IGNORED

Looking for jaguar

metzger130

Was wondering if any of you ever see jaguars out in the wild. I have never seen one, only see them on ebay and they are 300 or so and I can't pay that much for a system that has only a few games I'd play, let alone finding the games also. What would you say is a price I should look for when it comes to a jaguar in case I actually find one?

I also hear rumor of a new "everdrive" for the Jaguar, is this true? Would make gaming on it much easier.

I haven't been in the Jag market for awhile, but I'd imagine something in the $125 range for a loose console w/controller would be about right.

As for a flash cart, spend more than 30 seconds on this forum and you'll see the thread as it's one of the most popular on here.

i've seen at least 3 here in LaCrosse and owned 3 myself. I got my off The Golden Axe here on Atari Age way back in the day. Gave one to my brother for Christmas traded one for a DSi and use my original w/ cd. The most I paid for one was $45, but man have they cranked up in price. If you want contact Gaming Generations in LaCrosse, WI, they have quite the basement stock pile.

Basically, what you said, it was never an easy to get console. Even in its heyday the only stores that had it was Electronic Boutique and software etc. It wasn't till 9 that walmart got in the ame in select cities. When they were oer with KB Toys Liquidators had a ton of them. But, as a gamer I only knew one other friend that had one, I knew more people that owned a 3do or CDi.

I have seen them pop up at used game stores sporadically over the years, if one pops up it sits and collects dust as it being an odd overpriced console that few people have heard of and the games are een harder to get

Never saw a wild one or games for that matter. I only know of one IRL that a friend had and I bought his collection in the late 90's shortly after getting mine from one of the many liquidators back in the late 90's.

If you find one, pretty much anything less than eBay would be awesome, but if you find one, chances are whoever has it knows exactly what they got.

• Like 1

I think it depends were you were. Sam the Record Man had a gigantic display of them in Toronto in '94. It was impressive, but I had just gone into their flagship store to buy The Best of Blondie for a blowout sale of .99, and skipped on the Jag.

Still, I saw more of them after Atari liquidated than I did during its commercial life, although I wasn't really looking for them at the time. I had lost interest in Atari after they dropped the A8 line in '92, and was still feeling bitter.

There must have been something of a market for them, though. Game stores in Calgary still carried them in 2002, and I picked up a whole mess of titles for $10 each (NIB!) when I started to play the system. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen three in my area of Louisiana, with one having a CD with it (the one that I bought). Got it with Iron Soldier, AVP, WMCJ, Zool 2, a memory track, and Cybermorph (without a label) all loose; a lot of cleaning, a controller, and two power supplies later I had a working Jag and CD with games for about $170 total. Saw another one with a CD in Mobile, Alabama during a stop on the way to Florida recently, but didn't have a price and didn't want to ask (had some questionably high prices there). They don't seem to be very common, but they are out there.

I bought my first one for $175(unit, controller, svideo cable and power supply) from a pawn shop listing on Craigslist when talks of a SD cartridge was first being talked about and then got my second one when I found that B & C Computers (www.myatari.com) still had them as refurbished in the box for $195. looks like new with everything included.

Email them and see if they are still available.

Back in 1997 or 1998, two of the area Kay-Bee Toy Stores literally received mountains of these systems in and they were dumping them at $19.99 a pop and having extreme difficulty getting rid of them because they had no games to sell with them! I myself, a teenager at that time, passed up on buying one because I wasn't sure how or where I would ever find games for one if I did buy one.... plus didn't help I was going to Kay-Bee to buy booster packs of the Star Trek: Collectible Card Game, lol! <sigh>

Needless fast forward to around 2002 and I responded to a classified ad in the local newspaper for someone not two miles from my home selling their Jaguar with games. I got my mom to drive me over and as I'm wrapping up the transaction with a kid no more than ten years old his older brother shows up, slaps him in the face, hands me back my money and explains apologizes for wasting my time as his brother has been trying to sell his stuff out from under him over a argument they'd had the week prior. And that was the last time I encountered a Jaguar in the wild until this week.

Local privately owned game store had one with original box, still with the Kay Bee price tag reading $19.99 on it I may note, asking price with no games $200.00. :-o

Crazy thing is I actually do have a couple of Jaguar game carts at this point. But the systems themselves have become a thing of legend it seems.

