IGNORED

Where does PS2 go?

TheTIGuy

I bet I've been in 8 different Wal-Mart's this year in upstate NY looking for Wii U deals and so on, and the GTA Trilogy is still widely stocked and always present in the bargain section. So I suspect that's the case in many other places (Here's the Brickseek entry for this title to see if there's stock locally to you).

My "local" Wal-Mart store is not exactly geographically close (since, sadly, there is an International Border between us), but I am very surprised to see that there are three copies left in stock, albeit at US$19.95 each (about Cdn $27 :-o ), which is rather high. I have bought PS 2 games there before, but there have been none obviously on the shelf for the past few years.

Wal-Mart (and most every other retailer) in Canada has long stopped selling PS 2 games. There may be some old stock left moldering in small towns somewhere, but it is now relegated to the domain of thrift shops and used game stores. Even most pawnshops no longer sell PS 2 games.

It is right on the line, but I'd say it is still modern - All of the same genres of games are present on the system as we play right now on current consoles. It also uses a very similar controller, has online play, and offers games from franchises that have basically just received a graphical update for 2017.

This is how I think of it. I consider "classic" to be more of an era and styles of games as opposed to a fixed age, although that does generally put "classic games" as pre-2000 systems. A console being 10 or 12 or 20 years old doesn't make it "classic," it just makes it old. IMHO of course. Personal interpretation of the word, I wouldn't say anyone is wrong for considering ps2 a classic console.

• Like 2

Instead of dividing the forum into Classic and Modern Gaming, perhaps it should be divided by video game generations, although that also tends to be a touchy subject how to categorize systems. One category per generation would become much too cluttered, but perhaps one category per three generations and then the discussions remain there for as long as the forum runs, no matter how old the system is.

• Like 1

IMO it's Modern.

Maybe it's because I've been around since the PONG era...

But to analyze it.

It played CDs and DVDs. Modern. It had Optical Output. Modern. It had analog sticks, analog buttons, more than 6 buttons, and rumble (Dual Shock). Modern. It did Not take cartridges. Modern. It did Not have to be Modded to hook up to a modern TV. Modern. It hooked up to the internet, even if it was a pain in the Ass. Modern. It featured Polygons. Modern. 3D. Modern. It had a hard launch date and everyone lining up making headlines in OCT 2000 (I got one!!). Modern. In the days of Atari and NES, systems (and many times, games) just kind of appeared on the shelves. Release dates were approximate at best.

Now as far as DLC and internet stores/games, HD, and wireless controllers (out of the box)...Those things are just More Modern.

FWIW, I could see calling it Classic once it's been around for 25 years, though that is a descriptor based on time and not features...And I probably won't use it but to each his/her own.

• Like 2

To some degree, it also is in the eyes of the beholder. For someone in their mid 40's, the PlayStation 2 has been around for 35-40% of their lifetime and represents yet another generation of gaming that was around in their early adult years. An important console to spread gaming into every household for sure, even adults without children might get one for SingStar or Buzz!

For someone in their early 20's, it has been around for 75-80% of their lifetime and possibly represents the very first video game they got in touch with and grew up with. Compared to newer consoles, these people will find the PS2 dated and relatively speaking classic. Anything that was around before the PS2 simply is ancient and with the exception of NES/SNES/N64 mostly were curiosities.

But the biggest question is which part of the forum you are most likely to get responses to your questions or discussions. Who were those who used to play a lot of PlayStation 2 and still know something about it? Are they the people that hang around in the various 8/16 bit sections of Classic gaming, or are they more likely to be found in this section that generally covers the most recent systems? Obviously you can't crosspost in both. Most people on the forum perhaps browse through all sections anyway, which would make it a moot point where to post.

• Like 3

PS2 hasn't completely disappeared at Wal-Mart.

I bet I've been in 8 different Wal-Mart's this year in upstate NY looking for Wii U deals and so on, and the GTA Trilogy is still widely stocked and always present in the bargain section. So I suspect that's the case in many other places (Here's the Brickseek entry for this title to see if there's stock locally to you).

And just two Black Fridays ago, Wal-Mart even had PS2 games in their national ad. And while I'm skeptical these found their way to retail, Sega this year even commissioned reprints of Yakuza 1-4 for North America. So there's still a sliver of commercial life in the PS2, even at this late date.

While I own the Xbox collection with these three GTA games, if this ever hits $10, I think I'll bite. I bought the last new PS2 console that I ever saw in the wild, so it seems fitting to buy the last new PS2 game I ever see at retail, too.

WTF? There's brand new PS2 games at Walmart? I need to start raiding them. :D

How about a compromise? I'll post in "classic" after 1/6/18 , and "modern" until then. OK?

Works for me!
Edited by jce3000gt
  • Like 1

WTF? There's brand new PS2 games at Walmart? I need to start raiding them. :D

Yeah, i have only ones i have seen are the EyeToy discs at my Wal-Mart, and they were used, so please tell me of this magical city that has PS2 games in a Wal-Mart.

Edited by TheTIGuy

Yeah, i have only ones i have seen are the EyeToy discs at my Wal-Mart, and they were used, so please tell me of this magical city that has PS2 games in a Wal-Mart.

Or you could just go see for yourself.

http://brickseek.com/deal/Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy/28625

Let's check Albany for the first city to pop to mind just now. Checking Wikipedia shows 12214 as a zip code. Entering that into Brickseek shows the following.

