these days!

- James

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Wow. I’ve now reached level 12 three games in a row, but still unable to beat it. This is quite the challenge.?

Do you want some pointers for level 12? 

I use nicknames for the Kraal, so you should be able to figure out which ones I'm talking about.

Swimmers are the blue things. You have to be aggressive with these.  Their movements are fast and more random than any other Kraal, so it isn't safe to be patient.

Mantises are the green things with great chins.  They are fast shot and shoot constantly. I don't cross under them unless 100% necessary.  Let them come to you and pick them off quickly.

The Chewing Gum guys are the worst.  They start out where you can't shoot them unless they are stationary and requiring a double-shot to eliminate, but they don't stay that for long.  They morph in to RANDOM form and RANDOM ability, so forget everything you knew about any of the previous aliens.  This is the challenge.. you have to forget your training.

On rare occasions, they change so fast that you don't even notice that they are the Chewing Gum guys.  You have to pay close attention, because fighting them is TOTALLY different from fighting the Swimmers (aggressive), and Mantises (stay ahead of them and let them come to you a bit).

• Thanks 1

Victory! 

This is an excellent shooter and is highly addictive "must play one more time".  Love it.  I'll continue to play for personal high scores.

@Karl Gand @mvo thank you both for making this game.  The entire CIB is a treat.  Karl thanks for making Tiny Space Game (AKA SG2K) as well.

Victory!.jpg

You Win!.jpg

CIB1.jpg

CIB2.jpg

• Like 5

Wow, you did it, and from all the comments on ZPH you might be the only person to have completed the game.  This makes me want to give it a try, I've never played it, in fact due to my tunnel vision I am not sure I was even aware of this homebrew before this week.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

Wow, you did it, and from all the comments on ZPH you might be the only person to have completed the game.  This makes me want to give it a try, I've never played it, in fact due to my tunnel vision I am not sure I was even aware of this homebrew before this week.

Not the first...Maggie Vogel (one of the dev's) has completed it.

This is classic shooter.  I had put my copy away. I hadn't been able to get passed level 10 for quite some time, but watching James made me want to give it another go.  This game is highly addictive (at least it is for me), so I knew once I started playing, I wouldn't want to stop until I had completed it. Tons of fun, especially with the various Skill levels included and it saves your high score, so you can always play for HS too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Not the first...Maggie Vogel (one of the dev's) has completed it.

This is classic shooter.  I had put my copy away. I hadn't been able to get passed level 10 for quite some time, but watching James made me want to give it another go.  This game is highly addictive (at least it is for me), so I knew once I started playing, I wouldn't want to stop until I had completed it. Tons of fun, especially with the various Skill levels included and it saves your high score, so you can always play for HS too.

I appreciate the kind words, and it is really gratifying to see someone else beat the game. There's a lot of content with the higher-levels Kraal and the last two bosses that most have never seen. Not to mention Maggie's victory tune.  ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Karl G said:

There's a lot of content with the higher-levels Kraal and the last two bosses that most have never seen. Not to mention Maggie's victory tune.  ? 

The last level is brutal, but my favorite. Love all that goes on within that level and really like the victory tune. All of the tunes and sounds are well done. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, alfredtdk said:

I liked Space Game, really cool game, congratulations.
Does it use multisprite kernel or DPC+ features?

Hi @alfredtdk - I am moving discussion of Space Game over to here to not clutter up the Asteroids Attack topic. To answer your question though, most of the game was made with batari Basic standard kernel. The between levels sequences where you dodge the asteroids is done in assembly, though. Also, thank you for the compliments! 

• Like 1

I didn't know this title yet, I'm impressed with the graphic and sound quality based on the standard kernel.
Regarding sound effects, I read at the beginning of the topic that you used SpiceWare  SFX tool, is this tool available?
As I'm just starting to learn how to program for the Atari 2600, all of this is still new to me.

10 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

I didn't know this title yet, I'm impressed with the graphic and sound quality based on the standard kernel.
Regarding sound effects, I read at the beginning of the topic that you used SpiceWare  SFX tool, is this tool available?
As I'm just starting to learn how to program for the Atari 2600, all of this is still new to me.

Spiceware's SFX driver is handy when you have a game with a lot of sound effects that can all happen at the same time, as it chooses which channel to play a sound, and has a sound priority system to determine what sounds should take precedence if there are more to be played than there are available channels. It is an assembly module, and the data is changed in the module itself rather than through bB data tables.

While this driver is perfect for its purpose, it might be more than you need for your first project while you are still learning. I would recommend looking at the sound section of the bB manual, and looking at the sample code there to get an idea of how sound works as a starting point. I also find it handy to use the "all sounds" section of the bB sound and music page to get an idea of what channels and frequencies make what sounds.

• Thanks 1