IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

I think i've read Midimaze on the 8bit can network with the ST via midi? or only other 8bits?

Yes, we´ve actually played it in a mixed network (XLs and STs). An eight bit machine has to be the master, no matter how many and which computers are in the ring.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There's no SIO port on the board, only a pin header which needs to be connected to the required lines of a cut-in-half SIO cable or salvaged jack.

update: It seems there's a package waiting for me which I can pick-up later today. I think it's the PCBs! Some other parts have not arrived yet, though...

• Like 2

There's no SIO port on the board, only a pin header which needs to be connected to the required lines of a cut-in-half SIO cable or salvaged jack.

update: It seems there's a package waiting for me which I can pick-up later today. I think it's the PCBs! Some other parts have not arrived yet, though...

What does the header pin-out look like? Curious if it'll work with the one on the XEL (J5).

OICHVap.png

Be nice to add MIDI functionality in a Mini-ITX cased computer.

- Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Results so far:

MIDI-Thru was broken (by design), but the fix was easy. One cut trace and one jumper wire and it worked!

Some of my keyboards did not work when connected to MIDI-IN. Turned out my CNY17-2 was broken. Swapped for a good one and now it works with all keyboards I own.

As for the software, I tried MIDI Sequencer (SEQ.COM) which works perfectly, has a kind of tracker-like interface, but is MIDI-OUT only (no recording).

MIDIREC, which was specifically written for this interface, plays back OK, but recording seems to miss the timing information. Replaying what I just recorded just dumps all events to the interface, w/o any timing, which sounds like a burp of all the notes played at once :)

So, basically, recording sort of sucks, replay is fine, thru is fine.

post-20947-0-87817100-1506180289.png

Going to try other MIDI software later (and also see if it needs patching for this interface).

• Like 5

Can you test it with MIDI Track III?

Currently, it doesn't work. It tries to detect a MIDI Mate. I think it looks if there's an external SIO clock signal. I'm going to try to feed it a 31250 baud clock and see if that's enough.

First time ever I have a crystal running:

post-20947-0-88115000-1506256736.png

Plus clock divider:

post-20947-0-92699200-1506256744.png

It's also the first time I have a use for the frequency counter I built a while ago. I was amazed to find a 74LS590 in my collection :) The other IC is a 74LS04. The Arduino Nano is only used as a simple way to get 5V.

I'm going to test adding this to the MIDI interface later. Need a little pause first...

• Like 2

I had downloaded some files from CompuServe and took a look at them a couple of months back. One of the files is:

MIDIDR.DOC (MIDIDR.XMO)

MIDIMate Software Interface Documentation 5/21/1985

By Hybrid Arts, Inc.

If you haven't seen it, the .atr holding this file and can be downloaded from this blog entry. There is also a MIDI handler that can be used with BASIC and should work with your interface. In case someone wants to program the next MidiMaze game.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/572/entry-13705-a8-midi-and-the-atari-age-of-rediscovery/

Now, how do I operate MIDI Track III ? Any other MIDI Mate compatible software?

This file is also in the ATR. It might be helpful.

MIDIDEMO.BAS

MIDITRACK III simulated DEMO

By Charles Faris

This is a tutorial program for the MIDITRACK III software. It explains the screen data and most of the commands of the MIDITRACK software.

• Like 2

Thanks! The Basic MIDI Handler has been very helpful in testing the MIDI Mate compatibility. With the clock disconnected, none of it works. With the clock connected, I can dump all MIDI events coming in with:

10 OPEN #1,13,0,"M:"
20 XIO 40,#1,0,0,"M:"
30 GET #1,A:PRINT A:GOTO 30

Output works in a similar way.

PUT#1,144:PUT #1,60:PUT #1,90 ----> Note On C5, velocity 90

PUT#1,144:PUT #1,60:PUT #1,0 ----> Note On C5, velocity 0, which is equivalent to Note Off

Next: connect my 140STE and try MIDI Maze. Luckily it is already on my desk. Just needs connecting and I need to put MIDI Maze on the Gotek.

• Like 1

Status so far:

post-20947-0-08580300-1506364391.png

This is Revision B. Size went up to 5 x 10 cm.

Did not get to testing Midi Maze yet, but I did hack a seconds SIO port in my 800XL today. Removed the monitor port and RF modulator so there was plenty of room to drill holes and get busy with a hacksaw. 13 wires at the bottom, et voìla, second SIO port :) Also finally installed my Lotharek Simple Stereo board (had that lying around for over a year), connected everything through a u-switch and installed a 6.7mm audio jack. The plan is to eventually write a program which enables you to use the Atari 8-bit as a sound module over MIDI. For that, it's nice to have a second Pokey.

Edit: it just springs to mind that I forgot the power LED. Again. Will add that tomorrow.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 8

Hello Ivo

The plan is to eventually write a program which enables you to use the Atari 8-bit as a sound module over MIDI. For that, it's nice to have a second Pokey.

Have you looked at Freetz' (ABBUC's software contest guy) MIDIJOY? It does exactly that. (Except maybe for the second Pokey stuff)

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Yes, I'm aware of MIDIJOY. Haven't looked yet if there's source code available for the Atari side of things. If so, it can probably be patched to support MIDI Mate/Max compatible devices. But thanks for mentioning MIDIJOY. There have been times in the past I missed various projects :)

• Like 1

Status so far:

attachicon.gifmidi-revb.png

This is Revision B. Size went up to 5 x 10 cm.

Did not get to testing Midi Maze yet, but I did hack a seconds SIO port in my 800XL today. Removed the monitor port and RF modulator so there was plenty of room to drill holes and get busy with a hacksaw. 13 wires at the bottom, et voìla, second SIO port :) Also finally installed my Lotharek Simple Stereo board (had that lying around for over a year), connected everything through a u-switch and installed a 6.7mm audio jack. The plan is to eventually write a program which enables you to use the Atari 8-bit as a sound module over MIDI. For that, it's nice to have a second Pokey.

Edit: it just springs to mind that I forgot the power LED. Again. Will add that tomorrow.

Looks great, but I would suggest you remove the Atari Logo from the silk screen since that's a registered trademark. Although you could probably get away with using it, but why take the chance and get in trouble ;) .

- Michael

Looks great, but I would suggest you remove the Atari Logo from the silk screen since that's a registered trademark. Although you could probably get away with using it, but why take the chance and get in trouble ;) .

Agreed. Didn't think about that. I removed the logo and put the required power led in its place :) I had added it to my prototype already and it's really handy to have a visual indicator for when the device is turned on by the motor control line.

• Like 3