IGNORED

Noticing a disturbing trend...

Rick Dangerous

This is only an issue, if you follow the rules. I hacked my PSP years ago and have every game for it downloaded on an external hard drive. I sold all my physical copies right after hacking it. By the time they drop support for the PS3, I'll be ready for it too. I have all the roms for every system I've ever owned or wanted to own, from the 2600 to PS2.. Any system with the option to download games, should eventually be hackable, to play roms. There's also the option of Flash Carts, like the Harmony for the 2600 or the EZ-Flash for GBA. Is this 100% legal? No, but it's a way to keep the games after support for them has been dropped.

Most people have to follow the rules - because they're just not that interested in going the extra mile.

It will be interesting to see a flash cart for the Switch or PS2.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Most people have to follow the rules - because they're just not that interested in going the extra mile.

There is also the point that you should be able to play your games without making everything a giant engineering project. How much effort do you need to put forth in order to make use of something you've already paid for? And in a lot of cases, the expense of backing up these games is equal to the cost of the original hardware itself. You're essentially saying (with more than a little credibility) that in order to preserve your investment, you need to turn your collection into a miniature IT Department.

Or, to put it into the vernacular:

post-9942-0-45807000-1503422644.jpg

Is it right to let these companies get away with policies that screw over 99% of their customers, just because 1% have the time, money, and patience to find the right workarounds?

• Like 1

Might not be right, sure, but people don't really seem to mind the inconveniences of how modern games are loaded/played/preserved. If they care about that stuff at all. It just doesn't seem to be a priority.

It's one of the reasons I don't do smartphone or present-day-console gaming all that much. If any. I often feel like I'm restricted right out of the game

PC operations are more tolerable and more varied. There are a few games I'll jump through hoops for to keep playing today and into the future. But by and large, I'm completely turned off of modern distribution methods.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

The engineering project mentality is where I cut the line. I'm fine firing up Gamecube games in Dolphin when I'm lazy and I'm sitting here, but I'd like to have a stupid easy external way to get ISOs to run on the real system too but that I don't know of a method to do so. I've had my GC since it came out, still works like new, don't feel the need to gut it to go all pirate on it making my existing games moot and void.

Thankfully most GC games are cheap, and even those that aren't many of those(most) aren't over old retail from a decade-decade and 1/2 ago.

By the way on topic, did any of you notice on Amazon the large drop of new games physical releases no less thrown up on Amazon in the last few days or so?

Here's some

88 Heroes: 98 Heroes Edition
Batman Enemy Within
Lumo
Batman: The Telltale Series

Superbeat Xonic

Portal Knights

Kirby(untitled, 2018)
Resident evil collection with a 11/30 date at $40 too

In the EU it's physical (digital still for US currently)

One Piece: Unlimited World Red (and we're no longer region locked so...)

The big titles for the GC are still pretty expensive around here... going more then when they were new.

I agree. I was selling some of my GC games a while back and while checking to see what they were selling for, I found out that most were selling for retail or in one case, much higher. One of the games I kept is Alien Hominid, since The creator was a friend of mine. Turns out it's worth over $60.

I was able to find full library downloads for most of the systems I wanted the roms for, so it was just a matter of clicking "download" and storing it on my Hard Drive. When I said I "hacked" my PSP, I should have said that I loaded 3rd party software, which only took a minute or so, allowing it to play roms and assorted emulators. It really wasn't anything hard or time consuming. It was also totally free. :-o

I'm not saying that I'm against having physical copies of games, but it's cheaper and easier for me not to have them. I do think that companies are cheating their customers when they sell them a digital copy, but then stop providing a way to get or use the digital copy. In my eyes, that's like selling someone a car, then sealing it in a container and dropping it in the middle of the ocean. :mad:

As far as the "Switch" goes, I don't know anything about it and really have no interest in it, but when I was talking about flash carts, I didn't mean for consoles that use discs, like the PS2. I was referring to consoles that use carts or have some type of hard drive or media slot, like for an SD card. :P

I know some systems require some fancy work to "mod", but not all. Some are extremely simple and free to mod or hack. So going that route, with the systems that support it, then downloading the games, is a no brainer. ;)

• Like 1

As far as the "Switch" goes, I don't know anything about it and really have no interest in it, but when I was talking about flash carts, I didn't mean for consoles that use discs, like the PS2. I was referring to consoles that use carts or have some type of hard drive or media slot, like for an SD card. icon_razz.gif

But the PS2 has a slot for installing a hard drive that people fill up with ROM's.

• Like 1

But the PS2 has a slot for installing a hard drive that people fill up with ROM's.

