IGNORED

STUN RUNNER

Stun Runner 87

I hope this isn't a bad question, but did Atari ever plan on making Stun RUNNER for the Jaguar? I always wondered why this was never made for this console. Considering that Stun RUNNER is an original arcade title produced by Atari, it's a shame that wasn't produced for Jaguar.

I wonder if there was ever an unreleased prototype for Stun Runner.

If there isn't, id like to make a request to homebrews programmers......Make Stun Runner....would be perfect for the jaguar.

?

In a way I'm glad it never came out back when the Jag was on the market. I think the temptation to do it in 3D would have been too great and we'd have had a poor game with low frame rates as a result.

If it was going to be done then doing it the Lynx way with scaled sprites would probably be the most impressive. Just look at how fast Super Burnout runs with sprites not 3D objects.

Can anyone give a counter position? Am I wrong about the 3D aspect?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In the 90s there were two ataris who were separate companies with different management. One was tramiels Atari which made the Jaguar, and the other made all those cool arcade games like stun runner, hard driving marble madness road blasters and badlands. Many of those games were recreated for the lynx but I heard on the lynx forum the business relationship between the two companies was strained due to poor sales of the lynx software and tramiel Atari not making full royalty payments or something. Judging by the volume ofthose games on the lynx and the Genesis and the complete lack of any of the arcade Atari games on the jag it would seem that arcade Atari felt that doing things for the jag would be a losing proposition.

• Like 4

Sir Lynxalot beat me to it.

Atari GAMES = STUN Runner, Hydra, Hard Drivin', Roadblasters, I Robot, Primal Rage (later as Midway Games, San Francisco Rush, Hydro Thunder). Released games for pre-Jaguar home systems as Tengen.

Atari CORP = mostly a brand custodian, just like now. Intellectual property rights to Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Tempest. Lynx and Jaguar were developed by others and branded with Atari's name.

STUN Runner was neat, but F Zero X and Wipeout are better. <--- OPINION

• Like 4

It might be true that the two Ataris weren't on great terms when the Lynx and Jag were on the market, particularly around the time of Stun Runner.

But they made it up enough for Atari Games to develop the System 16 "CoJag" hardware and release a few games to the arcade with a beefed up Jaguar at it's core.

• Like 1

Atari GAMES = STUN Runner, Hydra, Hard Drivin', Roadblasters, I Robot, Primal Rage (later as Midway Games, San Francisco Rush, Hydro Thunder). Released games for pre-Jaguar home systems as Tengen.

Atari CORP = mostly a brand custodian, just like now. Intellectual property rights to Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Tempest. Lynx and Jaguar were developed by others and branded with Atari's name.

Atari Corp. certainly had its faults, but I don't think that it's quite fair to characterize it as "mostly" a brand custodian, as it certainly wasn't getting most of its sales at that time from legacy properties. If it was, I'm sure that they wouldn't have cancelled everything non-Jaguar (and to a much lesser degree, ST and Lynx) in 1992. Ok, that was severely OT.

• Like 2

Hm ... how else would you phrase it?

"A toothless caricature of its former self"

"Its best years far behind it"

"In a death spiral, circling the drain"

I think "certainly getting most of its sales at that time from legacy properties" is the faintest praise ever, since their sales were way, way lower than during the glory days.

• Like 5

In a way I'm glad it never came out back when the Jag was on the market. I think the temptation to do it in 3D would have been too great and we'd have had a poor game with low frame rates as a result.

Oh you hater... why dont you check out Checkered Flag and Club Drive before making such assumptions

• Like 1

Atari Corp did bring the Atari 7800, Atari XE/XEGM, Atari ST/TT/Falcon, Lynx and Jaguar to market. They were way more than a brand custodian. They tried. The ST line was fairly successful and as a computer user and gamer, provided me with a bunch of good 3rd party support and AAA games by many of the big name developers and publishers of the mid 80's to early 90's.

The Lynx has a bunch of amazing Atari Games arcade ports, including STUN Runner.

• Like 1

Atari Corp did bring the Atari 7800, Atari XE/XEGM, Atari ST/TT/Falcon, Lynx and Jaguar to market. They were way more than a brand custodian. They tried. The ST line was fairly successful and as a computer user and gamer, provided me with a bunch of good 3rd party support and AAA games by many of the big name developers and publishers of the mid 80's to early 90's.

The Lynx has a bunch of amazing Atari Games arcade ports, including STUN Runner.

Meanwhile, Nintendo and to a somewhat lesser extent SEGA reinvented and reinvigorated the industry.

I respectfully disagree that "they tried" constitutes being much beyond a brand custodian. Results matter.

I'm glad you like them, and I'm a fan, too.

The thing was at this point old school Atari Name games that Atari owned was pre 83 titles, that research told them customers were tiere of and did not want another console with rereleases of Asteriods/centepede/Missle Command/etc. It wasn't untill Temptest 2K came out that proed this theory to be incorrect an then Atari starte woring to reamp preious arcade hits, Tengen/Time Warner games by that point owned the rights to every Atari arcade game 83 on up including Pit Fighter, Primal Range, and Stun Runner. Like said previously Tengen/Time Warner had bad relations after Lynx games, only Jag Game made was Primal Rage. Hard Driven or Race Driven would of been great additions or RBI Baseball.

I know Atari tried to slow down development on similar games may not of wanted another racer competing with Checkered Flag, Atari felt less choices meant you would be forced to by what was available.

Yeah, well I'd rather play Stun Runner (at least the arcade version) than F Zero X -- I know they wanted the high

frame rate in F-Zero X, but running the game in low-res only makes the graphics look like absolute trash. I only

play F Zero GX on the GameCube and try to forget that F Zero X ever was released on the N64.... Because

the N64 version just looks like complete **it IMO. My cartridge just collects dust.

I really only like the N64 games that play in the High Resolution mode with the memory expansion (Rogue

Squadron is one of my favorites).

I think people are forgetting that Stun Runner could have been programmed like Super Burnout on the

Jaguar. The Jag was a scaling sprite monster that could have done Stun Runner nice and fast.... Basing

that on how Super Burnout runs.

Edited by JagCD
  • Like 1

WOW, that is bad!

The Atari ST version is actually playable -- but the audio is trash.

The Amiga version's frame rate makes it unplayable.

If someone were to put the arcade audio into the ST version -- it would probably be a solid game.

Edited by JagCD

The Atari ST version is actually playable -- but the audio is trash.

The Amiga version's frame rate makes it unplayable.

If someone were to put the arcade audio into the ST version -- it would probably be a solid game.

It does sound like a 7800 game. :spidey: Let us say, What if someone did port the Atari ST version to the Jag the game looks to be missing some parts from the arcade game it would a watered down Stun Runner and that's no fun. :sleep:

Edited by walter_J64bit
  • Like 1