IGNORED

Store Reviews: Why so few?

Thomas Jentzsch

So what about games available at the AA store, but I purchased on eBay, for example I got Juno First and Halo from German eBay.

Why not? Just don't comment on the packaging for games not created by AA originally. icon_wink.gif

IMO you don't even have to own the cart to post a valid review.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

The last time I bought homebrew games from Atariage was in 2007. I can't do a review for 2 of the homebrew games I bought. Santa Simon is Holiday cart that Atariage no longer sells. I also own a copy of Beefdrop that has pokey sound chip inside the game cartridge. The problem is that version of Beefdrop hasn't been sold in years with it being a limited edition.

The homebrew games I get are from my younger brother are from ebay or from the Atariage store as gifts.

I'll see what I can do for reviews later.

Edited by 8th lutz

Thank-you for this topic, Thomas! I was looking through the store last weekend thinking the exact same thing. Shocked that nobody has anything to say yet about Scramble, Panky, or many of the other new brews.

Speaking from personal experience, having 0 reviews for an extended period makes you wonder if you've made a shelf queen. The Byte Before Christmas (a team effort, which I helped steer) is heading into it's third year running with 0 reviews. Yet it's on the first page if you sort 2600 brews by popularity. :?

On the more positive note, my heartfelt thanks to Swami, Trebor, and Mr. Beefy, for taking the time to review T:ME Salvo! I really do appreciate the feedback and support :thumbsup:

I think I've written a review for every homebrew I own that's available in the AA store, but I'll double check. Reviews are super important and helpful and don't be afraid to be honest.

Agreed entirely. If it's a constructive criticism, I would personally rather hear I've done something poorly than to have everybody politely hold their tongue. I also think it's important that the next potential buyer be warned about something that may be a turn-off.

• Like 1

I think I've written a review for every homebrew I own that's available in the AA store, but I'll double check. Reviews are super important and helpful and don't be afraid to be honest.

/signed

Agreed entirely. If it's a constructive criticism, I would personally rather hear I've done something poorly than to have everybody politely hold their tongue. I also think it's important that the next potential buyer be warned about something that may be a turn-off.

/signed

Even if this may hurt the sales of my own games, I am all for constructive criticism.

Related link with excerpt:

skillsyouneed.com/ips/dealing-with-criticism.html

Constructive and Destructive Criticism

The difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism is the way in which comments are delivered.

Although both forms are challenging your ideas, character or ability, when someone is giving destructive criticism it can hurt your pride and have negative effects on your self-esteem and confidence. Destructive criticism is often just thoughtlessness by another person, but it can also be deliberately malicious and hurtful. Destructive criticism can, in some cases, lead to anger and/or aggression.

Constructive criticism, on the other hand, is designed to point out your mistakes, but also show you where and how improvements can be made. Constructive criticism should be viewed as useful feedback that can help you improve yourself rather than put you down.

When criticism is constructive it is usually easier to accept, even if it still hurts a little. In either scenario always try to remember that you can use criticism to your advantage.

I don't know. Some people's self-esteem is so high that only a kick to the nuts of their inner child can make them entertain the thought that their game might not be the most perfect bestest happy fun time thing that anyone has ever invented. :D

"Could my mother have been wrong? Am I not the most perfect and special creation that has ever been sent down from Heaven? Is it possible that I could create something that is imperfect? What am I saying? Never! I am perfect and everything I make is perfect! Haters gonna hate!"

• Like 1

I need to play the recent homebrews a bit more before I put thoughts down in a review. I'll have reviews for T:ME Salvo, Bentley, Circus 7800, Anguna, and Ratcatcher eventually. Don't forget to provide reviews for us 5200 coders' games too! Personally, rereading reviews often motivates me to want to continue to work on homebrew projects!

• Like 1

Some people's self-esteem is so high that only a kick to the nuts of their inner child can make them entertain the thought that their game might not be the most perfect bestest happy fun time thing that anyone has ever invented. icon_mrgreen.gif

All my games are exactly like that. Anyone who has a different opinion has no clue. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Like 2

26 reviews added so far today! :D

Agreed with Thomas. Al, can you put up a simple link to reviews sorted in descending order? Newest first? Or something? There are a lot of games in the store and it takes a lot of time to search around. Not sure how easy this software makes it for you to add a new link/webservice/ sql query... ?

Agreed with Thomas. Al, can you put up a simple link to reviews sorted in descending order? Newest first? Or something? There are a lot of games in the store and it takes a lot of time to search around. Not sure how easy this software makes it for you to add a new link/webservice/ sql query... ?

Not after looking at the source in the store earlier today. Not going to happen, at least with this store software.

..Al

I write my reviews in a text editor first, so I can put them aside for awhile, and make sure they say what I want them to before posting them to the store. Then it's just a quick copy/paste and I'm done.

This is good advice. Just realized there is no "Edit" option. Think I will begin following this advice now. Just spotted a couple typos and would have liked to mention the fine artwork included in the box for Scramble, although the other review hit on it, so, good enough.

This is good advice. Just realized there is no "Edit" option. Think I will begin following this advice now. Just spotted a couple typos and would have liked to mention the fine artwork included in the box for Scramble, although the other review hit on it, so, good enough.

I can edit the review for you if you send me revised text.

..Al

Here are all the products for which reviews have been added in the past 24 hours:

Assembloids
Astro Blaster
Astro Fighter
Astro Invader
b*nQ
Beef Drop
Castle Crisis
Chetiry
Climber 5
Crazy Brix
Gunfight
Jr. Pac-Man
Lady Bug
Medieval Mayhem
Moon Cresta
Pac-Man Collection
Rip-Off
Scramble
Scramble
Seawolf
Sinistar
Space Duel
Space Invaders Arcade
Space Rocks
Space Treat Deluxe
Spectar - ColecoVision
Stay Frosty 2
Stella's Stocking
Super Twin 78 Arcade Controller
SWOOPS!
T:ME Salvo
Tempest
The Byte Before Christmas
Turbo
  • Like 4

I made a suggestion, several years ago, to post a "milestone icon" next to big seller's. This would be an immediate indicator of popularity. For instance, if a game sells 300 copies, the game could be rewarded with a bronze Atariage symbol. 400 copies - silver, 500 - gold. I will admit, that I have no idea "how many" constitutes a "big seller" - maybe start at 100?

Anyway, this would supplement the written review system.