IGNORED

Where to find a reliable replacement battery for the DualShock 3 Controller

Cyber Akuma

Sony's stance on the batteries in their PS3 controllers is simple:

If it dies, then you need to replace the whole controller.

Anyone who has taken more than 2 seconds to look into this though knows this is nonsense and one can easily replace the battery..... issue is, since Sony's stance on it is "It's not user-replaceable", they don't sell replacement batteries.... which means you have to rely on a 3rd party to get one.

And the issue with THAT is that nearly all of them are garbage. Tons of replacement batteries on Amazon and other sites... but many of them have reviews of people complaining the battery overheats, or didn't last half a year, or plenty of other such problems. Sure, the majority of reviews might be 5/5 or 4/5... but nearly all of those were written nearly immediately after getting the product, not after they have had the product for a while. It's a total crapshoot... with the odds not being in your favor... if any 3rd party battery you find is decent quality or not.

That's why I am asking here. Is anyone aware of any DS3 3rd party batteries that are actually good quality and reliable?

What's the voltage? Is it chipped or anything? Handhelds are pretty tight on space, but I could see putting a non stock battery in if its not an unusual voltage or something.

Never had one apart, but I imagine there's plenty of space for different batteries though some internal mods may be needed.

What's the voltage? Is it chipped or anything? Handhelds are pretty tight on space, but I could see putting a non stock battery in if its not an unusual voltage or something.

Never had one apart, but I imagine there's plenty of space for different batteries though some internal mods may be needed.

AFAIK, it's a standard 3.7 volt Li-Ion battery, I don't believe it has any sort of chips or protection, though it does have a connector, but I am pretty sure that is standard too.

Random ebay listings have the same issues as buying on Amazon that I mentioned, if not moreso.

AFAIK, it's a standard 3.7 volt Li-Ion battery, I don't believe it has any sort of chips or protection, though it does have a connector, but I am pretty sure that is standard too.

Random ebay listings have the same issues as buying on Amazon that I mentioned, if not moreso.

True I bought mine through a specific seller on eBay and they all work so yeah be careful

• 4 weeks later...