IGNORED

Love the Nes Max But Hate The Cycloid (Add A D-Pad)

• 2 weeks later...

^^Those look awesome! :lust:

Hey I just wanna do a shoutout. No videos yet. I finally hooked my AVS up to play Spook-O-Tron which finally came in, but since that game uses an SNES controller to steer and shoot, I didn't get a chance to play with my converted Max much. That is until I tired of SpookOTron and popped in my old favorite Tengen Tetris. I chose Tetris because it's a game I'm very good at, and requires split second precision reflexes.

I played for hours, getting a high score of 274k pts (new personal best) playing from level 0 to 10. Tengen Tetris sessions tend to last far longer than the licensed NES game as scoring is completely different and level progression is every 30 lines until you hit 150. After that, it's every 50 lines, and line bonuses are awarded at the completion of each level rather than instantly. Needless to say I've got a nice fresh case of "Nintendo Thumb," my left thumb being sore on the side under my nail where it pressed against the pad, but the fact I've scored higher than ever before with speaks volumes. I already am in love with this controller and I haven't even tested the turbo function yet! Gotta get some 8-bit SHMUP action going on next time... :cool:

• Like 1

I just did this, didn't take me too long. With my dremel attachment I could probably knock these out in 15 minutes w/full testing. I had a few snes controllers w/no cords and broken shells, basically I keep for parts. I used a snes d-pad and it is super tight now snug (I redid it a bit). Not sure if you guys use glue but there is no need.

With that said, I still don't like them lol. They are usable now but just not for me. I still don't find the d-pad to be 100% precise and responsive as a normal nes pad. They were allright for something like Mario but I find on like Gradius I experienced lack of precision in my movements.

post-25078-0-56404800-1526831341_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-67353300-1526831355_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They are ok but my biggest complaint is like playing Mario, I always get short jumps because my thumb always hits the turbo as well. It is real awkward for me to hit the top button in a way that I don't hit the bottom turbo one. That's just how I hold the controllers. Plus the d-pad has an awkward feel, like I have to press it harder slightly.

Maybe for most people this is not a problem but I am very sensitive to any kind of button delay at all. If I sense the slightest delay the controller has to be taken apart and cleaned/fixed to 100%. Having to push harder constitutes as delay for me.

Hey cool beans man, I have not had problems playing shoot em ups, love me some Crisis Force, with my modded max. This is an obvious comment, but did you sand the back of the D-Pad flat? I have not seen anyone tell me they have to press harder than normal to make it work.

Granted the time it took you vs me its because on my dremel mine has the variable speed option and I always go on the lowest setting (I rather take 10 minutes just on the cycloid than do it in 2 minutes and regret it all)

Mind you you need it to be super tight vs just snug as you want the D-Pad and Cycloid assembly to move as one unit. Glue I have used non so far.

But again I congratulate you on your great mod. Give them some time (believe me) If you check the thread dates It took me almost a year to realize the full potential of the mod. And mind you I started with NES D-pads

but the fact I've scored higher than ever before with speaks volumes. I already am in love with this controller and I haven't even tested the turbo function yet! Gotta get some 8-bit SHMUP action going on next time... :cool:

Thanks for the kind words Kosmic and Yoshi

Looking forward to see what the other members have to say too

• Like 1

Regarding Iceman's posts on the subject, I will say the overall size of the Dpad, as well as moving mass (the cycloid housing with embedded Dpad moves as one mass when properly installed) is larger than a standard Dpad. I also have large, strong man hands that make playing tiny controllers (such as GBA SP) rather painful. Large full scale controllers like the Game Cube or Switch Pro fit my hands like a glove. I must say that the added mass on the Dpad modded Max does not bother me at all in the slightest.

I also tend to "ride the gate" on arcade controls which is why I perform better with heavier spring, oversize actuator, and circular or octagon gate as opposed to stock square Japanese style joysticks (also good old cheap Happ/IL which work well for me out of the box without tuning, though I much prefer balltops over battops).

So in reference to IcemanXP's posts on the subject, if you have small hands or a very light touch, perhaps the modded Maxes may not be right for you. For me it was awesome, but I did suffer from "Nintendo thumb" after a few hours of play. I will also say this, I vastly prefer using A/B on an SNES style diamond layout instead of B/Y, though I may be in a minority of gamers, and can play equally well to either standard with a few minutes of adjustment. People who prefer the B/Y layout may be more prone to hiting the turbos underneath the buttons due to muscle memory alone, during a run/jump execution. Most other controllers the turbo settings are located above, not below.

Overall, the NES Max is a kind of bizzare controller design to begin with, though the Dpad mod gives it a vastly superior useability over stock. Is the modded Max better than the traditional rectangular pad? It depends on player preference and the genre of game being played. A well seasoned player may have a favorite controller for each genre or style of game. I believe SHMUPs and fighters handle better on an arcade stick, whereas platformers are better played with a pad.

I'm not sure pressing harder is the problem because when I compare it to a normal nes pad or even a dogbone, the buttons appear to have the same pressure to them, and yes I did sand the back off. I know these are perfectly fine for what is expected. I think the real problem here is the cyclone housing moves the entire d-pad. That matters because if I am using a normal d-pad I can easily go from up to right instantly. Where as using the cyclone the entire housing moves so my pressure may be giving more up right instead of up then right if that makes sense.

