IGNORED

5200 Flip Cover Replacement

Grover Torbel

• 3 weeks later...

Just make them all textured. I believe Atari went with the textured look because it didn't show prints nearly as bad and small scratches were also pretty well hidden that way. Or at least, swirlies aren't seen with the textured surfaces. So I would say make them textured from the get go. And I've seen some port units with textured controller lids and fronts, and I've seen 2 ports with smooth. Just assumed it was Atari using up what they had left over since the parts fit the same. I think I even had a 5200 with a textured controller panel section and smooth controller lid that was a 2-port model. Didn't know if it was changed out in its life from other owners or what...

I think the semi-transparent dark brown coloring will be more difficult to get right than if the lid is textured or not. Also... $10 for replacements doesn't seem that bad a price. I think even at $15, people would buy them. How much did Best sell them for bitd when they still had them?

• Like 1

Just make them all textured. I believe Atari went with the textured look because it didn't show prints nearly as bad and small scratches were also pretty well hidden that way. Or at least, swirlies aren't seen with the textured surfaces. So I would say make them textured from the get go. And I've seen some port units with textured controller lids and fronts, and I've seen 2 ports with smooth. Just assumed it was Atari using up what they had left over since the parts fit the same. I think I even had a 5200 with a textured controller panel section and smooth controller lid that was a 2-port model. Didn't know if it was changed out in its life from other owners or what...

I think the semi-transparent dark brown coloring will be more difficult to get right than if the lid is textured or not. Also... $10 for replacements doesn't seem that bad a price. I think even at $15, people would buy them. How much did Best sell them for bitd when they still had them?

I agree making them all textured would be the best option. There is a reason that most Sega Genesis consoles that are used looked all scuffed up is because they are smooth instead of textured.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Old thread but worth bumping. Just got a 5200 delivered and despite good packing that back door flap shattered like glass because that's what they do. :( I think the best bet is 3D printing but first somebody has to make a model file which shouldn't be too hard to make.

I too think it should be more rugged and textured rather than smooth glass, reminds me of record player covers, which also cracked and shattered if anything remotely heavy fell on them. ?

If someone could make a silicone mold of a good one you can pull a good amount of resin copies out for the initial cost of materials and with care it can be used a long time. It's tricky though since detaching the old lid can be hairy for it's age.

9 minutes ago, BladeJunker said:

If someone could make a silicone mold of a good one you can pull a good amount of resin copies out for the initial cost of materials and with care it can be used a long time. It's tricky though since detaching the old lid can be hairy for it's age.

Resin mold is likely the most inexpensive way to do this. Removing the controller lid is easy though. Just undo the 7 screws on the bottom to remove he entire top cover with the controller lid. Then just lift it out of place.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Resin mold is likely the most inexpensive way to do this. Removing the controller lid is easy though. Just undo the 7 screws on the bottom to remove he entire top cover with the controller lid. Then just lift it out of place.

Thank you for the tips. :) I do have an intact one but haven't tried silicone molds yet. Just chatting with a friend about the 3D print option, could be some shortcuts towards a 3D file. Thinking the lid pins won't print well that maybe a mech insert is warranted for the hinge.

53 minutes ago, BladeJunker said:

Thank you for the tips. :) I do have an intact one but haven't tried silicone molds yet. Just chatting with a friend about the 3D print option, could be some shortcuts towards a 3D file. Thinking the lid pins won't print well that maybe a mech insert is warranted for the hinge.

A small metal dowel would work fine since you don't really see that part anyway. There was a seller on Ebay like a year or so back that actually offered a pretty good solution for controller storage covers that just had broken hinges. They were selling a 3D printed black plastic piece that used a really strong adhesive tape to attach either on the back or inside the plastic lid and essentially replaced the broken hinges with new ones. 

• Like 1