IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

F*ck! Yes, you´re right - I was sleeping. I know the meaning of a dashed line, but I didn´t perceived it... Luckily I didn´t power it up until yet. Thanks for that important hint!

Probably the right angle headers doesn´t fit if the waveboard is mounted below. I´ll report.

Sleepy

Edit: Can anybody (admin?) add a notice in post #447 that the pics are not correct?

Could've happened to anyone. Perhaps in an odd sort of way by it happening to you, it will prevent others from doing the same. I know that's probably no comfort to you since you have the difficult job of now making it right. Hopefully your desoldering skills are very good :thumbsup:

You'll have much better results if you PM Albert directly to make the requested change to your previous post.

F*ck! Yes, you´re right - I was sleeping. I know the meaning of a dashed line, but I didn´t perceived it... Luckily I didn´t power it up until yet. Thanks for that important hint!

Probably the right angle headers doesn´t fit if the waveboard is mounted below. I´ll report.

Sleepy

Edit: Can anybody (admin?) add a notice in post #447 that the pics are not correct?

post-10165-0-98395600-1557620890.png

After selecting this option the select Manage Attachment. Then select each picture you don't want any more scroll down and mouse click delete..

• Like 3

Found it - thanks. I didn´t know this option until yet. :-)

But it would be better to keep the pics with a warning to help other user to build it the right way. If I´m not shure how to install something, I often search for pictures how other did it... :-)

Perhaps in an odd sort of way by it happening to you, it will prevent others from doing the same

Sleepy

• Like 2

I was over at Bob Woolley's house yesterday, and of course I brought a few toys to play with. My fully cased 1088XLD and my 600XLM with built-in MIDI (post), as well as Dropcheck's MIDI-MAZE Cart. So having rushed out the door of my shop with these items in hand, I had totally forgotten that the 1088XLD was setup as a PAL machine, and the 600XL was NTSC. Anyway when I later realized this, I thought "oh great trying to demo NTSC MIDI-MAZE connected to a PAL machine ain't going to work" this was according to some posts I remembered reading somewhere???

So I'm over at Bob's and decide to try to connect the two machines anyway and see if they can communicate to each other while attempting to play multi-machine/multi-player MIDI-MAZE. To my joy everything worked just fine :thumbsup: :) . So unless someone can show different, I think we can write off the PAL/NTSC MIDI-MAZE communication issue as urban legend. Well at least as far as a MIDI Ring network connectivity is concerned.

• Like 6

MIDI is MIDI world wide, the only issue would be if midi maze was delivering updates 'just in time' sync'd to different frame rates... if the midi maze software is updating on a timed interval or using midi timer as opposed system frequency clocks there shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

Hello guys

A couple of years ago, we hooked up 8 Atari 8 bit computers at the Fujiama. One of them was an NTSC, the rest PAL. The NTSC 800XL didn't seem to want to behave somehow (not sure what happened exactly, maybe "TheMontezuma" can remember, IIRC it was his 800XL), so we assumed the cause of the problem was that the 800XL was an NTSC in a network with 7 PAL Atari 8 bit computers.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

The thing about a MIDIMATE compatible interface is that it generates the MIDI clock independent of the Atari. In theory the MIDI interface should be doing all of the timekeeping where the bit rate is concerned. So that only left some other unknown sync factor of the game as a possible corrupting influence when running a mixed mode setup. Bob and I played between the PAL and NTSC machines for enough time that if there was a problem it should have reared it's ugly head, but never did. Maybe it would take more machines in the ring to affect things, i dunno.

Mathy I'm sure you saw what you did, but maybe there was some other explanation not linked to the machine being NTSC that made it the odd one to cause trouble. However to test the sheer number of computers that were linked together in that ring will have to be left up to someone else. I know Brent is planning an event with at least that many machines, and likely several more so maybe he can try the same scenario that caused the issues you were seeing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Inbetween, I build my new MIDI XEL II-Interface. :-)

I receycled the old pcbs from the first version for an external SIO-interface:

post-18285-0-88876500-1558593900_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-80956000-1558593911_thumb.jpg

I removed the waveboard and the waveboard-connector from the S2-pcb and placed it in the external interface-housing:

post-18285-0-38379300-1558594008_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-00913900-1558594036_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-23440100-1558594045_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-42072500-1558594054_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-79204000-1558594066_thumb.jpg

SIO-Plug from lotharek, with a little bit hot glue to fix the cable:

post-18285-0-41107700-1558594084_thumb.jpg

Sleepy

• Like 10

Just discovered a problem with MIDI over at the 1088XLD arena thanks to DrVenkman.

There is a simple fix of adding a 10K resistor from ground to pin-4 on the MIDI Controller PIC MCU. This will only affect the first MIDI XEL board (MIDI XEL II is fine), and the SIO2MIDI board. This can be done underneath the chip by soldering a 10K resistor from pin-4 to pin-8.

When I get a chance I'll update the PCB files to include the extra resistor.

