IGNORED

Love the Nes Max But Hate The Cycloid (Add A D-Pad)

I would assume this opens the door for different colors and configurations? But a question HOW DOES IT FEEL? And does the D-Pad feel too small?

Well, sure. I just happened to have black plastic loaded in my printer so that's what I went with. It feels like a 3D printed piece (stepped and textured) until you sand it a little. A little larger than the Gamecube controller's d-pad. I only played with it a short while before I sent it and a sanded thumbstick to a friend for them to try out and determine what they like best. Personally for me the thumbstick is the better option because the contacts of the rubber membrane underneath are so spread out you really benefit from a taller mechanism. I may try printing a taller d-pad later.

That's cool. Would you be down for sharing the stl?

Grab this, remove base, reduce to 19.9mm / 20mm edge to edge, slap it on a 32mm diameter disc: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1523792

I used a double sided piece of sticky tape to keep it from rotating within the cycloid, but you can use sillicone, hotglue, etc. Or add more mass so it's snug, but then you might break a cycloid housing clip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A new challenger appears!!

bxiVVDb.jpg

Its the BPS MAX, just like the power pad the NES Max was a third party controller for the Famicom, the B and A are not concave and they feel more responsive compared to the NES MAX. Update to follow...

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, 0078265317 said:

There is only one bps on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183741212073

Is it worth it?

At that price point no, be patient... I waited and got mines for 5.00 plus like 15.00 or 20.00 shipping

In the mean time get a regular max and practice, you would not want to mess up a BPS just on your first mod

20 hours ago, A2600 said:

At that price point no, be patient... I waited and got mines for 5.00 plus like 15.00 or 20.00 shipping

In the mean time get a regular max and practice, you would not want to mess up a BPS just on your first mod

I did and I broke my max so it I threw it.  I found another one on eBay recently for 10 bucks.  It should be here soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My nes max is broken.  Only the A and B and turbo buttons work.  The directions dont work at all.  I opened her up and the boars and pads look clean.  Also the start and select buttons dont work.  Super mario brothers only starts if I press select and start together at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 10:43 PM, 0078265317 said:

My nes max is broken.  Only the A and B and turbo buttons work.  The directions dont work at all.  I opened her up and the boars and pads look clean.  Also the start and select buttons dont work.  Super mario brothers only starts if I press select and start together at the same time.

Start by cleaning the board with IPA and then use a piece of paper to clean under the pads.

Or you can pick up new pads, here;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171909762738