IGNORED

800 keycaps

Savetz

I'm restoring a 1200XL right now myself, and parts like keyboards are rare and expensive for it, It was missing the R and M keys. So I borrowed those keys from a 600XL I use as salvage, and a bit of hot glue, and bob's your uncle. They do have texturing though, so not quite a perfect match.

post-149-0-94448400-1501964515_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
1 minute ago, SviRu said:

Could anyone tell me if 800 had the same shiny caps as 1200xl? Mine is not so shiny. I wonder how did it look like from factory.

THe 1200xl keyboard is much more shiny/glossy , well at lest mine is 

I think if you have the mitsumi mylar keyboard with your 800 then it is shiny, as it is almost identical to the 1200XL keyboard in that respect, that also has a similar mitsumi mylar setup.

If you have one of the Stakepole/Hi-tek 800 keyboards some can have shiny keycaps, whilst others are not. 

I've had both hi-tek post style keyboards as well as the mitsumi mylar type keyboards on my 800's.

42 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I think if you have the mitsumi mylar keyboard with your 800 then it is shiny, as it is almost identical to the 1200XL keyboard in that respect, that also has a similar mitsumi mylar setup.

If you have one of the Stakepole/Hi-tek 800 keyboards some can have shiny keycaps, whilst others are not. 

I've had both hi-tek post style keyboards as well as the mitsumi mylar type keyboards on my 800's.

hmm need to read more about how to distinguish them. I don't know what I have. Bought it yesterday.

51 minutes ago, SviRu said:

hmm need to read more about how to distinguish them. I don't know what I have. Bought it yesterday.

Open up the casing and take a few pics.

Hi-tek, (little white posts crack/perish over time and can be a pain to fix):

My Atari 800 Keyboard Repair - Atari 8-Bit Computers - AtariAge Forums    image.thumb.png.df73a46d07ad1b791b849ae71c53128a.png

Mitsumi (mylar) - These can be equally tricky to fix (I've fixed a few now):

IMG_2561b.thumb.JPG.902423328bfde81927283b8649abdee2.JPG   IMG_2568b.thumb.JPG.649f679e4fe5b05149306a54753b62be.JPG  IMG_2572b.thumb.JPG.c16af32106bac33676de6d574d6b9eaa.JPG

Stakpole (similar to Hi-tek and prone to the same cracking of the posts):

IMG_2586a.thumb.JPG.daf45c7b8a9098b3fc2d52525317a18e.JPG  IMG_2591b.thumb.JPG.b22a781ab9c85ac1f66dbb58d3ecba83.JPG

Stakpole and Hitek can share some single keycaps as cross compatible, but some aren't, (ie the tab, shift, ctrl, (space?) keys for example are not cross compatible as the post mounts are offset on the stakpole keyboards but not on the hi-tek.

The Mitsumi mylar type cannot share keycaps with the others as totally different mounting (a cross under the keycap as opposed to the post type for the other two.

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Open up the casing and take a few pics.

Hi-tek, (little white posts crack/perish over time and can be a pain to fix):

My Atari 800 Keyboard Repair - Atari 8-Bit Computers - AtariAge Forums    image.thumb.png.df73a46d07ad1b791b849ae71c53128a.png

Mitsumi (mylar) - These can be equally tricky to fix (I've fixed a few now):

IMG_2561b.thumb.JPG.902423328bfde81927283b8649abdee2.JPG   IMG_2568b.thumb.JPG.649f679e4fe5b05149306a54753b62be.JPG  IMG_2572b.thumb.JPG.c16af32106bac33676de6d574d6b9eaa.JPG

Stakpole (similar to Hi-tek and prone to the same cracking of the posts):

IMG_2586a.thumb.JPG.daf45c7b8a9098b3fc2d52525317a18e.JPG  IMG_2591b.thumb.JPG.b22a781ab9c85ac1f66dbb58d3ecba83.JPG

Stakpole and Hitek can share some single keycaps as cross compatible, but some aren't, (ie the tab, shift, ctrl, (space?) keys for example are not cross compatible as the post mounts are offset on the stakpole keyboards but not on the hi-tek.

The Mitsumi mylar type cannot share keycaps with the others as totally different mounting (a cross under the keycap as opposed to the post type for the other two.

Perfect = thanks. I'll try to figure this out without opening it. 

Opening is dead easy tbh - just take it slow. See my incognito install guide in my signature which includes as picture by picture dismantle/reassemble guide.

Stakpole and Hi-tek keycaps can be pulled off very easily btw.

Incidentally does the computer power up and does the keyboard fully work? :)

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Opening is dead easy tbh - just take it slow. See my incognito install guide in my signature which includes as picture by picture dismantle/reassemble guide.

Stakpole and Hi-tek keycaps can be pulled off very easily btw.

Incidentally does the computer power up and does the keyboard fully work? :)

To be honest I only tested it on site of purchase... It was quick and I was about to take 1200xl... but left with 800... I played only one game on it from the cart. Didn't test the keyboard. I will get PSU tommorow. So... I hope everything works fine :) Is the video output pinout the same on 800 as it is on 800xl? Composite pin?

Oh one more maybe you can help me without making another thread - What is the best CART for 48k 800. AVG, UNO CART, ULTIMATE, SIDE 2, SIDE 3? I need a cart. I would rather buy a cart than sio2sd / pc.

Edited by SviRu

A few important things. 

The 800 has up to 48k, but it might have less installed. 

Not all Multicarts will run on it, even if it has 48k. SIDE3 requires a 64k machine if I recall. 

Most importantly make sure you arent running any old power supply with it. I am assuming you are running with an original Atari 9v Ac power supply or modern 9v Ac equivalent? Whatever you do don't use a DC power supply with it. 