That's something I wasn't aware of. :P

I hadn't kept up with PS2 stuff, even when it was new. I had one for a while, but I sold it to fund some other hobbies. I had around 30 games for it at the time, but I only played a few of them. I'm glad you mentioned that it can have a Hard drive with roms added.. I might look into that, since there were a couple of games on the PS2 that I really liked which weren't availible on other systems.. :-D

I think the Gamecube fell out of gouging scalper favor because I was looking at Alien Hominid last night and it was selling in the $10-20 range complete, but I do remember it being around $60 like you said. Others I noticed that dropped from a couple years back were various first party titles. Gotcha Force, Pokemon Box(complete) and Skies of Arcadia were still in the notably over retail price level still though.

And yes the original PS2 has a rear slot that has a bay and notably used for a HDD that went with Final Fantasy 11 since it was an online MMO. Not much else really used it which was stupid given some of the games on the console, but it's no surprise someone figured out how to turn it into a warezy downloaders dream though.

Either way how about that Switch? I traded into a sealed copy of ARMS the other day and I've yet to really dig into it other than a couple battles but surprisingly reminds me of the old 1on1 mech games of the 90s and 00s which is cool. And also how about that growing list of physical games coming? That's not bad at all as it will create a larger shelf presence which is never a bad thing and much of those titles being indie or smaller team based seem to slide in the $30-40 range which is affordable too.

The trend I don't like is how even if you buy physical there are still updates, bug fixes, DLC, etc. So, a physical game isn't 100% physical but really both. I wouldn't mind so much if later after all of that they would release definitive versions of the games to have the option to have 100% complete physical games. Anyway, I would be interested in a list of physical Switch games that are 100% complete.

• Like 3

I look at it as how are they updated? If the game can stand alone without needing to be repaired or given the other parts of it that should have been there, I won't buy it as it's not really physical. But if you're buying a game, and maybe they had some unnecessary to function 'fixes'(tweaks) or some lame DLC I'd never buy anyway it doesn't bother me.

Good luck finding a list of 100% on card physical, could be tricky sorting it out. Super Bomberman R is an excellent point on that. The physical game unless they re-issue it with the first bug fix they did is an unplayable unenjoyable hot mess I returned to Amazon. The game itself lags the inputs you do, has nothing to do with your usual display lag on a bad TV either. They got so much complaining about it they went back and retested it with I guess other equipment to see their error at Konami and made a big deal about their 1.1 patch making things right which came out like a couple weeks after launch. I used to try and ask around if someone knew they'd burn that to a chip and put it on newer sold copies because I'd buy it again, but I'm not buying a physically defective game.

• Like 1

After having recently bought a New 3DS to replace the New 3DS XL that I used to own a couple years ago I'm starting to feel a bit more relaxed about purchasing games digitally. Nintendo's customer service department went a long way towards easing my apprehensions about digital games by letting me redownload all the eShop games I used to own on my previous system for free on my new one, which was really nice since I thought I was just out $80 on digital games when I sold my old New 3DS XL two years ago.

I always bought games on physical cartridges when I could, but there were some really awesome titles on the 3DS like Moon Chronicles and IronFall: Invasion that never got a physical release. And for me I guess when it really comes down to it if I have to choose between playing a great game or never getting to play it at all because I was too stubborn to buy it digitally then I'd rather be able to play the game.

Collecting cartridges is tons of fun and I definitely appreciate the long term security of owning a physical copy of a game, but at this point in my life I don't think I'm willing to miss out on the games that I want to play just because I can't get a physical copy of them. At the end of the day I do buy games to play and enjoy first and foremost, and being able to look at their cases sitting on my game shelf is secondary.

• Like 3

That's your choice and his. But I find time is also limited enough having a digital only deterrent is VERY helpful in stopping myself from buying even more crap I'll never get time to play or play thoroughly enough to enjoy. It goes both ways, other than security of actual ownership vs a lease.

• Like 2

It seems like the vast majority of games coming out on Switch are digital only. As it so happens nearly all the games I want are digital only...

Is this really the future of gaming? They bring back cartridges and put nearly nothing on them.

What gives?

Welcome to the future Travis. And I say f*ck that future. :(

Unfortunately westerners do not like physical copies as much like the Japanese do so we westerners are stuck with this digital only future a whole lot faster than the east. This is why for example the Secret of Mana remake will be physical in Japan and digital in the west on PS4/Vita. Its a shame too because that game's cover artwork is fantastic.

Digital will never be as good as physical whether we're talking about streaming content or games from a technical perspective. There is no substitute for physical, period. 4K streaming movies pale by direct comparison to playing a Blu-Ray--especially when you take in to consideration not everyone has the bandwidth to stream 4K either. Also, you lease or rent digital content and not own so that all by itself is reason to say screw digital. I'm not interested in this business model of charging the same for less which can be made inoperable at any time. Because just ask yourself why the hell you need to pay a full $60 price for a digital game when there is no physical components for a company to manufacture thus saving them money? Just think about that, same price = less value.

