IGNORED

Does anyone have the actual/original Super Game Module?

JustinMSalvato

I understand it never went into production, but clearly there was a prototype or physical mock-up. Question is, does anyone actually have it?

sgm-color-4.jpg

I don't think it ever actually worked, did it? I was under the impression what was shown at electronic shows was just an empty case, not actually functional. I saw it in New York at the old Nassau Coliseum back in the day, but it wasn't like we could go near it. It would be cool to know what actually happened to the mock up(s) or whatever in house units were developed.

• Like 3

In a June 1983 article in "Electronic Fun with Computer & Games", the author writes about spending quite a bit of time playing it.

https://archive.org/details/Electronic_Fun_with_Computer_Games_Vol_01_No_08_1983-06_Fun_Games_Publishing_US

"Over eight hours of use on two different

days. I clocked Coleco Super

Donkey Kong. Super Donkey Kong

Jr. and Super Smurf Rescue in

Gargamel's Castle wafers at an

average load time of only around 10 seconds."

I think the New York toy show was in February 1983. It might have been a mockup at that time. The SGM might have worked a bit but I think I read the tapes stretch with use and become unusable.

• Like 2

In a June 1983 article in "Electronic Fun with Computer & Games", the author writes about spending quite a bit of time playing it.

Attached is a pdf of just that article.

Also, here's a picture you probably haven't seen before. This is from Coleco's 1982 Annual Report and shows what I assume are prototype boxes that the super game wafers might have been stored and sold in.

post-5757-0-65288400-1502284243_thumb.png

Plus there's the interview with Bill Rose on the colecovision.dk website where Bill states: "The microwafer drive was the endless loop I mentioned. Didn’t work. The Super Game Module was supposed to be based on that, but as CES neared, we realized it couldn’t cut it. The unit that went to CES had to use ROM’d games ‘under the covers.’ […] We would simply read the ROM bank code off the tapes, delay starting the game for a period of time, and then play it from the ROM. Had some quirks too. If someone removed the tape during play and put in another tape, the old game continued to play unless they hit reset. Some uncomfortable moments in front of press as the demonstrator screwed up. The rest is history." Check out the superb article covering the SGM here.

In the same interview Bill also states that "I know one of our old techs who still has copies of almost everything we ever developed." Perhaps this tech has the prototype SGM???

electronic_fun_jun83.pdf

• Like 7

In the same interview Bill also states that "I know one of our old techs who still has copies of almost everything we ever developed." Perhaps this tech has the prototype SGM???

Will definitely read this when time permits (at work now) but yeah someone should reach out to Bill Rose and find out who that tech is!

I know Howard Eglowstein. He was a software engineer that worked with Bill on the ADAM. That story he told... I'll have to ask Howard more about that. There are stories Howard can't ever tell because of "legal stuff" and I'm wondering if Bill can tell that story without any repercussions, then Howard can publish his. These are the stories we all want to read about.

I know Howard Eglowstein. He was a software engineer that worked with Bill on the ADAM. That story he told... I'll have to ask Howard more about that. There are stories Howard can't ever tell because of "legal stuff" and I'm wondering if Bill can tell that story without any repercussions, then Howard can publish his. These are the stories we all want to read about.

Legal repercussions; from whom? Coleco has been out of business for thirty years.

Maybe he still has the Super Smurf rom?

It's too bad the Smurf Supergame was never released. However according to the article the game was made. For years I have dreamed about being able to play that game with the Hall of Fame high score screen and a improved Smurf game quality over the existing released cartridge version.

Edited by HDTV1080P

I said the same thing, but Howard said the laws still applies. Also, if I read correctly, Hasbro bought all the Coleco stuff so that may explain it. I don't know, but I'm not going to argue with an M.I.T. engineer

I doubt Hasbro bought intellectual property rights and non disclosure agreements - but I'm not M.I.T. engineer. ;)

BTW that's not meant as a dig in any way, shape or form - but one observation I can pass on as someone who has worked with a very diverse part of the population over the years: smart people often know what they know, but that's about it. Meaning - while he may be an M.I.T. engineer, he might not know about law, contracts, contract law, NDA (just because you sign one doesn't mean your an expert). I've worked with Doctors and Lawyers who know their professions, but can't pay a bill on time, or have any concept of why they should have to.

My point is never be afraid to challenge someone or present your point of view, just because of who they are, that's all.

He might be right, who knows? He could also be mistaken. He could also get pissed off if someone persists with asking him questions, who knows? But if you present a good argument, he might be open to opening up, you never know.

• Like 2

I have to agree that he's paranoid over nothing. It wouldn't matter as much if it wasn't such a loss for purposes of a better historical record. Plenty of people in similar positions have long since come forward and set the record straight. Of course, others have resisted, which is why, for instance, my co-author and I couldn't get exact sales numbers for the CoCo book. Pity, really.

So does Howard believe his NDA is in effect with Hasbro. Is there any evidence that Hasbro bought Coleco Vision and Adam IP.

I remember watching an Intellivision programmer's panel on video. And one of the programners telling a story stopped and asked "Am I allowed to talk about this?". The rest of the panel yelled at him, it's been 20 years, your nda has expired.

I have to agree that he's paranoid over nothing. It wouldn't matter as much if it wasn't such a loss for purposes of a better historical record. Plenty of people in similar positions have long since come forward and set the record straight. Of course, others have resisted, which is why, for instance, my co-author and I couldn't get exact sales numbers for the CoCo book. Pity, really.

I just asked him again and what he told me (he told me this before, but I forgot) that the stories he has could ruffle some feathers. Stories about what went down at tradeshows, on projects, etc. and while it may not be an nda thing, I could see how it upset people who invested in Coleco. And yes, some of those people are still alive.

I just asked him again and what he told me (he told me this before, but I forgot) that the stories he has could ruffle some feathers. Stories about what went down at tradeshows, on projects, etc. and while it may not be an nda thing, I could see how it upset people who invested in Coleco. And yes, some of those people are still alive.

Please keep track of when all those people die and then get the stories from him. ;)