Rensselaer (2.9 Miles Away) Quantity 2 - $19.96

Glenmont (3.5 Miles Away) Quantity 3 - $19.96

Albany (5.4 Miles Away) Quantity 6 - $10.00

Latham (6.5 Miles Away) Quantity 2 - $19.96

Troy (8.8 Miles Away) Quantity 3 - $19.96

Schenectady (13.1 Miles Away) Quantity 2 - $19.96

Glenville (16.2 Miles Away) Quantity 2 - $19.96

Amsterdam (30.6 Miles Away) Quantity 4 - $19.96

Catskill (31.1 Miles Away) Quantity 0 (Limited Stock) - $19.96

Saratoga Springs (31.2 Miles Away) Quantity 2 - $19.96

Pittsfield MA (31.3 Miles Away) Quantity 3 - $19.96

Seems widespread enough to me. I'm confident just off random places I've entered, rural and urban, that this holds for most of the US today at Wal-Mart. And I bet the Mortal Kombat Trilogy also is commonplace as a new PS2 game at Wal-Mart, since I was seeing those regularly locally until not too long ago as well (Edit: In stock at 22% of Wal-Mart's, versus 93% for the GTA Trilogy).

Where's this place that doesn't have PS2 games at local Wal-Marts?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Lynnwood, WA Wal Mart has the Grand Theft Auto pack that people mentioned. I am not sure if they had other PS2 games as well or if that was it. I'm pretty sure there were some Wii games as well. These budget games are usually kept in the Value section. Still we have no idea whether these games are still being manufactured or if they are just unsold stock. Here's an alternate scenario: There could have been thousands of unsold copies of games out there if they misjudged the demand. Just instead of throwing them away like Atari, they find it better to leave them on the Value shelves because maybe they will eventually sell to the right person. Why throw away money if there is still plenty of shelf space? Then again if they were really trying to get rid of them, they would discount them and put them on the clearance shelf which has not happened yet. So maybe they are still being printed.

• 2 weeks later...

Lynnwood, WA Wal Mart has the Grand Theft Auto pack that people mentioned. I am not sure if they had other PS2 games as well or if that was it. I'm pretty sure there were some Wii games as well. These budget games are usually kept in the Value section. Still we have no idea whether these games are still being manufactured or if they are just unsold stock. Here's an alternate scenario: There could have been thousands of unsold copies of games out there if they misjudged the demand. Just instead of throwing them away like Atari, they find it better to leave them on the Value shelves because maybe they will eventually sell to the right person. Why throw away money if there is still plenty of shelf space? Then again if they were really trying to get rid of them, they would discount them and put them on the clearance shelf which has not happened yet. So maybe they are still being printed.

I am pretty darn sure they aren't, and the only PS2 games at my walmart are EyeToy games and some dancing game, and frankly, i don't think my mum would be to fond of me getting GTA.

Maybe it'll be easier to classify games as pre-millennium (1977-2000) and post-millennium (2001-Present). Yes if you go by the age of the PS2 then it should be "classic", but playing devil's advocate I'd say that 6th generation games feel modern because they look and play the same way...only difference is they were in standard definition instead of HD.

To me, 8 and 16 bit games are classics because they're in a 2D style that's not used anymore and any current indy games that do are considered retro anyway.

(As for 5th generation games, they had 3D graphics & gameplay but it was very experimental and by the 6th generation modern gameplay was figured out to be standardized.)

That's my thoughts at least...

Maybe it'll be easier to classify games as pre-millennium (1977-2000) and post-millennium (2001-Present). Yes if you go by the age of the PS2 then it should be "classic", but playing devil's advocate I'd say that 6th generation games feel modern because they look and play the same way...only difference is they were in standard definition instead of HD.

To me, 8 and 16 bit games are classics because they're in a 2D style that's not used anymore and any current indy games that do are considered retro anyway.

(As for 5th generation games, they had 3D graphics & gameplay but it was very experimental and by the 6th generation modern gameplay was figured out to be standardized.)

That's my thoughts at least...

The issue here is some consoles (Say, Sega DreamCast?) are part of a generation but came before others. Also, 1977 is NOT the starting point (Magnavox oddesy, anyone?), and even cart based platforms are older than that (1975 Fairchild Channel F)

1977 is the starting point because anything before that nobody really gives gave a shit about, I mean I remember getting a Radio Shack pong around 75' or 76', ho hum....... nobody had a Magnavox and a bunch instead had Pong/handheld football units like me and everybody had board games....then along comes the Atari 2600 and revolutionized everything, i'm not trying to sound like some old crony or hate on Magnavox but that's just the way it was.

My cut-off is 3D but I have to agree that the PS2 and anything around the year 2000 is classic by now. We're all getting old(er)

• Like 3

I guess without even specifically mentioning it, (in my post) I was also thinking in terms of AtariAge.

When did this website appear? I'm guessing 2001 or 2002. Even if it was 2000. Obviously, at that point in time, the PS2 would be considered modern...

Now I know times have changed,...but still thought it bore pointing out.

Although I've never specifically read much here on PS2, my gut tells me if you were to look back at old posts, you'd find them under "Modern"...

Edited by GoldLeader

1977 is the starting point because anything before that nobody really gives gave a shit about, I mean I remember getting a Radio Shack pong around 75' or 76', ho hum....... nobody had a Magnavox and a bunch instead had Pong/handheld football units like me and everybody had board games....then along comes the Atari 2600 and revolutionized everything, i'm not trying to sound like some old crony or hate on Magnavox but that's just the way it was.
My cut-off is 3D but I have to agree that the PS2 and anything around the year 2000 is classic by now. We're all getting old(er)

Tell that to everyone that spent $100 on a Oddesy and $300 on a Magnavox TV (This is a joke, please do not take seriously)