IGNORED

Atari 2600 CVS Gamline flyers, Foot Craz flyer, and other various stuff

HDTV1080P

My first videogame system that I officially owned was the ColecoVision in 1982 and it had state of the art arcade graphics and sound (near arcade quality when compared to some arcade games that were very advanced). I also purchased Expansion module #3 the ADAM computer system in order to play advanced Supergames up to 256K in size. However sometime around 1983, I decided to purchase the Coleco Expansion Module #1 the Atari 2600 adapter. Even though the ColecoVision and ADAM had better graphics and sound, in the early 80’s there was unique arcade games I wanted that were exclusive to the Atari 2600. Outlaw, Space invaders, Asteroids, and Missile Command were just a few of the games I liked for the Atari 2600 since they were the same quality or very close to the arcade quality. Therefore, with the ColecoVision/ADAM in 1983 I could play ADAM Supergames, ColecoVision standard cartridge games, and classic Atari 2600 games.

I noticed over the years that Atari started changing the instruction manual design for some videogames. For example the Outlaw videogame stayed exactly the same, but attached is a scan of the front cover of two different styles of Outlaw game instruction manuals (there are many other Atari 2600 games that received changes to their instruction manuals over the years).

I also use to own the Foot Craz controller for the Atari 2600 (I sold both the controllers to someone many years ago and it appears I did not keep any for myself). The Foot Craz controller was an exercise controller that one had to use their feet with special games. I never got into that controller but attached is the full page flyer on the device. I also had a skiing controller that used ones feet with the Atari 2600, but that is something I do not have anymore.

I never owned the CVS Gameline cartridge for the Atari 2600, however I attached a consumer letter and full page brochure regarding that unique product.

Official Atari list of game cartridges that went out of prodcution for the 2600.pdf

Atari 2600 Outlaw (2 differnet styles of manuls.pdf

Atari 2600 Foot Craz controller.pdf

Control Video Corporation (letter).pdf

CVS Gameline for Atari 2600.pdf

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 5

Back in August of 1983 I received in the mail a folder from Control Video Corporation regarding their new GameLine service for the Atari 2600. I always viewed the Atari 2600 as a videogame system that used 1977 technology. However, the official name for the product is Atari 2600 Video Computer System. However, after getting my ADAM computer in 1983 with a keyboard, letter quality daisy wheel printer, and built in word processor, I never thought of the Atari 2600 as a computer system.

The Coleco ADAM had a 300 baud internal modem option with pulse dialing for around $99.95. If one wanted an external 1200 baud modem or higher they would need to spend several hundreds of dollars (I remember the days when 9,600 baud modems were over $1,000 dollars. The ADAM worked with up to 19,200 baud modems once they were released in the late 80’s).

The Amazing Atari 2600 in 1983 had a 2,000 baud modem option for only $49.95

I never owned the Control Video Corporations Gameline modem/cartridge for the Atari 2600. However that product for $59.95 list price and a street price of $49.95 had an adaptive speed modem that ran between 800-2,000 baud. Those that had very good landline phone quality in their area could use the Gameline at 2,000 baud, others with poor landline phone quality used 800 baud. The average speed of the Gameline cartridge modem for the Atari 2600 was 1,200 baud and all this for only $49.95 (Plus both tone and pulse dialing options). Control Video Corporation must have been selling this product below cost with plans on making the money up with monthly or yearly subscription fees. This product offered people the ability to play on demand videogames where the cartridge menu would connect the Atari 2600 system to the server for a few seconds or a few minutes to download the latest Atari 2600 games using a toll free number. Since the games were downloaded the system only tied up peoples phone line for a few seconds or few minutes. This system also had a serialized encryption scheme to protect Atari 2600 games from being copied. The transmission used some type of encryption system. This modem not only could handle up to 2,000 baud but it also worked with both tone and pulse dialing. This made the Coelco ADAM modem for $99.95 look bad, since that Coleco modem was only 300 baud and no tone dialing feature. It was disappointing that the Atari 2600 GameLine service did not work out, the product and service was too far ahead of its time and people did not want a subscription based videogame service for their Atari 2600.

CVS Gameline folder.pdf

CVS Gameline folder part 2.pdf

CVC Gameline (folder part 3).pdf

CVS Gameline (folder part 4).pdf

CVS Gameline (folder part 5).pdf

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 6