To give you an idea I have bought the following modern compatible (UK) equivalent for my 800, (where also an adapter for the end plug was needed in this instance). 

3000ma (3a) 9v 27VA AC/AC Mains Power Adaptor

https://www.poweradaptorsuk.co.uk/3000ma-3a-9v-27va-acac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.asp

3000ma-3a-9v-27va-ac-ac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.jpg

Adapter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225077999696

5.5mm x 2.1mm Female to 5.5mm x 2.5mm Male Plug Jack DC Power Adapter connector

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edit: the other thing to bare in mind is that most multi carts will be too tall for the 800's cart bay door to close. If they can't close the machine won't power on, as the cart door activates a secondary switch. There are ways to press this switch and therefore keep the bay door open, or you bypass the switch. (involves opening it up). 

Some carts may also be a little wide and thus a very tight fit in the cart bay. (The 800's plastic cage can be a little restrictive). 

The cart you buy will need to fit in the left cart port. 

I am thinking maybe go for a Fujinet which plugs into the Sio port and also gives wireless functionality.

Have a look at the pinned newbies section top of this forum for links to various info about these devices. Plus Google is your friend. :)

It's a real pity you passed on the 1200XL. Only around 100k-125k were ever made in the 80s as there was only a very small production period. I have one in near mint condition which I had shipped over from the States. It's a lovely machine. Not that 800's aren't. They are great and even better with the incognito mod installed. :)

Edit: and to answer your question you can use a din5 to composite cable or a din5 to svideo cable. The 800's output on svideo is great. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

A few important things. 

The 800 has up to 48k, but it might have less installed. 

Not all Multicarts will run on it, even if it has 48k. SIDE3 requires a 64k machine if I recall. 

Most importantly make sure you arent running any old power supply with it. I am assuming you are running with an original Atari 9v Ac power supply or modern 9v Ac equivalent? Whatever you do don't use a DC power supply with it. 

To give you an idea I have bought the following modern compatible (UK) equivalent for my 800, (where also an adapter for the end plug was needed in this instance). 

3000ma (3a) 9v 27VA AC/AC Mains Power Adaptor

https://www.poweradaptorsuk.co.uk/3000ma-3a-9v-27va-acac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.asp

3000ma-3a-9v-27va-ac-ac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.jpg

Adapter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225077999696

5.5mm x 2.1mm Female to 5.5mm x 2.5mm Male Plug Jack DC Power Adapter connector

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edit: the other thing to bare in mind is that most multi carts will be too tall for the 800's cart bay door to close. If they can't close the machine won't power on, as the cart door activates a secondary switch. There are ways to press this switch and therefore keep the bay door open, or you bypass the switch. (involves opening it up). 

Some carts may also be a little wide and thus a very tight fit in the cart bay. (The 800's plastic cage can be a little restrictive). 

The cart you buy will need to fit in the left cart port. 

I am thinking maybe go for a Fujinet which plugs into the Sio port and also gives wireless functionality.

Have a look at the pinned newbies section top of this forum for links to various info about these devices. Plus Google is your friend. :)

It's a real pity you passed on the 1200XL. Only around 100k-125k were ever made in the 80s as there was only a very small production period. I have one in near mint condition which I had shipped over from the States. It's a lovely machine. Not that 800's aren't. They are great and even better with the incognito mod installed. :)

Edit: and to answer your question you can use a din5 to composite cable or a din5 to svideo cable. The 800's output on svideo is great. 

Thnx in a first place. I have bought something like that. 1300mA 9V. But not from China. Something made in EU. Nice quality. 5.5mm/2.5mm. Should be fine. I read like 100 pages. But there is no comprehensive tutorial / review what is good what is not. For 800. There is a lot of info for 800xl and so on. Some carts do not let you close the flap. Most of them... Some do not work - SIDE might not work. There is no clear direction :) But I will figure it out. I have a NTSC machine. Living in EU. 

Hi. I'd be hugely cautious about your chosen power supply. Get it wrong and your could fry the 800!!

So long as the power supply is definitely AC and not a DC power supply, and has the same output range as I've detailed above it will be OK.  

Upload an image of it and it's spec if in doubt. Not worth the risk not getting the power supply spec right first time round. 

The info is all here on AA, you just need to search for it. I tend to use Google and prefix a search with AtariAge. 

Another thing to bare in mind is because the 800 is older than the Xl/XE it had an older OS. I am over simplifying it but it means some games for XL/XE won't run on it, irrespective of the Ram requirement.

The best advice now you have your 800 is to spend lots of time searching and reading up on things. You'll be in a better position to enjoy the machine that way and will avoid disappointment investing in something you find isn't right for you. 

Again check out the newbies pinned topic on the forum, which also has a link to the atarimania website Atari faq. 

As I always say, it's retro computing so you have to read up on a lot and there is a learning curve. It's very rewarding and interesting learning about everything. 

Edit: also the 800 doesn't have certain signals hooked up internally that at XL/XE has.. This can mean some carts won't work without some small internal tweaking:

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart/atari-800-fix

Not trying to put you off getting a cart. I suspect AVG cart might be a good one. I still think Fujinet via Sio port will be a very good option for you. Lots of info and dedicated Fujinet threads on AA including a pinned one. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

35 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I tend to use Google and prefix a search with AtariAge

Even better is not using just "atariage" as an extra search term, but use "site:atariage.com". Not many people seem to know about these options google search supports anymore, but this limits the search to this domain name specifically :) Works a lot better than the forum search IMHO.

Edited by ivop
  • Thanks 1