IGNORED

Where can I get a new SIO2PC?

Sowden

Hey guys. I have had a SIO2PC/10502PC from Ray and it works great on my PC. But I want it to operate on my Android using the Aspeqt app on my phone. I have now gone through two phones where it just doesn't seem to work, and I am wondering now if its not something with Rays device. So where would you guys suggest that I get another one from? Thanks.

Edited by Sowden

Hey guys. I have had a SIO2PC/10502PC from Ray and it works great on my PC. But I want it to operate on my Android using the Aspeqt app on my phone. I have now gone through two phones where it just doesn't seem to work, and I am wondering now if its not something with Rays device. So where would you guys suggest that I get another one from? Thanks.

I got mine direct from AtariMax: http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

To use a phone as a USB host it needs to support USB OTG mode. Plenty of phones don't, and the USB only works as client/peripheral.

In the Google Play Store there's plenty of apps that can tell you if the phone supports OTG mode. Generally newer Android versions will allow you to mount USB flashdrives if they're connected (use OTG cable or a drive that has an OTG connector).

• Like 1

Yeah I have about two or three USB OTG cables. So I have switched them up to try to solve the problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and a Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen (4G-LTE) that both have USB OTG support. I have a older apk build from some years ago that I keep because it kind of works with it. It reads it and sends information, but it is very figity. I have worked with the author of the app and he was kind of stumped on why it wouldn't work. And I have seen some of the items on AtariMax, but I hear different things about support and responses to customers. Plus those devices are kind of exposed. Rays device was nice because it was a plug-in-play. Has anyone tried lotharek SIO device?

Edited by Sowden

Hi.

I'd love to help you Sowden and I believe your SIO2PC/10502PC should work with usb-serial-for-android library, but I've never tested it and I've also never received any positive feedback from somebody who using it with Aspeqt on Android. If you do not mind sending me the device I could test it and probably make it work.

Cheers,

W.

To use a phone as a USB host it needs to support USB OTG mode. Plenty of phones don't, and the USB only works as client/peripheral.

In the Google Play Store there's plenty of apps that can tell you if the phone supports OTG mode. Generally newer Android versions will allow you to mount USB flashdrives if they're connected (use OTG cable or a drive that has an OTG connector).

To test, plug a mouse or keyboard in and see if you get a cursor if you can type in an app.

Ray's SIO2PC is just an FTDI chip, except that it has the VID/PID changed. This prevents the normal FTDI drivers from detecting the chip as an FTDI serial converter. Somewhere on Ray's site, I think there is the program to set the VID and PID back to the normal ones so the FTDI drivers will recognize it normally.

Ray's SIO2PC is just an FTDI chip, except that it has the VID/PID changed. This prevents the normal FTDI drivers from detecting the chip as an FTDI serial converter. Somewhere on Ray's site, I think there is the program to set the VID and PID back to the normal ones so the FTDI drivers will recognize it normally.

I did that with mine. Regular FTDI drivers work great for both OS X and Win10. And it just works with Linux too (Raspbian on my Pi units).

I would like to see photos of how to do the diode mod so I can use it with real drives in the daisychain; his later revision after mine incorporates that feature.

I did that with mine. Regular FTDI drivers work great for both OS X and Win10. And it just works with Linux too (Raspbian on my Pi units).

I would like to see photos of how to do the diode mod so I can use it with real drives in the daisychain; his later revision after mine incorporates that feature.

I used a 1N914 diode and soldered inline between the TX on the FTDI breakout board and PIN #3 on the SIO out per Madi's suggestion.

See this link: Cheap but Effective.

Especially, posts #16 and 30

Hi DrVenkman

I noticed that you have purchased SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB v3.0 device from Ray (this link.. I think !).

Ray already explained the issue of not being able to use the device (version 3.0 only) with real Disk drives Hear. Have a look at this link. Actually, I purchased the same device from atari8warez. Although he offered a replacement, I decided to keep it as is and not to modify it either.

Please note: If you modify the device, you will lose 10502PC functionality.

madi

• Like 2

Alright, a bit of added questions.

To test, plug a mouse or keyboard in and see if you get a cursor if you can type in an app.

I tested this last night and I got my wireless mouse on my phone that didn't work. I didn't try my other phone, but I have had some other OTG work in the past.

Are you talking about the FTDI EEPROM Programming Utility talked about at the bottom of this page? If I go through this process, how will it work any differently? I will loose my 10502PC ability? How does that work? I have a older version, version 2.0 if I remember correctly. It has two screws where I can open it, should I add a diode? I am sending it off to greblus as he has offered to look at it for me, but if that doesn't work then I guess I'll try this stuff.

Alright, a bit of added questions.

I tested this last night and I got my wireless mouse on my phone that didn't work. I didn't try my other phone, but I have had some other OTG work in the past.

Are you talking about the FTDI EEPROM Programming Utility talked about at the bottom of this page? If I go through this process, how will it work any differently? I will loose my 10502PC ability? How does that work? I have a older version, version 2.0 if I remember correctly. It has two screws where I can open it, should I add a diode? I am sending it off to greblus as he has offered to look at it for me, but if that doesn't work then I guess I'll try this stuff.

No, you don't need to add a diode to your device at all. It uses genuine FT232RL chip. It has a hardware device sensing ability. This means that it will function as SIO2PC and 10502PC.

The version 2.0 devices utilize the original FTDI drivers without modification. Hence, no need to alter device VID/PID.

Read here for more info.

madi

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to help you Sowden and I believe your SIO2PC/10502PC should work with usb-serial-for-android library, but I've never tested it and I've also never received any positive feedback from somebody who using it with Aspeqt on Android. If you do not mind sending me the device I could test it and probably make it work.

Hi again. I've just received SIO2PC/10502PC from Sowden and it works perfectly without any modifications:

So unfortunately the problem is in proper USB-OTG support. On my LG X Power with Sowden's cables Ray's SIO2PC/10502PC works perfectly well.

Cheers,

W.

Yup sure enough, thats my SIO device. Its a bit crazy seeing my device in a video from half way around the world. Anywho, yeah I just have real bad luck with devices with bad OTG support. Its weird because I run apps that says I have it and I can run mouses on it and stuff like that. But I guess it falls short of running old Atari hardware. Guess the phones are old and out of date :grin: For the record I am running a Samsung Galaxy S5 and a Motorola G 2nd gen.