Also doesn't help that the regional Goodwill's and Salvation Army Thrift Stores all began a horrible practice a bit over ten years ago where in they literally collect virtually all of the electronics donated to them and sell them it all off as electronics scrap to smelters. Back in the day you could go in and plunder the vast electronics department shelves and bins and find all manner of amazing equipment, game systems, and accessory hardware, but these days it's just the odd VCR and DVD player marked as having been pre-tested at near retail prices. I truly hate to think how many game systems have been sent off to an overseas smelter because of these terrible business practices.

• Like 3

I bought my first one for $175(unit, controller, svideo cable and power supply) from a pawn shop listing on Craigslist when talks of a SD cartridge was first being talked about and then got my second one when I found that B & C Computers (www.myatari.com) still had them as refurbished in the box for $195. looks like new with everything included.

Email them and see if they are still available.

Called the number listed on the website, was told that those prices were no longer applicable but he couldn't update the website and that I should 'check ebay' for what the prices should be. Still waiting for a reply to my email inquiry but it's been over a week.

I picked up mine about a month ago on eBay for $125 bucks. System, power adaptor, and controller. The guy included an NES rf adaptor, but I decided to purchase a composite cable for $35. After that I set out to build a small library of loose cartridges...Cybermorph with overlay bagged for $9, Iton Soldier and a second Jag controller for $29.99, Trevor mcfur for $18, and Flip Out for $16. So yeah I kept it under $250 but I searched everyday and bargained like I was dealing with Persian rugs at a flea market. It can be done.

• Like 2

Called the number listed on the website, was told that those prices were no longer applicable but he couldn't update the website and that I should 'check ebay' for what the prices should be. Still waiting for a reply to my email inquiry but it's been over a week.

Wow, guess I was lucky that I bought it when I did back in April of this year. Prices sure have jumped. Hope you end up finding one at a good price.

He only has NIB Jags on EBay, $600. Sensible Soccer for $300.

I literally just bought a sealed International Sensible Soccer on Amazon for, like, $60. As for loose Jaguars, I can't believe somebody is actually trying to sell a loose one for $300. I bought mine CIB about five years ago with a dozen games (also CIB) for less than that. I know the prices have gone up, but that's just a straight-up gouger. Even on eBay you should be able to find a loose one for $100-150. Sadly, we're past the days where you might be able to waltz into your local resale shop and luck into one at $50.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So if you live around Arlington, Texas there is a Iron Soldier in a roughed up box for $9.99

Movie Trading Company

Address: 4115 S Cooper St #201, Arlington, TX 76015
Hours:
Open today · 10AM–11PM
(May want to call ahead and verify that price.)
post-4709-0-29745000-1511190244_thumb.jpg
Also check the Game Over across the highway. I think they had Brutal Sports Football, though I believe for around $39.99.
Address: 4648 S Cooper St #240, Arlington, TX 76017
Hours:
Open today · 11AM–8PM
Happy hunting!
Edited by doctorclu

The price of Jaguars has skyrocketed in the last two or three years. When I bought a couple about 10-11 years ago, you could buy a working console with power supply, a controller, a common cart or two, and a crappy RF cable for maybe $50 US.

It's too bad, because I think there are a lot of 'legit' old-school gamers who will never get a chance to try out a Jaguar because the price has been driven up by speculators who aren't into the actual games.

• Like 1

When I was at the movie trading company they mentioned they had "Bubsy going back to the Atari Jaguar". I just laughed to my self as everyone things just because it was "Atari" it was the first version.

You should bring your VCS Fast Eddie/Bubsy hack in next time and really throw 'em for a loop. :lol:

• Like 1

I work in the leading "Retro" game store in my country. Out of all the "Unusual Systems" we trade in - Jaguar, 3DO, Neo Geo/CD, CD 32, Virtual Boy, Pippin, CD-i, etc- Jaguar is one of the most common, we see them come in 2-3 times a year at least, which puts them around the same level as 3DO. They always fly off the shelf too, we have a perpetual waiting list for Jag stuff.

We actually see far more Jag than TurboGrafx-16 PC Engine stuff, but that's probably because it never made it here (Ireland)

I will admit though that numbers and prices have gone up in the past few years.

We take Jags in for 50 and sell em with 1 controller, PSU and RF for around 100-120 depending on the condition and prescence of AV cable. We sell boxed for 150-170, again depending on condition.

Demand is high enough that we've had to sell a couple consoles without a controller, even those were snapped up...