IGNORED

Store Reviews: Why so few?

Thomas Jentzsch

Looking through the AA store homebrew games and hacks, I find it quite disappointing that there are so few reviews. Even top sellers often have less than 10. And quite some games have zero or only one (usually from Nathan) review.

So what is stopping you people to post some reviews there? Just describe what you like and (IMO probably even more important) what not. About game play, difficulty, packaging, ... whatever! Anything that you want to say about the game and that might help other people to select from the constantly growing list of homebrews. It doesn't have to be very long and elaborated. A few sentences will do.

As an example, here is a link to Scramble. Click on the 4th tab, enter your name, email and review. Then submit.

Easy, isn't it? And everyone1 can do, you must not even have bought the game, just played it!

So please, start posting NOW! icon_smile.gif

Afterwards, please post here which game you reviewed. So that others can see the progress and to encourage other people to follow your example.

Else, please tell us what is stopping you from reviewing. I am really interested.

1 You don't even have to own that cart as long as you have played the game enough to qualify. The review link works for everyone!

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4

I am going to soon start including a flyer with orders asking people to leave reviews in the store. Nathan made a nice flyer a while back for this, and I've included it in the past, but going to have a bunch of these printed so I can include them with every order. Especially with the arrival of the new games in the store.

..Al

• Like 1

I've done Brik and Stella's Stocking so far. Was wondering doing one for Cat Trax next. Good game, btw.

Haven't purchased any more from the AA store yet, but now that I completed my VCS collection (just a few more), I'm going to divert my attention to homebrews. But I will only do reviews for games I have purchased from the AA store.

Written for fanzines since 1989, I love writing reviews

Was gonna buy Dungeon, but is the box discontinued?

Edited by high voltage

I've done Brik and Stella's Stocking so far. Was wondering doing one for Cat Trax next. Good game, btw.

Haven't purchased any more from the AA store yet, but now that I completed my VCS collection (just a few more), I'm going to divert my attention to homebrews. But I will only do reviews for games I have purchased from the AA store.

Written for fanzines since 1989, I love writing reviews

Was gonna buy Dungeon, but is the box discontinued?

I've never done a large run of boxes for Dungeon, but I may have some boxes at the moment. I'll take a look.

..Al

Took a bit of clicking but I found one of Ben's reviews (thank you!). Might be handy to have a Reviews listing in the store that shows reviews for all games with the most recent reviews first.

Unfortunately, the current store has no provision to do this. When I move the store to new software (which I've been planning to do for a while), I certainly want to make such a page.

..Al

The only thing on the page is the "I'm not a robot" checkbox with no captcha

Oh well, I tried.

I did see the one review you entered for Astro Blaster. Did you see that on another page? It's just the standard Google reCAPTCHA, I don't think I've ever had it fail for me. But it's necessary, as otherwise you get too many spammers entering reviews.

..Al

Unfortunately, the current store has no provision to do this. When I move the store to new software (which I've been planning to do for a while), I certainly want to make such a page.

..Al

That's a bummer. Would it be possible to add Reviews (Newest/Oldest First) to the Sort By?

post-3056-0-78650100-1502984718.png

• Like 1

I don't like writing reviews. I might type up a phrase in order to just enter a rating for the game.

It doesn't have to be a long review - just think of a short list of what you'd want to know about a game before buying it, and write that.

I write my reviews in a text editor first, so I can put them aside for awhile, and make sure they say what I want them to before posting them to the store. Then it's just a quick copy/paste and I'm done.

(In all fairness... I'm still way behind.)

I would say it is because there is no incentive to do it right after playing the game the first time and some negative association from amazon and ebay. Someone may think they should play it more before writing a review. They may think there is no hurry and put it off and then forget about it completely. They may feel hesitant to have their opinion weighed in on the success or failuire of a game. You get spammed to review stuff on amazon and ebay and if you review something poorly you get spammed or rebuked by the seller and told they will lose their business if you don't give them perfect scores, so there is a bit of negative association there. Maybe members should get a review number next to their name to highlight their contribution.

• Like 1

Maybe members should get a review number next to their name to highlight their contribution.

I don't want to encourage members to hastily write reviews just to inflate a number in their profile, but I do like the idea of linking to a member's reviews in the store.. This way if someone's reviews align with yours, you can more easily see what other games that individual has reviewed. I'd also like to be able to sort by reviewer in the store once there's a list of reviews you can browse.

..Al