IGNORED

Opcode Pac-Man Collection on BlueMSX (Retropie)?

ColecoJoe

Does anybody know if it's possible to get Pac-Man collection or SGM games to run on Bluemsx on a retropie? I've tried adding the Bios but when I try to run the game I get the ColecoVision Turn Game Off screen.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Joey

Edited by ColecoJoe

Yeah I've been using them through CoolCV but I'm preferring BlueMSX right now to CoolCV. At least on the retropie.

Gotcha. Curious, why do you prefer BlueMSX? I have found that everything seems to run flawlessly with CoolCV.

Gotcha. Curious, why do you prefer BlueMSX? I have found that everything seems to run flawlessly with CoolCV.

It's pretty stupid but I really love CoolCV and would prefer it if I was able to adjust the size of the display and add shaders to it. If he made it into a libretro core I would be so happy because I think it's a really solid emulator.

But the last I knew was that BlueMSX still couldn't run SGM game roms - have you managed to get them to work?

Ahh, that's the kind of info I need so I don't waste my brain cells here :) So I read that SGM didn't work (all references were old) but Opcode games did? Everything I find is for the GUI of the Windows version I assume but can't find any info on any config files I would need to edit manually in my case.

Ahh, that's the kind of info I need so I don't waste my brain cells here :) So I read that SGM didn't work (all references were old) but Opcode games did? Everything I find is for the GUI of the Windows version I assume but can't find any info on any config files I would need to edit manually in my case.

The latest I know about blueMSX and SGM support is from nearly four years ago as discussed here. AFAIK, blueMSX has not been updated since and so there is no functioning SGM support in blueMSX.

Yes, Opcode Megacart games, such as Pac-Man Collection do work in the latest versions of blueMSX. Insert a cart by selecting File > Cartridge Slot 1 > Insert from the menu, and then navigate to and select the Megacart game rom in the Insert ROM dialog box. The key step is then to select "ColecoVision MegaCart ®" in the "ROM Type" dropdown at the bottom of the dialog.

post-5757-0-57888800-1503326607_thumb.png

post-5757-0-14646400-1503326519.png

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 2

Yeah my experience with RetroPie is that CoolCV is going to be your best bet as it really does seem to run pretty much everything. I've been really happy with it just being a basically "do-all" emulator on the Pi. But I suppose if you want it to do more custom things you could always put in a request in the thread Oscar started (it's stickied on the forum) and see if he has any bandwidth for it.

I know for my personal request, I'd love to see the F18A emulated in CoolCV just so it can remove the sprite flicker. Maybe someday...

• Like 1

Thx for this... I was never able to get the megacart roms working... missed that one little setting/selection ... / to increase credits ...

The latest I know about blueMSX and SGM support is from nearly four years ago as discussed here. AFAIK, blueMSX has not been updated since and so there is no functioning SGM support in blueMSX.

Yes, Opcode Megacart games, such as Pac-Man Collection do work in the latest versions of blueMSX. Insert a cart by selecting File > Cartridge Slot 1 > Insert from the menu, and then navigate to and select the Megacart game rom in the Insert ROM dialog box. The key step is then to select "ColecoVision MegaCart ®" in the "ROM Type" dropdown at the bottom of the dialog.

attachicon.gifMegacart.png

attachicon.gifPac-Man.png

I've noticed that even the Cool CV emulator doesn't work with many SGMs games I've dumped for my collection. I think maybe 3-4 only?

Its a new emulator so I'm not complaining. I realize Oscar has allot going on and so it isn't a priority at this time.

I do love the emulator quite abit.

Btw-this is just a guess but if you add SGM dumps to say a Atari Max Colecovision cart,they'd run ok on a Colecovision with the SGM module? I do need to order one of these carts soon.

I can confirm that Kung-Fu Master works in CoolCV without issue.

you dump the game from the cart or you got the rom from collectorvision (Beta tester) cause on the cart the decoding is not the same as the others 128k game so the dump dont work properly... or you have to open the cart dump the chip and than edit the file to change the banck switching address....after that it will work on atarimax and coolcv...

or they release 2 version of the game?

Edited by chart45

Does anybody know if it's possible to get Pac-Man collection or SGM games to run on Bluemsx on a retropie? I've tried adding the Bios but when I try to run the game I get the ColecoVision Turn Game Off screen.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Joey

Pac-Man Collection (Or similar type game/roms) can be launched at least two different ways through the following Command Lines for blueMSX:

bluemsx.exe /machine "COL - ColecoVision w Opcode Memory Extension" /rom1 "C:\Path\To\ROMs\PMC.rom" /romtype1 "113"
Or...

bluemsx.exe /machine "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" /rom1 "C:\Path\To\ROMs\PMC.rom"
SGM Exclusive/Only titles will of course only function with the second command line configuration ;)

Under the "Machines" folder, ensure you have the aforementioned machine configurations mentioned above.

