IGNORED

Time Pilot demo

retroclouds

Works for me did you have any plans to complete it! Or staying a demo.

Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Never say never, but I think this will stay a demo.

Anyway I attached the source code in case someone wants to play with it.

Time Pilot - beta 0.3 - source code .zip

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 2

I remember when I saw this demo on your personal website Retroclouds... it was 2010 and i was shocked !

It could be fantastic to see it completed... i remember i should have the stuff ready for the cartridge label and the manual cover for it :P

Thanks.

Well we have seen a lot of great games coming in the last years. I never imagined back in the day we'd ever see so much new stuff.

Not going to make promises I can't keep though. I do have some stuff I want to try out for the TI in the winter time, but not sure what will come out of it.

It's all about having fun ;)

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...
On 8/8/2017 at 8:49 PM, retroclouds said:

I don't think I ever released this. It's my demo of Time Pilot.

Load this in Editor Assembler. Ship rotation and bullet firing (software sprites) work.

Tried it in JS99'er and seems to work fine.

tpilot1.obj 34.19 kB · 30 downloads

Please help here... how to run on Classic99 ? thanks and regards 

On 8/8/2017 at 9:07 PM, retroclouds said:

Never say never, but I think this will stay a demo.

Anyway I attached the source code in case someone wants to play with it.

Time Pilot - beta 0.3 - source code .zip 172.4 kB · 21 downloads

Gentlemen .. any chance to release the complete or last cnsistent sorce code ? I tried to compile the attached source code with WinAsm99 with no lucky. 

I regenerated the code from the tpilot1.lst file recreating a TIDisk but the result is not like tpilot1.obj ..

Thanks a lot in advance for your usual kidness and availability and patience with my orrible english

All my Best

Francesco

TPILOT.TIDisk

Edited by whoami999ster

Just finish to spent a couple of hours on sorce codes listing review and finally a source code that works "better" . The .apf file in the Time Pilot - beta 0.3 - source code .zip file was wrong ... I've created a single .txt file that can be compiled with WinAsm99 ... Here attached also the TPILOT2.dsk you can run with EA #3 ... File Name :  DSKx.TPILOT2O 

. Unfortunately Big clouds seems not to appear compared the version tpilot.obj1 ... some one could help here ? 

thanks and Ciao

Francesco  

TPILOT2.TIDisk TPILOT2.txt

my next step is now to understand how this demo works ... a kind of reverse engineering ... it has always been a dream of mine to understand how a game of this type works (this and many others) ... the only basics of assembler that I have come from the excellent threads of Matthew and Rasmus (Assembly on the 99 / 4A and Smooth scrolling [perhaps still too difficult for me]) but that have opened up a new world for me ... in any case if someone wants to give a Look at the listing and give me some indication, even if only at a high level, I would be very grateful ... or suggest some thread that will help me in the enterprise ....
Thank you and hello to everyone

40 minutes ago, whoami999ster said:

Just finish to spent a couple of hours on sorce codes listing review and finally a source code that works "better" . The .apf file in the Time Pilot - beta 0.3 - source code .zip file was wrong ... I've created a single .txt file that can be compiled with WinAsm99 ... Here attached also the TPILOT2.dsk you can run with EA #3 ... File Name :  DSKx.TPILOT2O 

. Unfortunately Big clouds seems not to appear compared the version tpilot.obj1 ... some one could help here ? 

thanks and Ciao

Francesco  

TPILOT2.TIDisk 90 kB · 1 download TPILOT2.txt 179.41 kB · 1 download

It looks like only 1 single small cloud is copied to the sprite table in VDP memory (1 small cloud=2 sprites).

After more than 10 years, I'm not sure if the source code matches with the binary. 

I did a lot of experiments back then. Anyway I found the below snippet in the code you posted.

You might want to uncomment the "LI R3,32" line and comment "LI R3,6". Check if that makes any difference.

If you post the source code, please post the listing file as well. That way it's more easy to check what memory locations are used, set breakpoints, etc.

*--------------------------------------------------------------
*  Dump shadow SAT to VDP SAT using sprite order table
*--------------------------------------------------------------
PUTSA2  INCT  STACK
        MOV   R3,*STACK
*       LI    R3,32
 LI R3,6

If you want to get serious on this, then you might check the spectra 2 documentation document. It explains how the task handling is done (and a lot more, keyboard handling, VDP stuff, etc)

http://aa-ti994a.oratronik.de/spectra2_reference_manual.pdf

Basically the game components (ships, bullets, clouds) are controlled by timers. There's a timer table in RAM and tasks are added/removed,cleared by the game program code.

Edited by retroclouds

It looks like the shadow SAT table in RAM is ok. Check the memory range starting at >A004. You see that sprite YX coordinates are updated for many sprites. 

Could imagine it has to do with the @PUTSAT routine that copies the RAMSAT to the VDP SAT. It has some logic for the sprite ordering I wanted to implement. 

Cannot remember if I finished that or not.

LI    R1,RAMSAT
        SETO  R2                    ; No sprite order table
        LI    R2,MYORDR             ; Use sprite order table
        BL    @PUTSAT

If the @PUTSAT routine is called with R2 set to >FFFF then sprite ordering should be disabled.

As said, it has been a very long time, so you'll just have to dig into it ;-)

This made me curious, so I went through my backups and it seems I have a slightly newer version of the source code. At least it seems to better match with what I see in the debugger.  So the source code in post #5 might not match the object file in post #1.

I'll update a new zip file shortly.

EDIT: Done. This ZIP file has more Time Pilot stuff in there.

time_pilot_newest.zip

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 3