IGNORED

I wish a gamecom sd card and more

johannesmutlu

I wish to see a sd card for the gamecom going happen despites the limited succes it had with the limited struggled versions ports and games it has.

And theres the very very slooooow responsive lcd screen wich ruins playing platform games.

But still i see high potential in it, what about an sd card wich you could put good homebrew games on it with no motion hinder of the lcd screen, wich bring me to my second point,,,

How about an homebrew internet card for both the gamecom & gamecom pocket pro and being compatible with all services and future services via firmware update, even if that internet will be text based again,but we can still use ascil characters to create graphics.

Now if we could create an wireless adaptor to modulated the gamecom to modern internet modems,you will not long stick at an short wire.

Now if we can get acces to wap versions of ebay,hotmail,face book,paypal and what'sapp etc,,,, that would be absolutely fantastic because not only will you make the internet and gamecom usefull again but you can also do some exciting business with it and the slow responsive will not interrupt you no more and it will feel very rewarding.

It's time to bringing new life to this primit onive hardware but still have such huge influance the internet,would be so cool!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is lynx forum, a whole different beast LOL.

I'd love an SD card thing for the game.com though, its only got 20ish titles for it, and I know lots of people hated it, but I like mine and some of the games. And if it makes you happy, that's all that's important, pay no attention to the haters :P

As for the screen, nothing can be done about that (with existing games) as it generates its shading by physically refreshing the screen four times to get different shades.

I know of no homebrew games, like I said, generally people hate it. But if some enterprising person wanted to do one, I'd suggest having a video controller option, one for smoothest operation (allowing a game to move constantly, though blurry) and a second option for best image (require the game to change frames after a full cycle, it would drop refresh to 12.5 frames a second, but eliminate smearing)

As far as I'm aware, the production games aren't dumped, I'll google later, and there is no emulator as far as I'm aware, not sure how an SD card would work for it, but I'd still like one.

BTW, what games you have? What do you like about them or the system?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to see a sd card for the gamecom going happen despites the limited succes it had with the limited struggled versions ports and games it has.

And theres the very very slooooow responsive lcd screen wich ruins playing platform games.

But still i see high potential in it, what about an sd card wich you could put good homebrew games on it with no motion hinder of the lcd screen, wich bring me to my second point,,,

How about an homebrew internet card for both the gamecom & gamecom pocket pro and being compatible with all services and future services via firmware update, even if that internet will be text based again,but we can still use ascil characters to create graphics.

Now if we could create an wireless adaptor to modulated the gamecom to modern internet modems,you will not long stick at an short wire.

Now if we can get acces to wap versions of ebay,hotmail,face book,paypal and what'sapp etc,,,, that would be absolutely fantastic because not only will you make the internet and gamecom usefull again but you can also do some exciting business with it and the slow responsive will not interrupt you no more and it will feel very rewarding.

It's time to bringing new life to this primit onive hardware but still have such huge influance the internet,would be so cool!!

:lol: :lolblue: :rolling:

I got a good chuckle out of the "wish list". :-D

As did I. But if nothing else, there must be some interesting stories behind the development of the games, and et cetera. And in this case those stories would very likely be more interesting than the games themselves. Unfortunately the interviews that I conducted w/developers were nothing spectacular, but I only scratched the surface. I ever have the time again, I'd certainly like to go back and try eking out some more tales of the game.com.

Since we're already discussing this in the wrong section anyway, I don't feel bad for inserting a shameless plug for my li'l game.com website...

the end of the game.com

P.S. -

The game.com sucks.

Your site is great and tells us everything we need to know! The Endings gifs are adorable. I know the real gamecom screen was dim and slow compared to those images, but the monochrome graphics are almost charming, like early Macintosh graphics. If the device had come out eight years before it did, maybe it could have impressed someone.

This was awesome:

Cobb: The game.com was a commercial failure. What factors do you believe caused or contributed to this?

Scott: Again, my memory of the system wasn't too good, but I recall they made all the typical mistakes a company new to video games can make: they cheaped out on hardware, treated their developers like crap so nobody wanted to do a second game for them, paid everybody late, and never advertised their product. It was like working for Atari all over again.

That would be an ultra niche product, likely not worth the development time, nor could I see people paying money for something with such a small/garbage library. In the 90's there was hardly any point in the game.com as better versions of many games existed on other systems. In 2017 there's even less of a point.