It gives the sensation of pressing harder because I have to put more effort into making the motions. On a normal gamepad the directional is incased so just getting light pressure on a direction causes that direction to make contact faster, since the directional can only go 4 ways, not 8.

As far as the turbo button goes and keeps getting hit for me. I have big hands and this controller is quite small. It is only a problem on the A button. If the controller was a half inch bigger past the A my hands would have more room for my thumb to curve away from the A. Right now when I hold the controller and hit B, my thumb is angled slightly but when I push the A my thumb is directly over the turbo A and since that is a raised button it gets pushed easily when I push the A. If I were to ground down the turbo button so it was more concave then it likely would not be a problem as my thumb would recess in the concave dip.

I'm sure this controller is great for some games and some people. My hands are just to big for it and I'm not use to it. I should also note I push the button w/the top part of my thumb under the nail, not the thicker part under the knuckle. So when I push the button in the turbo is getting pushed in by the thicker portion of my thumb.

post-25078-0-98730900-1526911260_thumb.jpg

So if the housing moves the entire d-pad around due to the setup of the Maxx, it sounds to me like you're almost talking about a case of like joystick drift you get when you have a poor hold on a controller with a joystick so that your up ends in going more like an up and right or something of the sort which isn't intended. You're feeling the d-pad and thinking up, but the whole thing rocks and you end up going (since it's an old d-pad) both up and right or up and left at the same time which you don't want.

So if the housing moves the entire d-pad around due to the setup of the Maxx, it sounds to me like you're almost talking about a case of like joystick drift you get when you have a poor hold on a controller with a joystick so that your up ends in going more like an up and right or something of the sort which isn't intended.

Sounds like what I am saying.

You're feeling the d-pad and thinking up, but the whole thing rocks and you end up going (since it's an old d-pad) both up and right or up and left at the same time which you don't want.

It has nothing to do w/it being an old D-Pad, using new parts would yield the same motions. The design of the max controller moves in a 360 degree circle on it's own. The D-pad itself doesn't move at all. The D-Pad is wedged inside the round housing very firm. The problem (some might not find it a problem) is the fact you can move the D-Pad in all 8 directions. That is the intended design, just not one that works well for me.

When I play I roll pressure across the D-pad and that causes me problems with this set-up. Since I don't take full pressure off I go up then up and right and then right. Where as on a normal D-pad, that has the D-Pad wedged inside a controller case, my pressure goes directly from up to right. The controller housing itself redirects my thumb pressure where I intend before I actually get all the way over there.

I think I forgot to mention this, but you're able to store the original cycloid plastic piece in the back of the controller within a large circular bracket that supports the circuit board from behind. Useful if you don't modify the black plastic housing and just go with a thumbstick.

• Like 1

If anyone wants to test my controllers I'll ship them to you and you just pay to ship them back. It's not the mod, it's the design. making a video showing how well they work, will not change personal preference for me. I can make a video playing well with them as well, I just find a dogbone or original controller smoother and more precise.

I believe you man I have big hands too so I can relate too

I have large hands and the oversize circular pad (despite the fact I am actually making contact with a standard Dpad) feels deeply satisfying in a way that's hard to explain. Bear in mind this is coming from a guy who built 18x8x4 inch NES and SNES controller replicas out of arcade parts and regularly uses them to game, so I like em big.

The size of the Max isn't issue as the contour is nice. The grips don't need to extend all the way to the palms like a modern Playstation controller in order to be effective. And to give credit to Iceman, the placement of the turbos is a bit odd. My only gripe, albeit a minor one, is the edges on the repro Dpads A2600 used are slightly harder edged than old stock. But I'm really grasping at straws here though. Had I played 3 hours straight of Tetris on an NES pad, I'd of gotten the same sore thumb effect most likely. Perhaps someone could custom 3d print an oversized Dpad that snaps into and covers the whole face of the Cycloud housing. Just a little bit larger, like 1.25 inch cross or so.

My only gripe, albeit a minor one, is the edges on the repro Dpads A2600 used are slightly harder edged than old stock. But I'm really grasping at straws here though. Had I played 3 hours straight of Tetris on an NES pad, I'd of gotten the same sore thumb effect most likely. Perhaps someone could custom 3d print an oversized Dpad that snaps into and covers the whole face of the Cycloud housing. Just a little bit larger, like 1.25 inch cross or so.

My offer is still good to upgrade you to a SNES D-Pad whenever you want, be it that aame one or getting a new max all together for me to mod it

My offer is still good to upgrade you to a SNES D-Pad whenever you want, be it that aame one or getting a new max all together for me to mod it

It really is wonderful. The repro Dpads are just slightly different from the feel of a real one, but the difference is negligible. I think playing Tetris for three hours solid on anything will result in a similar outcome: sore thumb, or sore wrist if using a joystick (and yes, before anyone asks, I have played Tetris, or a variant by a different name, on a joystick).
  • Like 1

I received mine this week and have tried it out on both Super Mario Bros. and Mike Tyson's Punch-out so far.

The D-pad is as responsive as the standard controller from what I could tell and with the Max grip it is definitely much more comfortable then the standard or the dog bone controllers to me.

It is worth picking one up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...