IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

There was a change required on the LED hole size on the SIO2MIDI case. It just needed a slight increase of the inside diameter to better clear the flange of the LED. There is now an updated STL file download on my website.

If you happened to print out the previous version, no problem just take a file to the LED's flange and reduce its diameter ever so slightly until it slides freely up into the hole.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Sounds like you need to invest in a 3D printer... ;)

I was an early adopter - I got an XYZ printer many years back.  Had some good luck with it, but very quickly got burned out with endless bad prints, shitty equipment, etc.  Now, I just watch from afar, and let the people with proper design skills make the stuff :)  I'll stick with software.

• 3 months later...

MIDI 2.0 is Coming!

It will allow for an almost analog range in instrument pitch and volume control, while not obsoleting MIDI 1.0 in the process. Resolution jumps from 7-bit up to 32-bit, and adds the ability for bi-directional communications between instruments. Here's the article.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mathy said:

Will MIDI 2.0 be doable on the 8 bit Atari?

I don't think it'll work from a MIDIMATE compatible interface, although I haven't looked into what the differences actually are. Certainly the bi-directional aspect wouldn't fly, since that would require hardware changes for sure.

Edit: It's my understanding that MIDI 1.0 will still work on a MIDI 2.0 bus, so you would think that the hardware couldn't be drastically different. But then again MIDI now days is done via USB and requires hardware translation to use it with older DIN connected equipment. Which makes me doubt that you could go from MIDI 1.0 DIN-USB and be able to talk MIDI 2.0.

• 7 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 11:56 AM, ebiguy said:

I really wish to get the same kind of enclosure for the MIDI XEL II INTFC (the one with 3 DIN Jacks).

Ask and you shall receive, compliments of Mr Robot.

midixel_ii_3d_case.jpg

https://ataribits.weebly.com/midi-3d-printed-cases.html

The STL files are ready for download at the link above.

And he also created an XL style case for the stand alone SIO2MIDI MIDIMATE compatible interface. Adding to the XE one he previously created.

sio2midi_3d_cases_1600x830.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Brentarian said:

Those SIO2MIDI cases are super nice!  Oh, how I need a 3D printer...  

You have a lot of those SIO2MIDI boards. Did you ever get a chance to assemble them? If I recall you were planning on setting up a bunch of computers with MIDIMAZE at one of the VCFs.

Check with MacRorie on getting a bunch of cases made. He's now got a pretty decent production capability for 3D printing.

50 minutes ago, mytek said:

You have a lot of those SIO2MIDI boards. Did you ever get a chance to assemble them? If I recall you were planning on setting up a bunch of computers with MIDIMAZE at one of the VCFs.

Check with MacRorie on getting a bunch of cases made. He's now got a pretty decent production capability for 3D printing.

I built up 20 of them.  Unfortunately, I was unable to present my MidiMaze display last year at VCFSE due to a family emergency.  Hopefully there will be live events next year.

Will the cases that Mr. Robot created fit the v1.0 board?

20200921_224847.thumb.jpg.ad5e389b33979b04134d536de7d3c3fd.jpg

• Like 1

Yep the size remained the same between the two versions. In fact my XE cased unit is a rev 1.1 board, and the XL is a rev 1.0 board, so I know Mr Robot's design works for either board. Also on the LED hole, although it's a bit more visible with the LED raised off the  board like I showed with the XE case, leaving it at board level still gives you a visual on when the board is activated by the motor signal.

• 2 months later...
Just now, TheMontezuma said:

One more thing - I wondered if the PIC12F1572 can be flashed with K150 device?

The internet says:

12F Serie:
PIC12F508 PIC12F509 PIC12F629 PIC12F635
PIC12F675 PIC12F683

I guess, no...

Unfortunately neither the K150 or the TL866 will flash the PICs that I commonly use in my projects. However I always provide the means to do so with your A8 via the JOY2PIC and Atari flashers. Also the PICkit series programmers will do the trick, and go for cheap on eBay.

I can understand why the K150 doesn't support a lot of the PICs that came out in the last decade, but the TL866 really has no excuse since it looks to be actively supported with new firmware releases on a regular basis. Just no love for the PICs I guess :_( .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1