So in some instances after MIDI had been turned ON, then OFF, it was still interfering ever so slightly with other SIO devices on the bus. This was due to a semi-floating state for the PIC's enable input (pin-4). So the resistor fix adds a more active pull-down to ground, thus eliminating the ambiguity of the disabled state.

Moral of the story... LEDs don't make very good pull-downs ;) .

• Like 8

Hello guys

And we're still not using all the MIDI-Interfaces available. :grin: skr's interface isn't being used, none of mine are used and TheMontezuma probably also has an unused MIDI interface. :D

BTW we'll probably be playing MIDI-Maze at the Fujiama again. The Fujiama usually lasts three and a half days, but this year it will take a whole week. Meaning it really will be worth your time and money. Please read all about the Fujiama (and other meetings) on my meetings page.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Updated Version of the SIO2MIDI board now available.

I added the pull-down resistor (1K) to the MIDI Enable input, and also added some mounting holes to make it more convenient for those that may want to mount this in, or to something.

NEW Version 1.1 Board

SIO2MIDI_V1_1.jpg.aa3094808a34fd8671607047bdc0fa9e.jpg

And for those that have the previous version, here's how you can add the 1K resistor for the MIDI Enable fix.

Previous Version 1.0 Board - MIDI Enable Fix

SIO2MIDI_V1_Enable_Fix.JPG.53aa9ffd20ce5d8c9deb66fd39e003d9.JPG

The same fix can be done on the MIDI XEL board, which I don't have any immediate plans to update.

The newer MIDI XEL II board set already includes the extra resistor, so no update required.

Purchase Information

OshPark_SIO2MIDI_v1_1.png.37a12fb63d826b6b596937a92ba9060b.pngNow Available from OSH Park

Goto AtariBits.com for

Schematic and Gerber Files

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Mytek,

Just confirming - you switched the pull down resistor from 10K to 1K?

Yep, same as the MIDI XEL II has. Actually anything from 1K to 10K works fine, but I just felt that a firm pull-down would make for a more certain logic zero state. the PNP driving transistor can handle a considerable amount of current when switched on, so the 4-5 ma load of a 1K resistor to ground is negligible.

If you already used a 10K pull down, no need to change it.

30 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

This reminds me that I still need to mod my 1088XLD proto. I should have done that last week when I finally installed the cart/ECI cart connectors. D'oh. Tomorrow ... :) 

Well don't use the example I just posted ? .

The resistor should go between pin 4 and pin 8. I accidentally used pin 1 instead of pin 8 in my example photo. I'll go back and update that in a few minutes.

EDIT: New image has been added to this post show the proper 1K resistor connection from pin 4 to pin 8 on the PIC.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mytek said:

Well don't use the example I just posted ? .

The resistor should go between pin 4 and pin 8. I accidentally used pin 1 instead of pin 8 in my example photo. I'll go back and update that in a few minutes.

EDIT: New image has been added to this post show the proper 1K resistor connection from pin 4 to pin 8 on the PIC.

No worries. I have the PM from you around here somewhere. ? 

Just now, DrVenkman said:

No worries. I have the PM from you around here somewhere. ? 

Oh yeah that PM showed a quick and dirty version of the fix on the 1088XLD beta boards that didn't require pulling the board out of the case ?.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm a noob concerning MIDI synths or keyboards but have been around enough musicians to understand the gist of it, what would be a nice cheap solution to use an SIO2MIDI and play MIDI songs ?

I seem to find a lot of keyboards which are basically controllers, so I'm guessing I should look for synths ?

I also saw a mention of software synths but how would I then make the MIDI connection to the SIO2MIDI ?

Or could I use something like the S2 like here (not on an ST off course)

Edited by Lastic

10 minutes ago, Lastic said:

As I'm a noob concerning MIDI synths or keyboards but have been around enough musicians to understand the gist of it, what would be a nice cheap solution to use an SIO2MIDI and play MIDI songs ?

I seem to find a lot of keyboards which are basically controllers, so I'm guessing I should look for synths ?

I also saw a mention of software synths but how would I then make the MIDI connection to the SIO2MIDI ?

Or could I use something like the S2 like here (not on an ST off course)

There are several options that I can think of off-hand:

1) A hardware MIDI synthesizer keyboard or module such as vintage units predominantly from the mid 80’s through early 00’s. Hook up a MIDI cable from the MIDI Out on the SIO2MIDI to the MIDI In on my your hardware and you’re off. 

2) An interface box attached to your modern PC or Mac via USB that has MIDI ports will work to play software synthesizer programs (“softsynths”) which are running on the modern device. You can even do the same with an iPad or certain late model iPhone if you have the Apple Lightning Connection Kit device to go between the USB interface and your phone or iPad. (This is what I do usually).

3) Something like the 32 board connected to a compatible carrier board - an Arduino or something - running code to do take the USB signals and pass them through to the header pins into the S2. You also have to have a way to get the sound out of the S2, though I don’t know specifically how you would implement that. The Arduino certainly has enough IO pins to do it though. 

Of these the vintage style completely standalone MIDI synth/module would be easiest. The soft synth approach is what I use myself - I have all the connection hardware anyway, and a metric butt load of synth programs to fool around with.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1