IGNORED

Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 Book Project on Kickstarter

The issue with "Hans Kloss" are the swastika in the game. To promote a game with such a content is a serious crime in Germany. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

Since the book only features releases from back in the days any other game could have only be added via the special pledge level. Quality-wise there are tons of Polish games that would have to be in the book.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that, but you're correct. It's such a shame as it's an anti-Nazi game...and an amazing one at that.

@TokyoBatman:

A good few people i know who've produced physical books said they didn't do it for even miniscule profit, as they knew at best they would break even..

Nor fame :-)

But simply for the love of the subject material and in some cases just wanting to leave something behind...and have something to feel the time and effort invested was worth it.

Websites close..material lost with the closure..

It's usually printing costs that kill off such dreams in their infancy mind..:'(

• Like 1

it is unlikely at this stage :(. I think a high-profile promotion is required like what Marco Breddin did with Breaking the Borders book, better-rendered page spreads, a more personal possibility face to face video of what you are producing to the backers, I think your perks are brilliant etc. but although it's being presented here on AA, you need to try and get it promoted in possible non-related Atari places, as the majority of retro gaming fans don't get to see this type of stuff too often so post in places you wouldn't normally. With a book project of this nature and page count and size start standard with a softback cover version of the book as well as a hardback version as people have a choice on what they want and with a possible cheaper option rather than a finalised hard back version of the book pushing people's decision out of buying into this.

If this doesn't succeed..try ... try again,...many kick starters fail in their first attempt, this has nothing to do with you personally, rather than learning for this first time around experience and using that knowledge to smash through the barrier on the next run of the Kickstarter.

have a good one

Darren.

• Like 3

Will or would?

13.328 €/35.000 €, 6 days left

Nooo!!!!!

Oh well. Hey, I see you're from Dusseldorf, my uncle owns a couple of BMW dealerships there. My whole family on my dad's side is from Holland, and a couple of them moved to France, Germany, Belgium, etc.

Hey Marc, just curious if you'll be filling in AA with your new KS info and when you plan to put it up. I see that you are letting the first run to the end.

I honestly would call this first attempt pretty successful. There was a lot of support, interest, and you learned a lot.

Absolutely. I've learned quite a bit and 200+ backers are (hopefully) a solid base for the new KS.

I'm planning to split the book into 3 volumes, Vol. 1 2600/5200/7800, Vol. 2 2600/Atari Home Computer/Lynx, Vol. 3 Atari ST/Jaguar. This will help to reduce the costs for a single book with 416 pages. Additionally, the shipping costs for Europe can be reduced due to weight changes (from pages 700+ to 416 < 2kg). The new KS for Volume 1 will most likely start next week.

Dont take this as criticism but the way you planned the 3 volumes now you mix up home computers and consoles and I believe these can be quite different user groups.

Unless that is part of the plan to have buyers from each 'field' for each volume of course.

I.e, Lynx+Jaguar and Home-range + STE _could_ make more sense to some.

In my opinion user groups care less about how many bits a system has but more what its main usage was.

Dont take this as criticism but the way you planned the 3 volumes now you mix up home computers and consoles and I believe these can be quite different user groups.

Unless that is part of the plan to have buyers from each 'field' for each volume of course.

I.e, Lynx+Jaguar and Home-range + STE _could_ make more sense to some.

In my opinion user groups care less about how many bits a system has but more what its main usage was.

It appears to me the first two book are the previous one volume split in two, likely expanded a bit, ready to go to press. The third volume is all new and probably not completed. Splitting up the 2600 is a curious choice, though.

Absolutely. I've learned quite a bit and 200+ backers are (hopefully) a solid base for the new KS.

I'm planning to split the book into 3 volumes, Vol. 1 2600/5200/7800, Vol. 2 2600/Atari Home Computer/Lynx, Vol. 3 Atari ST/Jaguar. This will help to reduce the costs for a single book with 416 pages. Additionally, the shipping costs for Europe can be reduced due to weight changes (from pages 700+ to 416 < 2kg). The new KS for Volume 1 will most likely start next week.

I'm glad you're staying optimistic. Just my thoughts on your ideas.

All of the bread and butter should be in volume 1. The true heart of the Atari, in my opinion, is the 2600. It should'nt be split up.

Here is the big point we learned from the first KS, price point and shipping costs.

A lot of people will be able to buy volume 1 with the lower shipping costs. I don't imagine those same people that couldn't afford the first KS going for volume 2 or 3 because that was beyond their budget the first time.

That being said, those people liked the book... So they'll need value if they do go for volume 1. The value is in the 2600. If they know it's being split up into volume 2... It's forcing them to get it, which goes back to their budget... They may just pass.

The first volume needs to be bang for the buck. This could even trigger people with lower budgets to get the next volumes if they are happy with the value.

Totally my opinion, but volume 1 could be all 2600, hacks, protos, Homebrew. And make it blow people away with extras.

Another idea would be to have volume 1, 2600 and 7800.

I honestly think splitting up the 2600 could be a breaking point for the new KS.

Once again, don't take anything I've said the wrong way. I really am just trying to give feedback to make your project be realized and come to fruition.

Good luck!

This really should be pinned.

Its up to Al and if its possible. I've been offered from other site to host it there but they haven't been able to figure out how they could too.

I update it almost daily (nightly) and it is easy for me to update the excel spreadsheet thru MS OneDrive currently. Between keeping this up and working on an updated file of ROMs for the upcoming ATGames Atari Flashback Portable 2, they both take up alot of time.

• Like 1

This is the main reason why I started my "list"!

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArXu52QZivTrgVbQayev1Wc1QprN

Simply fantastic work here! It would be great to see a category with some sort of rating on the game (maybe not a quality rating but an effort rating? From 0 - 10). For example, if it's a simple hack that changes the character sprite... Give a 1. If it's a complete game like Anguna or Princess Rescue give a score of 10. Basically differentiating between games that were just thrown together with simplistic changes and games that made significant changes or a completely original game.

There are almost 3000 games on your list. This would definitely be helpful for scanning through.

• Like 1

So Atari is not only going for their logo on the front, they are going for everything:

Description of copyrighted material: in-game graphics, screenshots, box art, and logos from classic Atari video games
Description of infringing material: physical book to feature uncleared reproductions of the copyrighted material
Before I started the KS I tried to get in touch with Atari by email, Facebook, customer support and even regular mail to France as well to the USA and never heard back from them. Same like the trading cards for the 2600; first there was very kind contact, but out of the blue I just got no replies anymore.
There are at least 18 comparable KS projects/books from 2013 up to 2017 (including Nintendo and Sega themes)...
I'll try to get in contact with Atari to discuss the matter.