IGNORED

Were there any other Computers like the Tandy 1000 EX/HX?

Possibly Laser? First time I saw them, I thought the more expensive one was just the same Apple model with more memory. I remember the main difference was the IBM version had a quite a few more keys. Floppy drive was on the right side like my EX...but definitely not a rebranded EX.

Each had a card in front of it with specs but it's been so long ago I can't remember what the memory was or even if it was an 8088 or 8086.

• Like 1

Today I spotted this "Key Comp" which supposedly is a 286 with what seems to be a 3.5" drive. The seller is asking at least $250 + shipping to let it go, so I'm not in the market to buy it.

Edit: See also this thread on the Vintage Computer Federation forum:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?21264-Computer-In-A-Keyboard-PCs

IFi8OBf.jpg

Edited by carlsson

Wikipedia and Old-Computers both refer to PC-6000 and PC-8000 but all three IBM compatibles from Franklin Ace seem to be desktop models in the same form factor as the 5000, not all in ones.

What are the odds that Sears would've rebranded one of the other models already mentioned in this thread? Obviously not the Tandy's as you would have recognized that one, but perhaps a rebranded Amstrad or VTech Laser.

I worked at Sears when they sold the Franklin Apple and IBM knock offs. The IBM knock off's were desktop models, not all in 1's. They were 8088 with 640k of memory (maybe a tad more). They were nothing special and IMHO a rip off since I believe 286's were starting to come out at the time.

The Apple models were compact. I thought they were Laser's, but Im pretty sure we sold Franklin Apple compat models also.

We didnt sell many Franklin IBM compat due to price/performance/features. They were junk. We sold a few of the Lasers, but not having 100% compat hurt them. I pushed a # of people to get Atari ST's instead at that time from the local Atari dealer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion... if you want to play games on "original" hardware, and want everything from 8088/XT all the way up to Pentium 2, then you'll want to have two systems. I recommend something like a Tandy 386 SX for the lower-end / older games (so you can get the 3-voice polyphony sound), and then go with literally a Pentium 2 PC for the mid to early 2000 games.

That's what I have, and it serves my needs really well. Except, I don't have a Tandy, I have a DELL 325P which is a super slim-line PC. 3.5" floppy and a CD drive.

• 2 weeks later...

A 386 Tandy is too fast for the XT era games. Try playing Paratrooper on that. You need at least 3 systems if you want to stay on vintage hardware. An XT class machine (I use a Tandy 1000TX), a 386 for Wing Commander, etc(I use a Tandy 2500sx), and a Pentium II or III on a 440BX motherboard for protected mode games and early Windows.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An Epson PC286C all-in-one is for sale on eBay by one of our regulars. It doesn't seem to have been mentioned previously in this thread. Epson even fitted TWO floppy drives into that case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263394723135

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273555-vintage-japanese-8-bit-computers-and-games-for-sale/

• Like 2