IGNORED

Saucer Wars

If you fix the apparent Z order bugs it should be alright. Remember:

Objects are displayed on screen in a back-to-front order. The higher up the list an object is, the further back it is displayed.

So you need to keep track of the zoom coordinates (or z position) of each of the zoomed objects and swap out objects as needed. I'm not aware of any raptor function that does this so you'll have to do it manually (i.e. swap around all properties of 2 objects).

Another possibility which doesn't involve swapping involves creating many objects, all of them invisible and making them strategically visible depending on the current order you wish to have on screen. More complex but probably faster.

Yeah the z order thing looks really bad. I think Im going to have most of the levels set up in a 2D plane style scene where an enemy that moves towards the camera happens every now and then instead of an incoming armada. I have this idea of a 3d looking city that parallaxes as you move left to right similar to the city level in Defender 2000 and you would have to take enemies out from afar. Only occasionally one will see you and move towards you eliminating the on screen pileup seen in fast food 64.

I would however still like to do a scenerio with asteroids flying towards the screen as the asteroid sprite I used (from my PC game Retropia) looks damn sweet here! And its been reworked into a 4 bit sprite which is just fantastic. So I will still probably need to come up with a fix for the z order problem

Here is the city style level I wanted to do for this. Well the beginnings of it. I wanted a look similar to Iron Soldier but I honestly think these graphics are too colorful to portray an alien invasion... IDK I don't really like the vortex style background. I have no idea where the hell I'm going with this but I'm thinking a cross between missile command and space invaders where the alien ships attack the buildings and you have to peck them off.....

edit---> I think I can make the land and the buildings move up and down too, to simulate drop and gain in altitude...

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

Im just thinking that I could also make the buildings scale up (and any on screen ufos) by adding a counter and by pressing and holding lets say A it would simulate moving forward. The same event would also increase amy ufos hitbox size by 1 with each click forward. When you get so close it should stop. Then by pressing and holding C you could have a similar event scale the scene enemies and hitboxes back down simulating moving backwards. If I can do this as well as the altitude I may very well have a little fake 3D game here!

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Not a bad start for a shooting gallery game, could be a fun game.

Yes next step is to get the rest of the enemies working. Then saucers in the background abducting people that you have to take out. (Rescue people) Then I gotta fix the wonkyness on wave 7. Then add the boss gameplay and somewhere along the line add the balloon shooting practice. The music on the western level lags too. It HAS to be that song so I will need to resample it or something

Also needs z order subroutine like JagZombies so UFOs that are closer do not appear underneath the ones that are further away.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

Thanks for the ROM. Are you planning to add x - and y axis movement to the saucers? A variety of movement patterns and speed would make your game much more nuanced and interesting for the player. I would also kindly suggest to add some pacing/dynamics to the stages, atm they are 100% flat (=constant) in intensity, speed and challenge which gets a bit monotone after a (short) while. The abductions add to the B movie charme nicely, maybe 2 or more happen simultaneously would make them more challenging (In later stages maybe?) 

Yes as you progress different ufos will move vertically and horizontally and even diagonally. The latest build I uploaded should feature a silver disk on wave 2 that moves up and down.

Some footnotes. Since I uploaded the last build my playtesters and I found some bugs. They have been addressed and fixed as of this writing.

Bug 1: if you press and hold down the fire button when an enemy ship is firing on you the screen scrambles and hangs up with tearing. This has been fixed and will not be present in the next downloadable build

Bug 2: (I actually discovered this one) if you hold down on either left or right on the dpad and continue holding once the level has shifted all the way over the ships, projectiles and other objects will continue to scroll in their respective direction allowing you to cheat the game and just wait out the level. This bug has been corrected and will not be present in the next downloadable build.

Also a few other things to note. You are supposed to be able to dodge projectiles once they are fired on you by quickly moving in the opposite direction be it left or right. This may appear to some as a bug but I did this to give the player an advantage because you can not destroy the projectiles once fired. I am very fond of this and have no plans to change it.

A couple of the playtesters have been complaining about their lasers overheating too soon. Again this is an intentional mechanic I built into the game on purpose. I didnt want players spraying fire like the starship Enterprises phasers. Allthough it is possible to tweak them to last longer (well as long as I want really) and I probably will adjust them I dont really want to give the player too much play so the adjustment will be minor. I wanted this to be something that frustrates the player and they constantly have to keep an eye on. Granted not to the point where it pushes them away from the game but enough to be slightly annoying. So there is a Goldilocks zone I need to find there. The idea here is that hopefully the player will come to the conclusion to rapid fire the button instead of hold it and once they hear that overheat alarm sound they take their finger off the button. Personally I think it feels right but there's always room for a little more play.

I have also completely redesigned the hud so the information being displayed has a more intergrated look. This is thanks to all of my playtesters, all 3 suggested I do this. The energy and shields bars are now displayed at the bottom inside of the dash and the score is displayed on an LCD type window screen at the top. This new HUD will be present in the next available download.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Great effort so far, Jeff. As long as you listen to your play testers (which it seems you are), you’ll end up with a wonderful game worth buying.

What I have seen of your game so far really has me excited. Now if life would just slow down on my end and allow me more free time, I’d be able to post more often and enjoy my Jaguar!

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Great effort so far, Jeff. As long as you listen to your play testers (which it seems you are), you’ll end up with a wonderful game worth buying.

What I have seen of your game so far really has me excited. Now if life would just slow down on my end and allow me more free time, I’d be able to post more often and enjoy my Jaguar!

Thanks. Here is a video of the latest build

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 6:30 AM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Thanks. Here is a video of the latest build

Boy, Saucer Wars is looking really good. 

If this game continues to maintain the progression seen in the above video, I will definitely purchase a copy when its available.

I like the gameplay element of saving people from being ‘beamed up’ by the saucers; Great stuff!

Edited by ColecoGamer