IGNORED

DOS 7.10 conventional memory increase fun

Since i picked up an old Gateway P5-120 and have been putzing around with it on what little off time I have had I have been having a lot of fun with this thing just getting stuff to work. That isn't being sarcastic mind you...I actually DO have fun getting stuff to work ;) So far I have the DVD drive, mouse, sound/midi, and USB flash drives working in *Pure* DOS 7.10 (booting to pure dos without Win98 via the NoBootGUI msdos.sys option)

I went to try out "Cannon Fodder" tonight (1994 DOS game) just to see how the DOS version fairs to the lovely Amiga version and ran into a slight issue. Not enough conventional memory. The system has 64MB, but conventional DOS memory reads 504MB max executable size and this game requires something like 542MB.

I haven't messed with this stuff in a LONG time, but I found an excellent page that may be valuable to some:

http://www.mdgx.com/mem6.htm

Just using the EMM386 switches outlined there got me 618MB of conventional memory and I was able to load Cannon Fodder just fine. And no, it does not compare to the Amiga version in the slightest...but at least I can run it now ;)

I will try replacing the mouse driver with ctmouse maybe tomorrow and see if that gives a little more. Hope it helps someone else that is trying to play DOS games that require more conventional memory in pure Win98SE DOS 7.10.....yeah...all three of us ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Yes, I meant KB ;) I am not used to using Kilobyte anymore...haha! I ended up changing the mouse driver to CTMOUSE and that driver is great. I now have 626KB of conventional memory. I think I'm done ;) That should be enough to run almost everything DOS related I think.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Very nice! I tried to look up what is the maximum realistic amount of free memory, on a DOS computer of any version that is not stripped down below usability. I found a discussion thread on Vogons, where some people seem to obtain up to 631K (possibly a different DOS than you're onto, and different drivers) but even for the extreme cases, that seems to be hard to beat since at least a small portion of the system needs to be in conventional memory.

Further reading if you're curious, the discussion has been alive for six years:

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26435

Before microsoft came out with an extended memory manager, I used one called QEMM. From what I remember it could squeeze out a few more KB compared with Microsoft emm. They also had this very usefull multitasking environment for DOS called Desqview, with cut and paste and scripting automation.

• Like 2

Before microsoft came out with an extended memory manager, I used one called QEMM. From what I remember it could squeeze out a few more KB compared with Microsoft emm. They also had this very usefull multitasking environment for DOS called Desqview, with cut and paste and scripting automation.

I bought Desqview and QEMM, BITD... Very Nice for Maximum DOS Applications....

QEMM 8.0

QEMM 97 9.0

MarkO

Edited by MarkO