IGNORED

Injection Mold Cart Shells

vidak

I had the idea to make Christmas tree ornaments out of 2600 cartridges. However,

the hook / string would be attached by putting a hole in the Top of the cartridge. Labels

would be put on upside down, opposite of a normal cartridge. Shells would be

empty to reduce weight.

I thought classic game labels would be cool like, Yars Revenge, Asteroids, etc..

However, they could be anything.

Just throwing this out there.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Was curious to see the quality of these shells so I ordered one off of eBay. My observations:

• They look to be a very faithful knock off of the second generation (picture label) Atari cartridges, with all the pros and cons (depending on your disposition) of that design. Namely: holes in the label side of the cart and three slight indentations on the end label side, plus all the moving parts associated with the dust cover.
  • I don't like all the moving parts of this particular design, but that's just me.
  • I wonder if making a more or less exact replica of the old cartridge design is the "right" thing to do. I guess you can make authentic looking carts, but I kind of like to be able to distinguish new vs vintage. Maybe just me. I guess ordering a color shell would accomplish that.
  • No branding/logos on the shell, which is a big plus.
  • It fits just fine in all my Atari models (light, heavy and jr). Felt a tad tighter in the heavy than a real 2nd gen Atari cart, but not problematically so.

Great shell. Wish they were a tad cheaper.

Edited by trent

Was curious to see the quality of these shells so I ordered one off of eBay. My observations:

• They look to be a very faithful knock off of the second generation (picture label) Atari cartridges, with all the pros and cons (depending on your disposition) of that design. Namely: holes in the label side of the cart and three slight indentations on the end label side, plus all the moving parts associated with the dust cover.
  • I don't like all the moving parts of this particular design, but that's just me.
  • I wonder if making a more or less exact replica of the old cartridge design is the "right" thing to do. I guess you can make authentic looking carts, but I kind of like to be able to distinguish new vs vintage. Maybe just me. I guess ordering a color shell would accomplish that.
  • No branding/logos on the shell, which is a big plus.
  • It fits just fine in all my Atari models (light, heavy and jr). Felt a tad tighter in the heavy than a real 2nd gen Atari cart, but not problematically so.

Great shell. Wish they were a tad cheaper.

Thank you for the feedback. As for the price if you buy in quantity the price drops a lot.