Plus, when did our society get so lazy as to not get up off the couch and change the damn discs like a bloody human being? And preemptively before a smart ass comes in with the TV remote argument I'm old so I used to have to do that in my youth and could EASILY adapt to needing to do it again. :)

^ Jin gets it!

Life is too short to waste playing video games, but if you're gonna do that anyway, might as well do it in a convenient format, without worrying about the future!

Life is also too short to assume one's opinions are superior to others. Digital is not a "convenient" format to everyone. Remember, everyone is different and doesn't think like you or other digital only proponents.

Edited by jce3000gt
  • Like 4

Good one with SOM with Square-Enix. They pulled that crap with I Am Setsuna in the US as well. I ended up searching, finding this one reputable seller, and due to their pricing and doing free shipping over X value I paid $43USD (retails for $40+tax anyway as a download) and got the real game. Glad they removed region lock. Any game they try and puss out on in the US, if it hits the JP or EU market I'm importing it if it's one I really want to enjoy.

Oh and I have in fact not only decided to kill off more of my collection I intend to sell off my Cave Story 3DS game with the original contents/lenticular sleeve so I'll dump that and it pays for the Switch version. :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the future Travis. And I say f*ck that future. :(

Unfortunately westerners do not like physical copies as much like the Japanese do so we westerners are stuck with this digital only future a whole lot faster than the east.

Don't be so sure. Vinyl records are making a comeback. I could see the same happening with video game carts. Then there's always homebrew culture making new games for obsolete formats... ;-)

• Like 2

Vinyl got a huge boost this year as 21years after shutting down line production Sony got back into the making of records once more with a large drop of them on the Japanese market, not sure if it was going global this year or after testing the waters but a promised increase next year over this was said too.

Sometimes people realize they screwed up thinking NEW is *ALWAYS* better then suddenly they realize a loss of a format can also mean a loss beyond just that. Quality, fidelity, (or for games) actual ownership too. I really wish I knew how to spot out and buy a solid record player on the second hand market. I know you need a certain piece with a stand alone unit otherwise it sounds like crap unless it's attached to a receiver as well. I'd be just happy with the unit and a pair of decent small speakers. There's plenty of records to go around in this area all over and it could be fun finding some nice stuff to listen to while sitting around or to help pass the time working.

Life is also too short to assume one's opinions are superior to others. Digital is not a "convenient" format to everyone. Remember, everyone is different and doesn't think like you or other digital only proponents.

That may be so. But the videogame buying public has spoken to the tune of billions of dollars. Digital is wanted everywhere by everyone and will remain in high demand. People simply don't want to fart around with cartridges.

It's wanted because they're being told that's what they want, it's a public grooming campaign by the game designers and by NOT making or grossly limiting the physical copies of games it's basically you do it or f-off you fossil situation going on. It's not quite a fair argument as the options are being strangled away. So many of these 'indie' or small dev house games 10-15 years ago would have been given a cheap budget or fuller/full priced release but instead end up going digital only, or digital with a physical release later due to demand (or worse through those punks at Limited Ed Games who run stuff so short to create a predatory scalper market.) Digital isn't I think as highly demanded as you perceive it is, it's highly paid for because that is the limited option given.

But yes some people are lazy slugs who can't motivate themselves to actually put a game into a system because that would exert some effort and maybe actually burn a single calorie in the process. (Oh noes!)

• Like 2

I volunteer at a thrift store near a major university, and I assure you that the vinyl section of our store is extremely popular among the hipster college kids.

I''ve been a holdout on the digital trend as well. I'm sure my reasons are similar to some of yours:

1. I just like to be able to resell my games when finished playing them. Unlike my Atari games, I usually beat the game once and then I'm done. For example, I already invested 150 hours in FFXII and beat Yiazmat, so I see no reason to replay that game ever again, even that newer PS4 version. I can't resell a digital copy.

2. It seems digital games never drop in price for the most popular titles, whereas sooner or later, most new release physical games will eventually dip to a price I'm willing to pay. (There's only one system in which I'm willing to invest more than $30 a game, and that is Atari.)

3. DLC is a steaming pile of bovine excrement. It is just a way to squeeze us for more money. There's nothing worse than buying, say, WWE 15 only to discover half the bloody roster is DLC only. Also, where's the challenge in spending $7 for a super weapon to make the game easier? I'll either beat the game with what's available or I won't. I nver even use the download odes when I buy "Day One" editions.

4. There's only so much room on the available system storage. This is just as much an issue on the PS4 as it is on my Vita. Never get a Vita user started on Sony's exclusive memory cards (grumble). My roommate and I don't play the same types of games but I use his PS4 when he's at work, and 500gb is surprisingly not much room when many games need 30-50gb of space.

Those are my biggest complaints. I have recently ordered some Vita games from Limited games; for barely $5 or $10 more than a digital only, I'll have a physical cart I could resell when I finally get around to beating them. I may buy a digital-only game if it is cheap

• Like 2