IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

It's a "General Midi" wave-table board. You are able replay the sounds of it via the MIDI interface - therefore the audio out cinch ports.

At first I actually wanted a 6.35mm jack (proved their durability since 1878!), but I was afraid the tip would touch the Dream Blaster board, so I went with the second best thing, i.e. RCA Cinch.

BTW I really detest 3.5mm jacks with a passion. If they break, there's nothing you can do about them as they are completely sealed. Also, lots of time TRS (tip ring sleeve) aren't spaced well enough.

This sounds interesting (no pun intended).

I might be tempted to bring the prototype to the ABBUC JHV next Saturday so we can have some interesting sounds ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3

Here's the latest revision:

post-20947-0-66566900-1508853807_thumb.png

* Added pin headers for external PS, TTL MIDI signals and all audio signals. By supplying 5V/GND to the board and connecting an audio amp, you can use the board as a stand-alone Wave Blaster host. Connect +12V/-12V for boards that need it. If Audio In is supported, this will be mixed with the WB audio. TTL MIDI OUT, if supported, could be routed to a second THRU port.

* Removed power plane over analog part, now has ground plane on both sides. You can clearly see the separation between digital (GND and Vcc plane) and the analog part (both GND).

* Some updates to the silkscreen

Any more suggestions? :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 6

Hello Ivo

I was going to ask you if you could make provisions on the board for using a "headphone connector" instead of the cinch connectors, since the first doesn't stick out as much as the latter. Which is nice when traveling to meetings. But Micheal's header can be used to connect a "headphone connector" to your interface. I guess the level is the same as the one used with cinch connectors and your interface can handle somebody accidentally pressing the volume up or down buttons on a headphone cable?

Sincerely

Mathy

@Mathy: Wave Blaster boards deliver Line Level audio without any volume control. It needs an amplifier and external speakers for that. You can connect a headphone, but the volume level is quite low.

Edited by ivop

Hello Ivo

@Mathy: Wave Blaster boards deliver Line Level audio without any volume control. It needs an amplifier and external speakers for that. You can connect a headphone, but the volume level is quite low.

I didn't expect "volume controle", but it would be nice if pressing "volume up" or "volume down" wouldn't harm the hardware. That's what I was asking about.

A couple of years ago, I bought a small portable power bank/external speak via iBood. It comes with a converter cable to connect it to any device with a headphone plug. So that's covered! :-)

Sincerely

Mathy

I didn't expect "volume controle", but it would be nice if pressing "volume up" or "volume down" wouldn't harm the hardware. That's what I was asking about.

As far as I know, volume buttons/wheels on the cable are just potentiometers (analog for wheels, digital for buttons). If there are more options, like prev/next track or play/pause, there's an extra ring on the 3.5mm plug. Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve --> Left, Right, Commands, and Ground. The command ring is probably something serial, like one-wire or something. When plugged in a socket that has no provision for the extra ring, it will be connected to GND, similar to stereo plugs in mono sockets back in the day (the right channel is grounded).

Edit: most of the time it's not a good idea to connect headphones to line level outputs because of mismatching impedance, unless you have a high-end high impedance headphone of course :) External speakers are fine, as they are powered and contain an amp.

Edited by ivop

I would like to, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I have done some 3D modelling in the past (drew my whole house incl. furniture 10 years ago in SketchUp 5 or 6, just for fun), but never something for 3D printing. I'll look into it, but can't promise anything. If anybody could help on where and how to start, that would be appreciated!

After using "SketchUp" for some projects, I discovered OpenSCAD (http://www.openscad.org/). It is much more useful for 3D-modelling of to be printed parts.

If you parametrize your models cleverly, dimension changes are no obstacle any more. Additionally direct STL export is included and works without hassle.

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

@Mathy: I'm not 100% sure what you mean by converter, but if you mean a line level to headphone, yes, that would be possible. You can find several DIY headphone amp schematics on the internet which could be adapted to "Michael's header".

Another option is to buy one. They range from €10,= incl. shipping from China, to several hundred euros for high-end gear. https://www.bax-shop.nl/hoofdtelefoon-versterkers?o=product_price

It all depends on the quality of your headphones. Earbuds? go for the China option. 500 euro Sennheiser? look elsewhere :)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

After using "SketchUp" for some projects, I discovered OpenSCAD (http://www.openscad.org/). It is much more useful for 3D-modelling of to be printed parts.

If you parametrize your models cleverly, dimension changes are no obstacle any more. Additionally direct STL export is included and works without hassle.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look into it. Currently I'm investigating FreeCAD. Managed to import my board, including components, but the learning curve for its parametric design is pretty steep. There are some good YouTube tutorials though, so we'll see. But I'm going to call it a day for now.

Hello Ivo

Yes, "line level to headphone" that's what I meant. I was hoping some company offered a small PCB for that. "$10" sounds fine, but I try to avoid cheap Chinese no-brand electronics.

But do we really only need a convertor when using a headphone and not when using something else that has a headphone plug?

Sincerely

Mathy

But do we really only need a convertor when using a headphone and not when using something else that has a headphone plug?

If that something with a headphone plug expects line level, then yes, no converter is needed.

Would this work for background music in games?

Yes, it can, but like Kyle22 says, people have to write it. Or patch existing games.

• Like 1

So 2x waveblaster edition fo me...

Thanks for the interest! When I'm going to actually sell these, I'll open a new pre-order thread.

UPDATE: Today, I have ordered new REV B prototype boards. Should be shipped in 4-7 days and should take 3-7 days to get to my doorstep! :)

Enclosure is still WIP, but I'll probably have one printed here locally to see if it actually fits like it does in FreeCAD ;)

• Like 4