IGNORED

My 7800 HDMI mod

IJoeG

It may be worth it to try Dig Dug under "Commando mode" too. Any game that utilizes the Hue $1x range significantly (2 of the 4 layers of ground for Dig Dug), would likely improve in appearance.

Do any of the resolution settings (480/720/1080), automatically provide/preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio? No big deal as that usually can be managed manually by a simple button press on the display's remote; just curious though.

Trebor I'm not sure exactly what the abilities of his particular converter is able to do, but the one I use is NOT able to switch aspect ratios and presents everything in 16:9 mode through the HDMI out. So, luckily my TV allows me to set it to "Normal" on the wide setting. This actually forces my TV into 4:3 aspect through HDMI.

Having said that, my last TV I was using in my game room didn't allow you to change the aspect on the digital video inputs and so you were always stuck in 16:9 mode on it. One of the reasons I got rid of it...

I do like how he was able to get the colors setup more accurately for Commando. The only way I could do something similar is to use one of the presets as the default and then use custom for the "commando mode". However, I never use the presets on my TVs and always calibrate them to my liking. So...it isn't possible on my Sony to setup a different mode to switch to like that. I am curious what settings he might have used on his TV to do it though...

• Like 1

It may be worth it to try Dig Dug under "Commando mode" too. Any game that utilizes the Hue $1x range significantly (2 of the 4 layers of ground for Dig Dug), would likely improve in appearance.

Do any of the resolution settings (480/720/1080), automatically provide/preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio? No big deal as that usually can be managed manually by a simple button press on the display's remote; just curious though.

I never would of thought to check dig dug, I just assumed the green level was normal. It looks much better under commando mode.

Switching the converter between 480,720 or 1080 does not affect aspect ratio. It does however effect the screen. I didn't even notice it right away. in 720 or 1080 i get about a 1/2" blur across the bottom of the screen while scrolling up in Commando. When switched to 480 that goes away completely. The overall picture in 1080 or 720 is slightly better tho.

I am curious what settings he might have used on his TV to do it though...

Advanced settings on my TV has a few dozen setting you can mess with. I tried changing individual color settings for tint, color and brightness among several other things but to be honest the only thing that really changed the picture much was just reducing the main tint.

• Like 1

So your's can adjust between 480, 720, and 1080? That's really cool. Mine is like 5 years old and will only allow me to change between 720 and 1080. But it does allow me to also change between 50hz and 60hz and provides an HDMI passthrough so that the HDMI can still be used. So technically I can plug both a composite and s-video input source plus HDMI all at once. However, the composite and s-video share the audio input of course. You're results also coincide with mine using the same type of converter.

On your TV if you just adjusted the main Tint hue setting, how much did that effect other video sources after you adjusted that?

I never would of thought to check dig dug, I just assumed the green level was normal. It looks much better under commando mode.

Cool. Indeed, that Dig Dug ground level should not be green, that (top) level should be a nice rich yellow. There are a bunch of other game cases too. Ikari Warriors ground will see an improvement as well, though that is more console warm up (Ground is the Hue $14/Ex range) than the tint/hue setting. It will likely improve noticeably though, regardless.

Scrapyard Dog is another one. The fence and some of the large mice utilize Hue $14/Ex range, console warm up coupled with the proper tint will help their appearance also.

Switching the converter between 480,720 or 1080 does not affect aspect ratio. It does however effect the screen. I didn't even notice it right away. in 720 or 1080 i get about a 1/2" blur across the bottom of the screen while scrolling up in Commando. When switched to 480 that goes away completely. The overall picture in 1080 or 720 is slightly better tho.

Nice discovery. I have one passthru/converter that manages the 4:3 without having to touch the TV with a switch on the converter box itself...Need to dig that device up.

Advanced settings on my TV has a few dozen setting you can mess with. I tried changing individual color settings for tint, color and brightness among several other things but to be honest the only thing that really changed the picture much was just reducing the main tint.

If Atari 2600 Pitfall! is available to test, a similar outcome will be experienced. Pitfall's dual color platform/ground utilizes the Hue $1x range. It should be in the gold range not looking greenish. It will likely lean greenish without a tint adjustment on a modern display.

Bryan's UAV mod picture clarity is fantastic - no doubt, a very sharp image. Unfortunately, it suffers from the same overly green lean other non-RGB adjusted mods provide on modern displays. Colors look wonderful on a CRT though. Furthermore, until someone comes along with a similar product as 2600RGB and NESRGB, this video modification appears to be the best one available for the 7800 currently. :)

Your added touch of the built in HDMI is quite excellent as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks to you, and -^Cro§Bow^- for posting about it. Extra thanks to Bryan for supporting the 7800 console...Very awesome of you, sir!

• 1 month later...

I just got a mini HDMI converter a couple of weeks ago. I finally got around to messing with it and I did a quick measurement of the A draw. Mine draws 340mA. Just thought it could be useful for somebody, they probably don't vary all that much. :)

CPU I'm sure you're correct about that. Most of these converters I'm sure are the exact same board or nearly the same inside and with the same components. So given that, it is safe to assume that a 2amp output capable 7805 would be able to handle this just fine. However, the actual power supply itself might be the next issue as the 7800 I believe gets close to 750ma itself on current draw. (Part of the reason the original 7805s actually toast themselves in these things). So even with a 1amp output on the power supply you are already near or at the max current capability of the wall wart.

For me, I'm just sticking with using my old converter externally on its own power supply. Especially since I have like 5/6 other things going into it through an AV switcher. Would be way more expensive to get converters for each to hack inside them and then get a decent HDMI multi AV back to the TV. Might result in less hardware needed to do the job, but this way if the converter burns out, I only have 1 converter to worry about replacing in the future.

