IGNORED

Micro Innovations was the best third party hardware developer for the ADAM

HDTV1080P

Is Dragonmaster the Adv/Role playing game that you were working on in the early 90s and demoed at, me thinks, Adamcon o4 in Cleveland?

I hear you re. the Cart PCB stuff.

Yes, the very one. It started out as a Coleco ADAM project, but considering the intended audience, it would probably work better as a (multi/mega) cartridge release. In addition, a minimal 32K RPG is also in the works for ColecoVision. (Call it the ColecoVision 32K challenge, if you will.)

I will see dad/Mark/pops on Saturday to discuss my plans. I suspect it will take multiple attempts to get him to warm up to the project. We'll see.

If you have any questions for him (within reason), I'll pass them along during my visit.

And yes, politics shouldn't prevent developers from gaining access to vital components to release their games.

So far all the original Coleco ADAM Disk and Digtial Data Pack supergames that have been converted to a standard 256K ColecoVision/ADAM cartridge, requires the OPCODE SGM’s extra memory when ran on a standard ColecoVision system (that requirement is not needed when the cartridge is ran on the ADAM computer). My point is that depending on how the Dragonmaster game is made it might require the OPCODE SGM in order to run on the ColecoVision. A programmer might be able to access the extra memory in the Ultimate SD Wafer drive or have Micro innovation design a special game cartridge with more memory in it.

Some ColecoVision/ADAM owners still prefer actual game cartridges over SD Wafer media because of the colorful labels. However, game cartridges are more expensive and have less capacity when compared to a SDHC Wafer card. Colorful retail boxes and manuals can be used for SD Wafer media (even a colorful label can be created). Many people own an ATARIMAX Ultimate SD Wafer drive cartridge. Also the new ColecoVision system coming out from CollectorVision will play ColecoVision rom images from SD Wafer media. ATARIMAX developed a self-boot technique so that SD wafers can be created that automatically act like a game cartridge as soon as the SD Wafer media is inserted. In addition, SD Wafer media can be used on over a billion computers and portable devices using a ColecoVision emulator (Opening the possibility of a high quality ColecoVision game being sold to over 10,000 people worldwide). However, I have suggested in the past that a copy protection or encryption system be used on SD Wafer media so that one cannot copy and paste the commercial copywrited rom image in a Windows PC. In addition, ATARIMAX can activate DRM serial number verification firmware updates that would only allow a SD Wafer card to run on one SD Wafer Drive. However, the best way to protect ones SD Wafer game from being copied is to have a Windows copy protection system that prevents the rom image from being copy and pasted.

The Ultimate SD Wafer drive comes with two licensed videogames and it is disappointing that more people do not use SD Wafer cards when releasing ColecoVision games.

The ColecoVision/ADAM can be very time consuming and I have thought about working on some projects, but there is only so many hours in the day. I do have a Electronic Engineering degree, and a Computer Programming degree. So I can design and repair things at the component level, but I have not used that skill for decades. In addition, when I use to program in C+ and other languages I was very good and received some rewards for the applications I made for a corporation I use to work for. However, I have not programmed for around a decade and I would not be able to make videogames since my graphics drawing skills are poor. In addition, when I used the ADAM between 1983-1993 the only programming I did was SmartBasic and I never messed around with other languages on the ADAM computer. Everything takes a lot of time with the ColecoVsion/ADAM and there is not enough time to do everything. This is why professional companies like Coleco, IBM, and Apple have people in different departments. One group of people works on hardware design and another group of people work on new software design, another group of people work on marketing of new products and selling them (Then there is meetings to get those 3 groups together to make sure everyone is going in the same direction for the new product launch). Today since the ColecoVision/ADAM community is so small, I see a lot of third party companies or one individual in a company trying to do all of those functions themselves.

Edited by HDTV1080P

My point is that depending on how the Dragonmaster game is made it might require the OPCODE SGM in order to run on the ColecoVision.

I will not be supporting Opcode's SGM.

The Ultimate SD Wafer Drive is a possibility, but I need to research it further.

I'd like the game to be able to run on ColecoVision, Coleco Adam and CollectorVision/ColecoVision HD consoles. Modded consoles/emulators should also work fine since little of the OS7 BIOS will be relied upon.

• Like 1

Today since the ColecoVision/ADAM community is so small, I see a lot of third party companies or one individual in a company trying to do all of those functions themselves.

Classic game development is a throwback to a time when a single programmer could design and code a game. That's what I'm going for here--a personal challenge. Other aspects such as testing I'll certainly need help with. Then there's production, marketing, etc. which could involve many more people.

Spoke to my dad today and we discovered that a few of his designs are missing, including the 32K cartridge board. UGH! He says that he has it backed up somewhere, but most of his stuff is back at his house in Tucson, Arizona. He's presently in Maryland with my mom caring for my grandfather who is 93. So it looks like the hardware side of things is going to have to wait while I kick off development.

He did say one interesting thing, though. He mentioned that it would be helpful if the Coleco ADAM had a USB port, but he never developed it. Of course, I agreed.

Right now I'm just planting the seeds. If he sees that I'm making good progress I might be able to get him involved again.

I will continue to keep you updated as the situation evolves.

• Like 1

Spoke to my dad today and we discovered that a few of his designs are missing, including the 32K cartridge board. UGH! He says that he has it backed up somewhere, but most of his stuff is back at his house in Tucson, Arizona. He's presently in Maryland with my mom caring for my grandfather who is 93. So it looks like the hardware side of things is going to have to wait while I kick off development.