If not, download them from the Resource Page. They will be under the "machine configurations" portion, "Coleco" section...

post-18-0-69322300-1503531151.png

...and place them accordingly...

post-18-0-90507100-1503531552.png

The configuration folders need to be stored under a "Machines" sub-folder within the main folder from where the emulator executable resides.

But the last I knew was that BlueMSX still couldn't run SGM game roms - have you managed to get them to work?

See above. :)

Pac-Man Collection (Or similar type game/roms) can be launched at least two different ways through the following Command Lines for blueMSX:

bluemsx.exe /machine "COL - ColecoVision w Opcode Memory Extension" /rom1 "C:\Path\To\ROMs\PMC.rom" /romtype1 "113"
Or...

bluemsx.exe /machine "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" /rom1 "C:\Path\To\ROMs\PMC.rom"
SGM Exclusive/Only titles will of course only function with the second command line configuration ;)

Under the "Machines" folder, ensure you have the aforementioned machine configurations mentioned above.

If not, download them from the Resource Page. They will be under the "machine configurations" portion, "Coleco" section...

attachicon.gifbluemsx_coleco.PNG

...and place them accordingly...

attachicon.gifbluemsx_coleco_folders.PNG

The configuration folders need to be stored under a "Machines" sub-folder within the main folder from where the emulator executable resides.

See above. :)

I can't get BlueMSX to recognise the "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" machine. It recognises the others but not that one; I tried the gui and the command line in Win7-64. Pac-man Collection works as described using the other machine in BlueMSX. If you want to run "Kung-Fu Master" on BlueMSX you can just use the MSX rom version.

edit:

CoolCV is great (it's the only one I can get trackball emulation working properly). But on my computer I find BlueMSX and Mame run a little smoother; that could be because my computer is very old.

Edited by mr_me

If you want to run "Kung-Fu Master" on BlueMSX you can just use the MSX rom version.

It's not the same. As someone who helped with beta testing, I can tell you that tweaks were made to the game to improve its gameplay on the ColecoVision port.

• Like 1

I can't get BlueMSX to recognise the "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" machine. It recognises the others but not that one

Check the "Machines" folder and ensure the "ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder is in place.

It may be worded "ColecoVision with Super Game Module", having the 'w' replaced as 'with' instead.

The Command Line would then need to be adjusted accordingly:

bluemsx.exe /machine "COL - ColecoVision with Super Game Module" /rom1 "C:\Path\To\ROMs\PMC.rom"

The idea is to ensure the right machine configuration has been downloaded and is in place, with the name in quotes after the /machine switch within the command line, corresponding to how the sub-folder is labelled under the "Machines" folder.

*EDIT: Went to the Resource Page and clicked on the link for "ColecoVision with Super Game Module".

The download is a file named: "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module.zip".

Open that file and it contains a folder named: "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module".

Take that folder and place it inside the "Machines" folder and the command line (example)...

...should work perfectly fine.

Note: Some decompression/unzip programs may nest the folder inside a sub-folder of the same name when the folder is extracted.

Ensure there is only one "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder placed inside the "Machines" folder containing files, and not a "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder inside another "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder, within the "Machines" folder.

The layout should appear similar to this:

post-18-0-66547500-1503617860.png

Check the "Machines" folder and ensure the "ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder is in place.

It may be worded "ColecoVision with Super Game Module", having the 'w' replaced as 'with' instead.

The Command Line would then need to be adjusted accordingly:

bluemsx.exe /machine "COL - ColecoVision with Super Game Module" /rom1 "C:\Path\To\ROMs\PMC.rom"

The idea is to ensure the right machine configuration has been downloaded and is in place, with the name in quotes after the /machine switch within the command line, corresponding to how the sub-folder is labelled under the "Machines" folder.

*EDIT: Went to the Resource Page and clicked on the link for "ColecoVision with Super Game Module".

The download is a file named: "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module.zip".

Open that file and it contains a folder named: "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module".

Take that folder and place it inside the "Machines" folder and the command line (example)...

...should work perfectly fine.

Note: Some decompression/unzip programs may nest the folder inside a sub-folder of the same name when the folder is extracted.

Ensure there is only one "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder placed inside the "Machines" folder containing files, and not a "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder inside another "COL - ColecoVision w Super Game Module" folder, within the "Machines" folder.

The layout should appear similar to this:

attachicon.gifbluemsxSGMLayout.PNG

I just wanted to double check that you tested this and it works for you. For me, BlueMSX does not recognise that machine. (note that Pacman collection does work with the standard "col - colecovision" machine)

post-43287-0-88392600-1503929543.png

post-43287-0-57641500-1503929572.png