IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

Yeah, but you can discuss taste endlessly ;)

As a lifetime Prince-fan, I was really disappointed that I didn't like Purple and Gold PCBs. But now I have Peach and Black! :)

But seriously, this was just an experiment to see what it looked like. Maybe I'll try blue next time. Or open a poll before doing a large order?

• Like 2

Yes, probably gray, but in the end it depends on the options provided by the printing co.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy the Dream Blaster S2 yet. I'm thinking of including an option where you buy the whole package, including the DBS2. Even if I don't get a discount if I order a large batch of them, it will save shipping cost :)

Also looking into 3D printing a SIO connector. Would be nice if one could buy a completed, fully functional device which needs no further soldering.

Status update: haven't received the cinch jacks yet, so the speakers are hanging of the pin header on the right, but otherwise the REV B PCB is fully functional! Tested IN, OUT, THRU, IN or OUT connected to the Wave Blaster port. Everything's fine so far. Sorry, no pictures yet...

Edit: spotted an error in the silkscreen. It says BC547, but that should be BC549.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

Well, it's wave table technology, which is not used in modern synths anymore, so yeah, it's retro. But retro is like totally in ;) [1]

Again, I guess it's a matter of taste. Most (all?) wave blaster boards are bad at electric guitars, some excel at brass, others are better at strings, quality of percussion varies, et cetera...

But nothing stops you from connecting a better GM sound module. Also thinking about other cards in the future. There are more interesting single chip synths available which could be adapted to the wave blaster port standard.

[1] My dad bought a SNES Mini a couple of days ago; his first game console!

• Like 4

Small update:

I have decided to replace the RCA PCB mount jacks with panel mount. The ones I just received are the inverse of my footprint, even though the (now missing) Ali ad had them "right". What does this mean?

1) RCA footprints will be replaced by just four soldering pads for small wires

2) the housing will have all (audio) holes closed by default like Mathy suggested, two cinch or one 3.5mm jack can be opened when needed (i.e. they material is thinner than the wall thickness)

3) the acquired PCB space can be used for the stereo to mono mix for SIO Audio In

About the 3rd point, I prototyped that connection and I don't really like it, because you can hear all the SIO activity (even when muted) through the audio signal for every command send to MIDI Out, but if you really want that option, I'll implement it in the final version.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 4

Hello Ivo

I have decided to replace the RCA PCB mount jacks with panel mount. The ones I just received are the inverse of my footprint, even though the (now missing) Ali ad had them "right". What does this mean?

1) RCA footprints will be replaced by just four soldering pads for small wires

2) the housing will have all (audio) holes closed by default like Mathy suggested, two cinch or one 3.5mm jack can be opened when needed (i.e. they material is thinner than the wall thickness)

1) Why not leave the RCA footprints in? The holes can be used to solder in a cable if that's the choice of the user, but PCB mount jacks would still be possible for those who want them. "Panel mount" means you have to screw the jack to the housing. Not everybody likes that.

2) :D :grin: :-D

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 3

1) Why not leave the RCA footprints in? The holes can be used to solder in a cable if that's the choice of the user, but PCB mount jacks would still be possible for those who want them. "Panel mount" means you have to screw the jack to the housing. Not everybody likes that.

Yeah, guess you're right. Found out it was the KiCad footprint I relied on that was wrong. So I will reverse the polarity of the current footprint. Still have to find some place for the stereo downmix and jumpers for sio audio in.

• Like 1

> http://www.serdashop.com/waveblaster

> Feature creep? What do you think?

---------------

I think it's an excellent idea. I'd go for it.

Most interesting.

Yeah, I have decided to include the port. The actual Dream Blaster S2 will be optional at the time I start taking orders. Currently I'm finalizing the design and trying to fix the SIO cable problem, either source them from somewhere or make them myself. As you might have seen in the 3D SIO plug thread, my first attempt failed, but I have other options to explore... :)

what is the advantage of this over the midi mate midi master for the 8 bit or are they functionally equivalent

of course Best has now doubled the price from 69 on the midi master and started the whole song and dance... I know for a fact they got them for next to nothing... they had cleaned out two people at the time and have a glut of software and hardware from the two... but if that's the business model that's also probably why I don't by from them anymore... because you know we just found one or two again... give me a break... can you say cases of em?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

what is the advantage of this over the midi mate midi master for the 8 bit or are they functionally equivalent

post-20947-0-35475000-1510852767_thumb.png

The main attraction of my device is probably the option of a built-in synth, connected to the Wave Blaster inside port.

I have chosen not to support Non-MIDI triggers over SIO, mainly because it's obsolete but also because I have no hardware to test it. But if anyone has a spare Linn LM-1 or Oberheim DMX and is willing to donate it to the cause, my opinion might change ;) :D

Triggers over the joystick port will probably work, but requires an additional cable similar to MIDI Mate.

• Like 3

Yes, that's what I call "Exact Clock"in the table. Probably should have called it External Clock or something. There's indeed a 31250 Hz clock on SIO Clock Input.

BTW all software that does not require an external clock, also works perfectly fine, like Ireneusz' MidiPlay 1.3.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

I picked up this today...... the specs said it could do general MIDI and I REALLY like it's sound (esp. compared to that wavetable thing):

I must say that getting a MegaSTE also helped in deciding to get this one :)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 3