He did say one interesting thing, though. He mentioned that it would be helpful if the Coleco ADAM had a USB port, but he never developed it. Of course, I agreed.

Right now I'm just planting the seeds. If he sees that I'm making good progress I might be able to get him involved again.

I will continue to keep you updated as the situation evolves.

That is cool your grandmother is 93 years old, I pray her health improves.

I got a lot of things going on right now, and I am in no hurry for new products. Perhaps one day I will purchase in small or large QTY’s if Micro Innovations does open its doors again. I like his comments about a USB port on the ADAM. It would solve a lot of problems that the ADAM community is experiencing today.

Have a good weekend.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 3 weeks later...

Some history regarding ADAMNET

The Coleco ADAM computer has both a front and left side ADAMNET jack (uses RJ12 6 pin reverse telephone network style wiring). I do not have the technical manual in front of me, but off hand I believe that a total of 16 ADAMNET devices can be connected to the standalone ADAM computer at the exact same time (ADAMNET speed is 62.5kbps which is slower when compared to ADAM’s 4 expansion module interfaces). Not all ADAMNET devices use the RJ12 connection, the ADAM printer also uses the ADAMNET connection over a DB9 connection. Both Digital Data Drives also use ADAMNET over a unique connector that plugs into the ADAM Memory console. In addition, there is a possibility that the 4 expansion module interfaces might have access to ADAMNET (I would need to check the schematics to make sure).

The most common devices that are connected to ADAM’s Memory console using ADAMNET are the ADAM keyboard, ADAM printer, Digital Data Drives, Disk Drives, and The MicroFox MicroSD Floppy Emulator. The advantage of the Micro Innovations ADAMNET Disk Drives is that it uses passive ADAMNET technology that allows the ADAM keyboard to receive power over ADAMNET when connected to the back of the Disk Drive regardless if the Micro Innovations Disk Drive is on or off. All other brands of ADAMNET devices like Coleco’s Disk Drive only allow a second Disk Drive to be plugged in the back of the first Disk Drive and Coleco’s Disk Drives well not work with ADAMNET devices like a keyboard when connected to the back of the Coleco Disk Drive. Micro innovations Disk Drives also allowed up to 4 ADAMNET Disk Drives to be used at the exact same time for programs like File Manager.

Adding more Coleco ADAMNET jacks to the memory console

There are two RJ12 ADAMNET jacks on the Memory Console (one in the front and one on the left side). I was able to find a company that sales RJ12 6P6C one female to 2 female reverse telephone networking splitter that is 100% compatible with ADAMNET. I connected one ADAMNET adapter splitter device to the side of my ADAM memory console and I was able to connect a 25 feet ADAMNET cord to the ADAM keyboard (which is ideal if anyone is using a 60 inch or larger display with their ADAM computer). In addition, I connected a Coleco Disk Drive to the ADAMNET splitter device. On top of that, I connected a second splitter to the front ADAMNET jack and plugged in extra ADAMNET devices like the MicroFox MicroSD Floppy Emulator. Therefore, with a total of 2 ADAMNET splitter devices connected, it was like adding two extra ADAMNET jacks to the memory console. All 4 ADAMNET devices worked perfectly fine using two ADAMNET splitters at once. I copied and verified 1.44MB of blocks copied to and from the SD media. 6 pin RJ12 reverse telephone cables can be found online in sizes between 3 feet and 200 feet. However, I have never tested a cable over 25 feet with the ADAM (and a cable longer than 25 feet might not work). I have mainly been using 7 feet cable for only 53 cents and this 25 feet cable for only $1.48. Both have worked perfectly fine. The external ADAMNET RJ12 splitter can be purchased in a 10 pack for $9.33 with free shipping (that is only around 93 cents for each splitter). ADAM dealers and ADAM clubs that need larger QTY’s can get the ADAMNET splitter adapter for as low as 84 cents each if 60 are purchased at once instead of 10.

Perhaps one day someone might create more ADAMNET devices and having a couple of ADAMNET splitters is nice. I guess someone could call this device a ADAMNET 2 port hub.

post-10892-0-04825000-1534311666_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-38129100-1534311730_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-31308200-1534311783_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-53500800-1534311856_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-84761000-1534311910_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-47366600-1534311965_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

Never thought to attach a splitter to either of the Memory Console's ADAMnet Ports. I am surprised to hear that two devices work properly at the same exact time... is thatbcorrect? I could see one, say enter a LOAD FILENAME command in SmartBasic, then the Disk Drive would start loading the program but the keybaord will not take any input until the program was loaded.

M

Never thought to attach a splitter to either of the Memory Console's ADAMnet Ports. I am surprised to hear that two devices work properly at the same exact time... is thatbcorrect? I could see one, say enter a LOAD FILENAME command in SmartBasic, then the Disk Drive would start loading the program but the keybaord will not take any input until the program was loaded.

M

Yes, a splitter works. It is the same principle as the disk drives; they simply pass signals thru the drive 1 port and onto the drive 2 port. I have a 4 port 6 pin that works great plugged into the front port.

Yes, a splitter works. It is the same principle as the disk drives; they simply pass signals thru the drive 1 port and onto the drive 2 port. I have a 4 port 6 pin that works great plugged into the front port.

I searched all over the Internet and could not find a RJ12 reverse telephone 4 port version. They all must be out of production. I guess if one wants a 4 port ADAMNET hub they would need to make it themselves.