IGNORED

Quick programming language from 1991 - actual status

luckybuck

I just want to mention that I (DGS) have the rights to distribute the English language version of Quick (v2.2), and I still have this commercially available with the English language manual that I helped to write. Quick currently costs US$5 on its own, or US$7 when included in the full DGS commercial software pack. Both are delivered as a ZIP file containing ATR files of the disks (including two support disks), along with a PDF of the English manual. Full details and ordering can be found at the DGS website: http://www.dgs.clara.net/

I am deeply sorry, didn't intend to violate your rights. Have already corrected the site. So, Quick then is the only remaining software for Atari, which has to be bought. Again sorry. :woozy:

Thanks. The two support disks (which include numerous tutorials and code examples) that are included with our package were specially written in English by Harald Schönfeld just for the English language distribution, and weren't originally distributed with the German versions that you had.

Ah O. K., then we have to ask:

RAINDORF SOFT & Andreas Binner and Harald Schönfeld

right?

Probably, but the English language manual is jointly my copyright and I'm not prepared to make that PD. Sales of the products on the DGS site simply fund the costs of hosting and maintaining the site (which has no 3rd party advertising), which also includes archive material which people may find interesting. Also, although the products are not officially supported anymore, people do often ask me questions about them and I'm always happy to help where I can. That's not something that would happen if these products were PD.

• Like 1

So, Quick then is the only remaining software for Atari, which has to be bought.

This is not true. Sikor Soft, Video 61, and Ken Siders are all still producing (or at least continuing to sell) commercial Atari 8-bit software that is not freely distributable. There may be others that don't come to mind now too.

User PeteyM5 is posting on this forum daily about his software which is available through Video 61.

Edited by MrFish

An early version of the Quick programming language was released as PD as were subsequent type-in magazines which then allowed it to be updated to 2.1 .

In this thread you'll find an explanation from user Charlie Chaplin, who owns the rights to those Quick Magazines, about it's legal status.

Luckybuck, on your website you should definitely be able to offer downloads of the language, but certainly not of English version 2.2