IGNORED

Terrible classic-era game ideas that should be forgotten

Mmm, yeah. "Folk music" can be performed on softly strummed acoustics with a capo and a mandolin lead by superficial, pop-culture obsessed urban youth while untutored rustics in the high hills can create challenging electronic noise on a laptop to express the values of their rural culture and the pain of losing their traditional way of life

but the first cd will be the one that gets filed under "folk"

• Like 1

Personally I like games that are a mishmash of mechanics so I don't like to see ANY type of game disappear. I enjoy hot messes localized by Atlus where you have to plan tower defense, then when your guy fights, it's a tetris head to head clone, and moving from level to level is a driving sequence and the key to winning is spreading your resources evenly between the styles. I even like a few "bad" mechanics like quicktime events and such as long as they're not overused or supercrucial to success.

Pay per play, limited lives, "game over."

This was how most of us started out with video games. We would insert a coin and play until we "died." When home consoles came along, they were their own thing at first, with a timed game (Combat's 2:16 of shooting action) or a win state. Later on, arcade ports aped the arcade style, complete with limited tries and a "game over" screen. That was exciting at first, like having your favorite arcade games at home! I'm gratified to know that the upcoming Mario Odyssey will not have any of this stuff.

IDK, in the beginning when you went over to a friends to play videogames, it was 3 lives-> done -> pass the joystick to the next person -> repeat.

Along came SMB with its ridiculous amount of lives and unlimited continues, and suddenly hanging out with friends playing videogames became watching one person hog the console most of the night while everyone else twiddled their thumbs.

3 lives was obviously not suited for every game, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think most of the "terrible ideas" of classic games have been forgotten, haven't they?

It's terrible modern game ideas I'd like to see forgotten. Like QTEs (which thankfully seem to be going away), DLC, DRM, microtransaction-based games, endless FPSs that all feel like the same game, and Candy Crush and other saccharine kiddy games played by 40-somethings.

I think most of the "terrible ideas" of classic games have been forgotten, haven't they?

It's terrible modern game ideas I'd like to see forgotten. Like QTEs (which thankfully seem to be going away), DLC, DRM, microtransaction-based games, endless FPSs that all feel like the same game, and Candy Crush and other saccharine kiddy games played by 40-somethings.

I'd settle for the death of the vast, empty open world and crafting systems every other major game release has. Only Zelda has done an open world system I've liked, and no one has really nailed the crafting side to my satisfaction.

• Like 1

IDK, in the beginning when you went over to a friends to play videogames, it was 3 lives-> done -> pass the joystick to the next person -> repeat.

Along came SMB with its ridiculous amount of lives and unlimited continues, and suddenly hanging out with friends playing videogames became watching one person hog the console most of the night while everyone else twiddled their thumbs.

3 lives was obviously not suited for every game, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

On the other hand, SMB had much more polish and depth than most previous console games. Oh no, a play session lasts for more than three minutes, how horrible. And it only had infinite continues if you used the cheat (hold A and press start).

Edited by mbd30