IGNORED

600XL Serial Number

Tacokiller10

Hi all,

Yesterday, I finished restoring a 600XL that belonged to my dad back in the day. After finishing up an inspection and Retrobriting, I became interested in the serial number (which sadly peeled off after removing the yellowing but, I took a picture beforehand).

I'm waiting on a power supply to arrive, so I'm using my time to learn more about the 600XL. I've browsed around and have not seen anything similar to my number.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Also, I can provide pictures of the chips and box if needed (which should narrow it down since it's the 1984 Olympics box). Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to read this.

post-61734-0-56768000-1503328127_thumb.jpg

Interesting, I never taken a close look at their labels before, but I have 2 600XLs with white serial# labels:

post-26063-0-32053300-1503347112_thumb.jpg

post-26063-0-08774800-1503347131_thumb.jpg

and other with a black serial# label:

post-26063-0-37309200-1503347151_thumb.jpg

From the older style label on one of my 800s, 83A is the Atari-Wong plant in Hong Kong, 7YJ must refer to another Hong Kong manufacturing location, EA=NTSC 600XL. The date codes indicate manufacture in both Hong Kong plants at the same time.

I did a google search of the FCC ID, and found that 7YJ was used in FCC IDs for the 410/1010/600XL/800XL

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

Hmm. I thought black labels were CHELCO made units. Crack it open!!!

That might be so I just looked at my serial number and it was black, and I know mines is a Chelco model because I opened it up. But then again, that's just one of many.

post-42879-0-17561800-1503368106_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Mr. Video

CHELCO units, in my opinion, are more built to tank standards. I have one 800XL CHELCO, out of a dozen samples, and was impressed at how bolted together the thing was.

But yes, afaik, all 600XLs are socketed. There are a few motherboard versions and one has a completely diffierent chip layout that I've only seen pictures of.

• Like 2

CHELCO units, in my opinion, are more built to tank standards. I have one 800XL CHELCO, out of a dozen samples, and was impressed at how bolted together the thing was.

But yes, afaik, all 600XLs are socketed. There are a few motherboard versions and one has a completely diffierent chip layout that I've only seen pictures of.

Oh okay, that's great to know. I'm glad I have some extra durability. ;)

Now, not to sidetrack anybody too much, but I need to troubleshoot my 600xl now. :(

After hooking up my power supply, I booted up with a black screen. (I wasn't expecting it to work immediately after 30 years in storage, but a man can dream.)

I used this guide http://atari.boards.net/thread/893/black-screen-problems-fix-checklist. I reseated all main ICs and tried the other steps, still a black screen.

From my troubleshooting skills and basic Atari knowledge, I am guessing that it has bad RAM. How close would I be with that assumption?

Version #3, it didn't ship with 600s but the voltage and amperage were the same so I figured it didn't matter. I bought it off of Ebay from a reputable seller. My multimeter read a steady 5 volts when I checked it, so it seems to be working fine. Of course, it could have already fried my board, I should probably look into that if #3 is known to be dangerous.

Edit: The Ebay seller said it shipped with most 600s and 800s. Part number C061982 if version 3 wasn't clear enough, sorry for that.

Edited by Tacokiller10

Version #3, it didn't ship with 600s but the voltage and amperage were the same so I figured it didn't matter. I bought it off of Ebay from a reputable seller. My multimeter read a steady 5 volts when I checked it, so it seems to be working fine. Of course, it could have already fried my board, I should probably look into that if #3 is known to be dangerous.

Edit: The Ebay seller said it shipped with most 600s and 800s. Part number C061982 if version 3 wasn't clear enough, sorry for that.

Version 3 is clearer than the part#, Atari used the CO61982 part# for 4 different power supplies of which version 3(the INGOT) is the only one not recommended.

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

Version 3 is clearer than the part#, Atari used the CO61982 part# for 4 different power supplies of which version 3(the INGOT) is the only one not recommended.

Thank you for clearing that up. Not recommended as in buy a different power supply then work from there? Why is V3 not recommended and which one is recommended?

I should also mention that I am getting a green striped screen on boot after going back inside the case and fiddling around. I can send a picture if necessary. Green lines then it slowly transitions to fast multicolored streaks would be the best I can describe it.

Thank you for clearing that up. Not recommended as in buy a different power supply then work from there? Why is V3 not recommended and which one is recommended?

I should also mention that I am getting a green striped screen on boot after going back inside the case and fiddling around. I can send a picture if necessary. Green lines then it slowly transitions to fast multicolored streaks would be the best I can describe it.

Version 3(AKA the INGOT) fails more often than other versions and usually outputs high enough voltage to damage chips.

When I had one fail in the 80's it was outputting around +8.5VDC and fried the 41256 RAM chips in a RamboXL memory upgraded 800XL. Luckily those were the only chips that needed replacement.

Many users simple cut the cable of the INGOT for use with a more modern switching +5VDC power supply.

5VDC/2A power supplies like those used with some routers should be a good substitute. They would only need the DIN7 plug connected properly.

Edited by BillC

Version 3(AKA the INGOT) fails more often than other versions and usually outputs high enough voltage to damage chips.

When I had one fail in the 80's it was outputting around +8.5VDC and fried the 41256 RAM chips in a RamboXL memory upgraded 800XL. Luckily those were the only chips that needed replacement.

Oh wow, that's not good. Should I start finding another board to salvage chips from?

Oh wow, that's not good. Should I start finding another board to salvage chips from?

If your power supply had failed you wouldn't have the steady 5V you reported in post# 14, your chips should be fine. Even when mine failed it only damaged the 41256 chips which are higher density and more susceptible to damage from excessive voltage then the original 4164 chips, if it had still been 64K there might not have been any damage.

My recommendation is not to use the Version 3 power supply, replace it with a good quality supply, +5VDC, 1.5A or better. Be aware the minimum current requirements can change if doing a lot of mods or with peripherals which draw power from the SIO or PBI.

When upgraded to 64K the 600XL is just as capable as the stock 800XL except for the lack of a monitor port, which can be remedied(the PAL 600XL includes the monitor port).

• Like 1