IGNORED

New Adventure Game for ZX-81 "Space Adventure"

I found a copy of a text adventure I wrote for the ZX-81 way back in 1982. The copy is from a microcassette. I am not sure it is a good copy because I don't have a working ZX-81 to try it on. I digitized it the best I could and have here uploaded the wave file for anybody who is interested. The tape is marked "Space Adventure 1.3, (Fast)" I believe it had to be played in fast mode and that it requires at least 16K of RAM. If anybody gets it to work, please let me know.Space Adventure.mp3

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have a Spectrum with which to try this, but I think that it is great that you are willing to share something that you created so long ago.

In about 1984, I wrote a Centipede clone for the Coco called Multipede. Alas, there was no way to distribute it -- I did not know any local Coco users -- and so my masterpiece is (sadly) lost to time. :_(

I do not have a Spectrum with which to try this, but I think that it is great that you are willing to share something that you created so long ago.

In about 1984, I wrote a Centipede clone for the Coco called Multipede. Alas, there was no way to distribute it -- I did not know any local Coco users -- and so my masterpiece is (sadly) lost to time. :_(

The ZX-81 is different than the Spectrum.... I have a bunch of the ZX-81s/TS-1000s... I will need to see if I can get one of them to Boot....

MarkO

There surely are tools to convert a recording to a higher level binary file. The one David linked to though seems to convert binary file to audio, which is the opposite direction.

ZX81TAP seems a bit convoluted, in that you would run a ZX Spectrum emulator with capacity to input audio in order to load a ZX-81 file that you can store as a snapshot or TAP file. I don't know how well it works. Perhaps the other tool TSCon3.3 is easier to use.

http://www.retroisle.com/sinclair/zx81/software.php

Here is a Java applet. The mention of Java gives me shudder along the backbone, but perhaps this is one of the small fraction of applets that actually works.

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/zx81/tapeutils/overview.html

Here is a discussion thread that goes through a number of programs, their cons and pros and launches yet more software. Try it, you might like it!

http://www.sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=1177

I would assume some of the ZX-81 emulators can take WAV input as well without going through conversion first, but a specialized tool might be better at telling you if your file is mush or not.