IGNORED

Vic20 frogger development or prototype cart

I guess getting a dump of the cart would be the only way to tell if it's a pre-release cart.

The sticker says RLS.1 That might be Release 1; maybe one cart sent to game journals for an early review? (there are some know cases, with pictures in the test showing graphics different form the released public version).

That looks too "polished" for a development cart, as they were meant to have the ROM swapped or flashed quickly. If it is a proto, then it was near release, maybe in a playtest/demo phase.

The sticker says RLS.1 That might be Release 1; maybe one cart sent to game journals for an early review? (there are some know cases, with pictures in the test showing graphics different form the released public version).

Correct. It's going to be the same as the released version.

Without going through all Frogger clones (*) of the day, I'm sure there are 3.5K tape versions that equal Parker Brothers' 8K cartridge version.

Indeed this is a post-Y2K homebrew which just like every one other homebrew in modern days vastly supercedes the original games, but still:

(*) Ok, I won't link to more videos but games like Froggee, Hopfrog, Hopper, Princess and Frog, Road Toad etc mostly are unexpanded games that are very close to the cartridge graphically and playability.

Edited by carlsson

• 5 years later...

Sorry for the necro-bump, I came across this post with a Google search. I received two Parker Brothers VIC-20 prototype cartridges in the eighties, from a family friend who worked at an electronics store. They looked like this one, no label but a little white sticker with the name of the game on them. I remember the label as handwritten, but that may be incorrect.

One of those games was Q-Bert, which, as far as I can remember was the same as the release version. The other one was Popeye, only the first level was playable, the rest was just static of the level screens. Up to now, I still have never seen any other evidence of the existence of this Popeye port by Parker Brothers.

Interesting to know there was a Frogger prototype as well, first time I've seen such a cartridge in the exact same style as mine were.

9 hours ago, Lamer Deluxe tm said:

One of those games was Q-Bert, which, as far as I can remember was the same as the release version. The other one was Popeye, only the first level was playable, the rest was just static of the level screens. Up to now, I still have never seen any other evidence of the existence of this Popeye port by Parker Brothers.

They ported Popeye to every platform available so it's no surprise that a VIC-20 version was at least started.  What happened to this prototype?  Long gone, I assume?

On 1/7/2023 at 5:27 AM, Psionic said:

They ported Popeye to every platform available so it's no surprise that a VIC-20 version was at least started.  What happened to this prototype?  Long gone, I assume?

Sadly, yes. I got a new computer and my VIC-20 went to my brother. He didn't do much with it and sold everything to someone in the neighborhood.

I vaguely remember that the Popeye prototype stopped working eventually, I don't think I knew about cleaning cartridge contacts at the time. It had regular EPROMs in there, with stickers on their windows (two for 16K), but I don't expect that to have caused problems. As it didn't work anymore, chances are high that it got thrown away by the new owners.