IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

Hello Michael

Since IN and OUT will be mostly used, putting them on the outside means the load of inserting and removing the MIDI-cables would be closer to the screws attaching the PCB to the case (if used) than when either IN or OUT is in the middle. Plus it's easier to remember that IN and OUT are on both edges instead of "OK, one goes in the middle, but the other, those it go in the one on the left or the one on the right?"

Sincerely

Mathy

What exactly do you need? HARdwareDoc asked me not to share his instruction sheet...

I thought it would be nice to share the details such as the schematic, and/or source code if that is indeed a processor (and assuming it's in the public domain). Since this thread seems to have turned into a general MIDI discussion area, and that board is not something I ever recall seeing before, I thought it would be cool to hear more about it. Like when was it conceived, were these ever sold, or are they still for sale, ect.. If there was already a discussion about this on AA, perhaps a link would be good :) .

Edit: 3/17/2019 9:10 am PST

Oops just focused on this remark "HARdwareDoc asked me not to share his instruction sheet..."

Wow :-o so I guess that means no soup for me :(

I'm just so used to my practice of releasing everything that isn't in production, and even when it is, I normally still release the full schematics and source code.

Since I originally posted the question about sharing info on HARdwareDoc's board, I did quite a bit of searching for info on the net. But other then a reference on the ABBUC site about a 3 page article in issue 65, I'm apparently blocked from reading that without a log-in. I also noticed the date on the PCB being 2011, making it 8 years old. If this isn't being produced or sold anymore, I really don't understand the need for secrecy. Well I guess the saying "to each his own" applies here, and I'm just glad that AtariAge is free and open :) .

Since IN and OUT will be mostly used, putting them on the outside means the load of inserting and removing the MIDI-cables would be closer to the screws attaching the PCB to the case (if used) than when either IN or OUT is in the middle. Plus it's easier to remember that IN and OUT are on both edges instead of "OK, one goes in the middle, but the other, those it go in the one on the left or the one on the right?"

LOL you sure don't give up easy :grin: . But I think I'll be sticking to my layout.

Mathy I finally found a device with MIDI-THRU positioned in the center. It's a Moog GRANDMOTHER Synthesizer. However I also found considerably more with the arrangement I showed examples of earlier (Left to Right order: THRU - OUT - IN). So if someone were to ask what is the standard arrangement of these jacks, that would likely be as close as you would come, with the Moog being the exception and not the rule.

Updated Design

Added additional ground pin for coaxial audio cable shield connection on J2.

YES...! :thumbsup:

Although I noticed in my first attempts connecting audio from S2-board to MPBI that the unshielded audio-cable is a little bit vulnerable for interferences and using a shielded cable subsequently, I didn´t remind to ask if a ground-pin would be possible... :sleep:

Sleepy

• Like 1

YES...! :thumbsup:

Although I noticed in my first attempts connecting audio from S2-board to MPBI that the unshielded audio-cable is a little bit vulnerable for interferences and using a shielded cable subsequently, I didn´t remind to ask if a ground-pin would be possible... :sleep:

I too am glad that I remembered to do it before I ordered some sample boards :) .

So in about a week I should have a set of boards assembled, and if everything tests out properly, I'll upload the files to OSH Park for people to order. Also for the not so DIY inclined, I'm pretty sure MacRorie will be interested in carrying these at his Brewing Academy Store, since he already produces the 1088XEL and various other add-ons for that product.

• Like 1

Look what arrived today

These are the first sample boards from when I jumped the gun, and ordered too early. Luckily they were pretty inexpensive, so if I give up a meal at Jack in the Box it should be a wash ;) .

post-42561-0-57379600-1553108214_thumb.jpg

These do serve a purpose, since I was able to verify that all of the connectors fit properly. Notice the extra space behind the DIN jacks, that along with the extra pad holes allows for any 5-pin DIN jack to work.

• Like 4

Not a real problem if the jacks can be modified, but when you´re doing a new layout no extra work (I think;-) and better compatibility.

If the jack can be modified no problem (I did it the same way :-D ). But maybe there´re other jacks which can´t be modified this easy way. :-)

Sleepy

I agree that the jacks in question are easily modified to fit for those tight situations, so I probably won't go back into those previous board designs and change the layout. However once I became aware of the situation I have been accommodating the extra depth required by the Jameco jacks specifically, so that they can be used as is. This latest design, as well as the SIO2MIDI board, have both been done with this extra space requirement in mind :) .

• Like 1

Yes, it does. For MIDImaze, the MIDI-Thru jack is not needed.

I bought for my kids a Yamaha-keyboard some years ago (O.K., in fact I want to test if I can connect it to the XL... :-D ); this requires MIDI in and out to play midi-files or record your playing.

Maybe the "thru" jack is needed if more than one intrument is connected?

Sleepy

Edit: wiki knows: "Most devices do not copy messages from their input to their output port. A third type of port, the "thru" port, emits a copy of everything received at the input port, allowing data to be forwarded to another instrumentin a "daisy chain" arrangement.Not all devices contain thru ports, and devices that lack the ability to generate MIDI data, such as effects units and sound modules, may not include out ports." wiki

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 2

It occurs to me that you won't be able to use the 2 port SIO2MIDI device (post #332) AND a SDrive-Max at the same time, because both do not have a second SIO port for daisy-chaining. Could a computer power both over SIO at the same time? If so, could a second SIO port be connected easily?

It occurs to me that you won't be able to use the 2 port SIO2MIDI device (post #332) AND a SDrive-Max at the same time, because both do not have a second SIO port for daisy-chaining. Could a computer power both over SIO at the same time? If so, could a second SIO port be connected easily?

Yes, you can :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272572-protecting-sio-ports-what-is-there/?do=findComment&comment=3901944

I know most of the discussion lately in this thread has been about MIDI Maze, but I'm getting lost in this stupid rabbit hole ...

http://www.midiworld.com/files/

Yeah, it's just a wavetable synth module, but it's a lot of fun. :)

[medial]

[/media]

Stop teasing! I will try an empty, cleaned board, power test tomorrow. I won't be doing power up for a while - I have to make a stupid video cable.

• Like 1

Stop teasing! I will try an empty, cleaned board, power test tomorrow. I won't be doing power up for a while - I have to make a stupid video cable.

Sorry, man. :) I'm just stupid-excited that it's actually working. This is the killer-feature that got me excited about doing this in the first place.

As for video cables, I am planning to made a second cable myself tomorrow. The one I have works great for chroma/luma but I fubar'd the Composite line. So I'm going to try again tomorrow afternoon. I have three DIN13 jacks. My first cable used the first. I am going to make a dedicated Composite/L/R cable for use with another old TV, and if it goes well, I will use the third to eventually wire up to a mini-DIN consumer S-video cable.

• Like 1