I'm interested in how this hdmi converter compares to the Framemeister. I'd like to find an affordable alternative to that. I tried a Blackweb brand one from Walmart and it was terrible. Colors were more vibrant, but no better on the blur and had major wierd ghosting.

I just got a mini HDMI converter a couple of weeks ago. I finally got around to messing with it and I did a quick measurement of the A draw. Mine draws 340mA. Just thought it could be useful for somebody, they probably don't vary all that much. :)

Thank you, This is very helpful.

I'm working on another addition/mod to my hdmi 7800 :)

CPU I'm sure you're correct about that. Most of these converters I'm sure are the exact same board or nearly the same inside and with the same components. So given that, it is safe to assume that a 2amp output capable 7805 would be able to handle this just fine.

no one ever thinks of the heat of these things, yea it can do 2 amps but the power dissipation as heat doesn't change, so if the things are already "hot" with 3/4 of an amp what's going to happen if you add more load?

one of those little switch mode replacements would be great for something like this, if it doesn't mess with the video / audio signals from noise, and like you mention the wall adapter is up to the task

Well..that isn't what I was advised. Since the 2amp output units I believe has the same heat max as the old 1amp does, it would stand to reason that if it has the same max heat ratings and output at 2amps that a 1amp does, then wouldn't it produce less heat if it isn't putting out a full 2amps to dissipate? I've only installed the 2amp versions in my Genesis model 1 and I can tell you for fact, that it corrected the video issues I was getting with that system once it had been on for about 30min - hour and it doesn't feel nearly as warm as it used to with the old 7805s that were in it before.

Also the DC-DC converters would work just fine, but again in the case of both my Genesis model 1 and my TurboDUO I did have noticable audio hissing that wasn't there before. It isn't that bad at all with the DUO but it was sever on the Genesis. So yes, they do work, but they can cause more inteference, even though they are supposed to contain filtering within them and aren't supposed to require any additional filtering. Just depends on case by case basis. I can tell you that I've never had any video issues from using the DC-DC converters yet. At least now with composite and s-video that I've seen. Only the audio issues from the 2 consoles I did install them in.

Well..that isn't what I was advised. Since the 2amp output units I believe has the same heat max as the old 1amp does

heat max doesnt mean its the max heat its going to produce, its the max heat its going to handle before going into protect mode.

it would stand to reason that if it has the same max heat ratings and output at 2amps that a 1amp does, then wouldn't it produce less heat if it isn't putting out a full 2amps to dissipate?

you need to look at degrees per watt if both are equal its not going to run any cooler with the same load attached

I've only installed the 2amp versions in my Genesis model 1 and I can tell you for fact, that it corrected the video issues I was getting with that system once it had been on for about 30min - hour and it doesn't feel nearly as warm as it used to with the old 7805s that were in it before.

well yea, electronics have gotten better since the late 80's, back then their voltage drop was greater, and they might run 65-75c per watt, today you can get 7805's with a 1.something voltage drop and running 50c per watt

Whatever, the heatsink in the 7800 is massive. Put some thermal paste on the regulator and forget about it.

it is, the point was just cause the regulator has a higher current rating doesnt mean its going to get any cooler, it just means its not going to go into protect mode as soon and is expected to be bolted to a brick, not a dumpy cheap stamping

Edited by Osgeld

I haven't had any heat issues so far. I purchased a 2 amp 7805 voltage regulator but have held off on installing it. I wanted to see if there was anymore heat generated from the HDMI modded 7800 compared to just an S-video modded unit. After playing both 7800's for several weeks now, there hasn't been any noticeable heat difference between the two machines. I still plan on upgrading the voltage regulator but I just wanted to see what would happen if I left it alone. I actually left my HDMI modded 7800 on for 3 days so I wouldn't lose my place on Bently bear. It was hot but not any more then just playing it for a few hours. I have really enjoyed my HDMI machine, its simple to connect, just one HDMI cord and the video is amazing.

I should mention, Im not using any equipment to measure heat. I have the screws out so I can remove the top and touch the heatsink.

Lag was mentioned before about using these and I can attest that there is indeed some lag. It will depend on the upscaler of course as well as the TV and what settings are in use on it. On my setup with this exact same connection setup, I have about a 4 - 6 frame per second lag overall.

So yeah, there is some lag here, but you do get used to it. I will tell you that Bentley can be a challenge with it however, since you have to know when the enemies will appear and make sure to get the timing right on defeating them.

Lag was mentioned before about using these and I can attest that there is indeed some lag. It will depend on the upscaler of course as well as the TV and what settings are in use on it. On my setup with this exact same connection setup, I have about a 4 - 6 frame per second lag overall.

So yeah, there is some lag here, but you do get used to it. I will tell you that Bentley can be a challenge with it however, since you have to know when the enemies will appear and make sure to get the timing right on defeating them.

If there is noticeable lag I wouldn't use it myself.

And you don't have to...

For me, after 5 years of everything connected up in this manner, I've gotten quite used to it and in fact, gaming on a CRT now messes me up on the few times I do use one (Mainly for testing consoles..etc). The ease of having so many systems connected up and once through s-video/Composite, through one of these converters, to my HD receiver and then to my TV makes it worth it to me.

There is no noticeable lag with my set up. Ive played several different games and and haven't noticed any lag yet.

I'm using a fairly expensive upscaler tho, around $180 new. I bought a used one on Ebay for $50. This is the the one I used, Startech VID2HDCON

There is no noticeable lag with my set up. Ive played several different games and and haven't noticed any lag yet.

I'm using a fairly expensive upscaler tho, around $180 new. I bought a used one on Ebay for $50. This is the the one I used, Startech VID2HDCON

Good to know options are out there.