IGNORED

Power Supply

Tempest

I have a few AC power supplies that work fine with O2s. I just used a 13v 800ma on one of my O2s that I am modding and it worked great for over an hour.

Let me know if you are interested and I can let it go for a few bucks plus whatever shipping costs.

PM Sent. :)

As a side note, a couple of years ago I was lent two Videopac G7000 consoles to fix. One had an external power supply through a funny looking little two prong connector, nothing like the 5.5/2.1 barrel or 3.5 mm plugs. On the underside of that console it said it takes 9V DC, so I soldered up a spare ZX Spectrum PSU to the connector and that was all to it.

The other console had an internal power supply and would thus take 230V AC into the console. While studying it I got a nice electric shock and I decided it wasn't worth the risk trying to troubleshoot and repair the PSU so I disconnected that circuit. As noted on the linked page, internally the console uses 5V DC which also was what the power supply would produce from the input voltage. Thus I wired in a cheap 5V DC PSU to the console, and also took the opportunity to graft on a power switch while doing it. Not exactly original anymore, but functional as long as the PSU delivers the specified voltage.

By the way, today I received one of those consoles. It looks like it will need some TLC as not only is the power supply entirely missing, instead of controllers someone has wired in two DE9 connectors on the cables. I'll have to check if those are wired for Videopac controllers or already adapted for Atari standard. Besides I bought it "as-is" so I might find it is dead as a stone once I get a temporary power source settled.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a power supply for my O2. This is the earlier model that had the hard wired controllers, and I seem to recall it could use a 2600 power supply. Would something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121158185060

I thought it was the earlier version the Odyssey that had separate joysticks, and that they switched to hardwired later?

Personal update: I salvaged a DC jack from a retired D-Link router. The jack fits reasonably well in the hole where the old, minature two-prong connector sat, which I by the way was able to remove without damaging it. A bit of glue around the edges, and the DC jack will be an even better fit. I wired it up with center negative polarity in order to use those ZX Spectrum, Mega Drive etc power supplies of mine. After misunderstand how a DC jack works, the console started on first attempt so no obvious problems there. The original label says its power specs are 9V DC 1.1A so about 10W then, perhaps it will run on slightly less?

That would be 3 out of 3 on me setting up power options to a Videopac G7000 that otherwise is functional. Amazing record, are those among the most reliable consoles ever made or have I been exceptionally lucky?

Next step is to figure out the hand controllers. :)

I thought it was the earlier version the Odyssey that had separate joysticks, and that they switched to hardwired later?

I think you're right. I looked and my O2 has detachable controller and the 'Atari' power supply. I got things mixed up.

The DE9 connectors on my modded G7000 turned out to already be Atari wired. A friend of mine came over with a pair of spare hand controllers, but it turned out to be CoCo controllers, not Videopac controllers so I didn't accept his offer to give them to me. :) He also realized he owns a CoCo without controllers so he'll have to give them to himself.