IGNORED

45+ Years to Sunnyvale, California: a pilgrim's journey...

Faicuai

And one more:

post-29824-0-89618400-1530014259_thumb.jpg

1265 Borregas Ave

It is sad to see this nice office building staying empty.

If you look closer, you will see one of many new Google's fancy glass offices (in the background).

It seems that 30 years old buildlings do not match modern standards any more and are too small for the giants...

• Like 1

All I have to say about some of the comments on this thread [*]...

"Oh, for crying out loud".

No advances mankind has made in any way require the introduction of a black box to explain them ("aliens", "divinely inspired", whatever); it's all logical progression. As for UFO's, hey maybe - I don't have the data to say, and I find it unlikely we're alone in the universe. I also find it pretty unlikely we're getting random fly-by's of alien races, mind. Even limiting it to our galaxy, that's a tremendously *enormous* space, and we're a comparatively minuscule part of it in an unremarkable branch of a minor arm. The thing about even the well-documented UFOs is that the 'U' just stands for 'unidentified', not 'alien race'.

[*] For the record: I actually *was* a rocket scientist for the M.O.D - doctorate in Physics at Imperial etc. After playing with all the best toys for a while, I got tired of helping to kill people - so these days I write embedded software for (IMHO) one of the best companies on the planet, bringing up all the R&D boards to a workable state, and "physics-y" things are more of a hobby, but you never lose the main attribute of any physicist: critical thinking.

[bringing it back kicking-and-screaming on-topic]

As it happens I live in San Jose these days. I've driven past the old Atari HQ. It's sadly unremarkable, given the time that has passed. Tempus fugit.

• Like 1

For long time space travel you need far advanced mechanical computers. Silicon based will works max. 100 years... You need 1000s and 1000s years for interstellar traveling to get on Earth 2 like planet...

So ETs have more like "antikythera" supercomputer...

Edited by Matej

• 3 years later...
35 minutes ago, manterola said:

1196 Borregas Ave. Building is gone by now...

image.thumb.png.0b1edc560acd6f4c28f1044d18952e84.png

??

Well, everything has a beginning and an end.... It was meant to happen, anyway...  although I do  wonder who's rebuilding there !?

Just on the OPPOSITE sude of that street / sidewalk, lays the building from where Atari used to be ran during J. Tramiel times... It's also a rather flat structure per my memory of the place...

3 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Well, everything has a beginning and an end.... It was meant to happen, anyway...  although I do  wonder who's rebuilding there !?

The answer is in the photo: Google.

Google bought the building a while back, along with many nearby buildings, including some of Atari's old manufacturing and warehouses. Bit by bit, that area is being rebuilt with taller, shinier, Google offices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kskunk said:

Google bought the building a while back, along with many nearby buildings, including some of Atari's old manufacturing and warehouses.

Correct: Google bought the warehouse/building my former employer used to reside in, back in the spring of 2018. It was a former Atari warehouse on West Caribbean Drive, which is just around the corner from Borregas. They were given a month to get out, and decided to call it quits at the same time.

There are divine mysteries which cannot be grasped by mere human reasoning and can only be revealed by God through grace.

A few years ago I took my son and daughter to Jobs family home i.e. Steve Jobs 'garage', then drive a short distance to 1 Infinite Loop to demonstrate an example of what some may call success, however unlikely, can happen, and how that can change nearly every human being's world experience.

• Like 1

Yep, a nice trip to the valley. I remember reading "Sunnyvale" in Atari manuals and warranty cards, and thinking how that place would look like. 

Nowadays, thanks to Google streetview I know how it looks, but I never will have the opportunity to be there in those Borregas Ave. Buildings. 

Anyway, just a random thought, I have missed a lot more importants things in life... Like seeing Chris Cornell or Van Halen (and many others) performing live.

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1

darn, I went to Atari's old building there some 20 years ago. it was quite a nostalgic feeling to be there in person. I also went to Weirdstuff warehouse that same day, wow was that ever a "blow mt mind" place. they had stuff, and more stuff, then when you think you have looked it all over, there was more stuff! what a great experience that all was.

oh, thanks for all the great photos.

Edited by kenames99
forgot info
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 12:54 AM, kenames99 said:

oh, thanks for all the great photos.

The HP mini-garage... that place if simply mesmerizing... right in Palo Alto... just the feeling of it (sweet!!!)

My trip actually started there... where everything started... ;-)

On 10/4/2021 at 11:54 PM, kenames99 said:

darn, I went to Atari's old building there some 20 years ago. it was quite a nostalgic feeling to be there in person.

We must have done the same thing around the same time.  I was living in that part of the world (a bit further north in the East Bay) around then, and got an itch to go drive around all of the old Atari buildings one weekend and take a look at them.  Given what's happening now, I'm glad that I did when I had the chance.

I also went to Weirdstuff warehouse that same day, wow was that ever a "blow mt mind" place. they had stuff, and more stuff, then when you think you have looked it all over, there was more stuff! what a great experience that all was.

They are sorely missed.  From what I recall, at least my Video Pinball, 7800, and 1040STFM came from them.  Used to make a point of visiting them whenever I was back in that neck of the woods until they closed down.