IGNORED

some more 15 pin gameport pc to 5200 adapters

bohoki

I have both the white one (15 pin connector) and the gray USB one. I primarily use them without the joystick... but having the stick is nice for games like Pac-Man or Dig Dug.

All we have to do it pit a small marble sized ball on top of the stick and well have a mini-arcade controller. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to let all the people who messaged me that i am working on some adapters i dont want to make a deadline but i think i found a california seller of the plug i needed so it wont take a month like china ones

just hang in there

I sent a pm, hope I can get on the list for 2.

I went ahead and bought a couple of the Gravis pc game pads on ebay. They are brand new and I hope they are the right ones. There are more left.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Gravis-PC-Gamepad-Control-Pad-w-Joystick-New-Never-Used-in-Packaging/253833614065?epid=1624622441&hash=item3b19a992f1:g:0m4AAOSwdaBbYJi1

I sent a pm, hope I can get on the list for 2.

I went ahead and bought a couple of the Gravis pc game pads on ebay. They are brand new and I hope they are the right ones. There are more left.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Gravis-PC-Gamepad-Control-Pad-w-Joystick-New-Never-Used-in-Packaging/253833614065?epid=1624622441&hash=item3b19a992f1:g:0m4AAOSwdaBbYJi1

Should work fine.

• Like 1

i just want to let all the people who messaged me that i am working on some adapters i dont want to make a deadline but i think i found a california seller of the plug i needed so it wont take a month like china ones

just hang in there

Thanks so much! How hard would it be to install these connections in a project box where you could mount the connectors to the box(and hiding all the wiring inside) and just use a 5200 extender cable from the box(your adapter cable) to the 5200?

Edited by inthe80s

I wish the market was large enough to have these factory made.

There are some very clever folks on these boards who could properly engineer a single-piece dual ended 15 DB connector with all the goods. I wish I could pull that together myself! However, bohoki’s piece does the trick. Works like a charm!

i got the bits all together now but realize i am lazy and easily distracted and my soldering iron tip needs retinning and my bike chain came off the sprocket and i just stepped on a lego so give me more time

the female ends are white and of good quaility the shields are shiny and chrome

JQa8CIP.jpg

• Like 3

got a bit of work done i do little sub assemblys its so much wire stripping it always drives me crazy i bought 2 automatic wire strippers and neither of them work worth a damn with this wire that i have a spool of so i have to use my crappy jenson with a broken return spring

so far i have assembled the aux start button and the 5200 pass through plug and attached the capacitors to the gameport plug

still need to strip and tin both sides of the 6 wire cables so 6x10x2

attach one side to the 5200 plug

then connect the gameport plug to the other

then attach the passthrough wire to the top row

attach the start button to pins 4 and 7

then do some plug modifications

test them (because my lazyness is closely matched to my ineptitude)

probably have to fix 5 of them

attach the plug housings

round up enough padded envelopes

1ktUF5f.jpg

ps if you want to know what order i put the wires on its fairly random

like today the first wire i had was splayed out bl,bl-w,o,o-w,g,g-w,br,br-w so thats how the first one was attached then i just copied it over and over

Edited by bohoki
  • Like 2

only one left

some peeps want a manual

well there is not much too it

here are some helpfull suggestions

plug in the joysticks before plugging it into the 5200 (no reason to do that electriclly but to releave any jostling and strain on the 5200 jack

insert into 5200 console with care the plug is not an exact fit and slightly puts strain on the pins remove with care as well insert straight remove straight

the device works without needing a 5200 controller i get by with most games just using the aux start button

the aux start button is a recycled micro pushbutton it can be replaced with any other momentary start button if you should choose to splice another on (for length)

the 5200 controller plug port it was motified slightly to accept the locking nubs be aware it may fit snuggly and may scratch the plug slightly

i suggest on first use with an analog joystick to play missile command and adjust the sliders to get the crosshair centered

when using a gamepad i suggest playing dig dug first to make sure it goes up down left right and both buttons work

certain games i have experieced weirdness with popeye sometimes refuses to go down it often corrects itself after a couple power cycles

vanguard was acting weird but seemed to fix itself

thank you for your purchase of this haphazardly constructed device if you experiece any problems send me a note

Edited by bohoki
  • Like 2

Thank you to Bohoki for the quick write-up.

I say again, the device does the job brilliantly. The ability to use a good-ol' D-Pad on the 5200 breathes new life into the console and completely transforms game play. Can't stop playing:

• Defender
  • Sinistar
  • Rainbow Walker
  • Frogger
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Miner 2049er
  • Robotron: 2084
  • Rescue on Fractalus
  • Ballblazer
  • Mario Bros.
  • Pengo

I recently picked up a 27" Sony WEGA for free, and the S-video resolution is fantastic!

I now feel that my 5200 is true arcade gaming machine that I could take to my brother's house and jam on some Defender. It's just so simple with the game pads!

I only wish there were more arcade titles because games are so playable now and POKEY sound is awesome!

This is awesome. Folks here, how is the gravis pc gamepad's d-pad? I've heard conflicting stories. Some folks really love that controller.

I thought the Gravis pad was quite perfect as a beginner controller. Mine stopped working, so I switched to the black “Gamepad!” PC gamepad. It’s also very good, but a bit chunkier, and is perfectly compatible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...