IGNORED

The Last Undumped Game: 3D Attack Emerson Arcadia 2001/Gig Leonardo

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the back of the cart says it's a licensed arcade game. I wonder if this was originally going to be a real Zaxxon clone and they ended up 'Arcadiaizing' it like the did for so many others, or if this is a port of some previously unknown or obscure arcade game? I suppose it's also possible that it's an error or something, but now I'm curious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that is 1 of 3 known boxed copies and 6 known total carts. ;)

Make it 7 known copies:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Videogame-3D-Attack-Gig-Console-Leonardo/163170592098?hash=item25fdb9a562:g:k9EAAOSwBWJbWzlM

...and for about 1/10th of its usual price. Hopefully one of us got it.

I just noticed that the back of the cart says it's a licensed arcade game. I wonder if this was originally going to be a real Zaxxon clone and they ended up 'Arcadiaizing' it like the did for so many others, or if this is a port of some previously unknown or obscure arcade game? I suppose it's also possible that it's an error or something, but now I'm curious.

I always just assumed that Zaxxon was the basis, as I've never even heard of another possible arcade game that could have served as the inspiration. Gameplay-wise, it still feels like Zaxxon enough, but with a greater emphasis on working around the "3D" environment. It's entirely possible to "beat" the game without firing a shot- you just simply have to maneuver properly and not hit anything in the two or three stages there are before everything repeats itself again.

It's worth noting that not all of the Arcadia games were knockoffs of established arcade games, nor were they all direct licenses. Grand Slam Tennis, for example, was a game developed specifically for the Arcadia platform. It had no arcade predecessor, as did a few other games. With that in mind, I can't rule out the possibility that this was indeed a unique game developed for the Arcadia platform itself. It's possible that everyone has just been assuming that it is a Zaxxon ripoff when it really might not be. There are just enough gameplay differences that it makes me wonder.

Edited by Blazing Lazers
  • Like 1

On the European releases, you can see several games were licenced. some know ones, like Turtles/Turpin, and to circumvent copyright issues, It's possible that they cheated and licenced arcade games thta were clones of arcades games... :D

And while browing, I found a poor resolution copy of a magazine that detail all the available games for the Advision Home Arcade, and 3D attack is featured :

advisionjeux1_640.jpg

advisionjeux2_640.jpg

advisionjeux3_640.jpg

advisionjeux4_640.jpg

advisionjeux5_640.jpg

advisionjeux6_640.jpg

• Like 3

On the European releases, you can see several games were licenced. some know ones, like Turtles/Turpin, and to circumvent copyright issues, It's possible that they cheated and licenced arcade games thta were clones of arcades games... :D

And while browing, I found a poor resolution copy of a magazine that detail all the available games for the Advision Home Arcade, and 3D attack is featured :

advisionjeux1_640.jpg

advisionjeux2_640.jpg

advisionjeux3_640.jpg

advisionjeux4_640.jpg

advisionjeux5_640.jpg

advisionjeux6_640.jpg

Huh, so this means that 3D Attack was at least planned for the other systems, and might not be exclusive to the Italian Gig Leonardo clone?

And what on Earth is that #24 game and who is that? The screenshot is obviously Grand Slam Tennis...

Edited by Blazing Lazers
  • Like 1

The first known copy of 3d attack is owned by Jens brinkman. It was stated to be a loose cart for the home arcade.

I have asked him multiple times but he has never confirmed what his is or shown pics.

So it's very likely it did get released for the home arcade as well. Especially if it's in the catalog. Home arcade games are much more rare than Leonardo games too.

The game 24 is the advision exclusive variant of grand slam tennis indorced by French tennis player yannick noah.

I believe the same game just different packaging. I have never located a copy.

Neat a 4th boxed copy is found, somebody got a steal!!!! I wonder who!

• Like 1

Yes, this tennis variant has been known a long time. I really want 1, never had the opportunity to get 1.

I believe James Jacobs has some scans of it at his amigan web site.

Figured I should make a list of the known copies of 3d attack as it keeps growing.

1. Jens Brinkman...loose cart for home arcade or advision home arcade?...origin unkown

2. Steve-vx...boxed copy missing English manual for leonardo....sold to blazing lazers on ebay 8/9/2017 then sold to ianoid privately soon after...origin unknown

3. Stupus...only known fully cib copy for leonardo...bought thru seller on eBay italy 5/7/2013

4. Steve-vx...boxed copy missing Italian manual for Leonardo....bought on ebay italy ~2014 then sold to captain-combat on ebay 8/19/2018

5. Ianoid....loose cart for Leonardo...bought in a eBay italy lot ~2015

6. Unknown buyer...loose cart for Leonardo sold on ebay Italy ~8/6/15

7. Unknown buyer...boxed copy missing Italian manual for leonardo...bought on eBay italy 8/26/2018

If anybody has any additional info or corrections please post it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

In the 80's in France, it was common to sell computers or games with a famous sportman on it :D

Thomson did the MO5 Platini :

73.jpg

Yannick Noah endorsed several tennis games released in France, so seeing one even on the Advision isn't surprising, to me at least.

Adivision_Home-Arcade_btejo.jpg

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

In the 80's in France, it was common to sell computers or games with a famous sportman on it :D

Thomson did the MO5 Platini :

73.jpg

Yannick Noah endorsed several tennis games released in France, so seeing one even on the Advision isn't surprising, to me at least.

Adivision_Home-Arcade_btejo.jpg

Whoever runs that French website clearly seems to own a copy of Yannick Tennis- it might be possible to contact him to ask about scans and/or a ROM dump.

• 2 years later...