IGNORED

Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest Game Editor

jwierer

Hello Atari Age,

I was going through some older projects and came across my Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest 7800 Game Editor. The back story on this one. Back in 2012, Bob had just started working on Bentley Bear. I had written a few level editors for some of his previous games (Failsafe, CrazyBrix) and some editors for 7800 Pacman and he asked if I could put something together so he wouldn't have to do all 48 levels by hand. I loved the idea of helping Bob with his most ambitious project and from about Feb to Sept I worked on the following editor that he eventually used to expedite level design. Bentley Bear has been available for purchase and it's been nearly 5 years since I stopped work on this, so with Bob's blessing I decided to share it with the community.

This works with the final A78/BIN release found here. I built this using the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 (My Windows 7 machine and Windows 10 machines already have this, but you may need to download if you get an error running it)

BentleyEd.Build31.zip

Using this tool, you can completely customize Bentley bear with:

• Graphic (board tile editor / sprites)
  • Level editor (create completely new levels and enemy placement)
  • Create new parallax levels (by modifying the zone speeds)
  • Color settings (change the color palettes for levels and graphics)

I didn't write a manual for this, so you'll have to figure out how to use it via trial and error (maybe somebody in the community can write one up). Here are some screenshots if you're wondering if it's worth your time.

post-5778-0-78239600-1502592434_thumb.jpg

post-5778-0-81851200-1502592412_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Jeff

• Like 13

• 2 months later...

Walter,

For some reason a few bytes are getting the wrong data breaking the music. I haven't figured out where it's going wrong, but in meantime I hacked in a fix at the end to path the binary with the correct values. Please see if the EXE in the attached ZIP file fixes the music issue for you.

-Jeff

Bentley Editor32Fix.zip

• Like 2

Bob would have to answer that question. I would assume both TIA and Pokey are in the same bin.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff

checked Version 33

if i make changes and save them...for the first time......it works....but if changeing and saving several times,the titlescreen appears,Start is not visible anymore and i cannot start it.If i change the red Diamond graphic...object 0C...i cannot place it,where i want.

i use the Bentley P file,which was posted

greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172

Hi Jeff

checked Version 33

if i make changes and save them...for the first time......it works....but if changeing and saving several times,the titlescreen appears,Start is not visible anymore and i cannot start it.If i change the red Diamond graphic...object 0C...i cannot place it,where i want.

greetings Walter

Ok. I'll try to see if I can replicate the problem tomorrow. You are saying once you make multiple changes and try to save it no longer will start the game?

yes,the start...disappears...after multiple saves...and there are problems with object 0C......

I was able to make multiple changes and use object 0C without any problems. Must be something you are trying to do. Perhaps you are trying to put too many objects on a screen. If I recall, Bob told me there was a limit.

-Jeff

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/12/2017 at 3:45 AM, gambler172 said:

Hi Jeff

checked Version 33

greetings Walter

Strange, I can't do anything. It won't let me change a single thing, or do a single thing.