IGNORED

Introductory prices of Atari 8bits?

leech

Well, pertinent to the topic, here are a couple references that are from quite-known sources:

1980 Suggested Retail Price List:

https://archive.org/details/AtariPersonalComputerSystemsSuggestedRetailPriceList_1980-06-01

1984 Retailer Confidential Price List

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Retailer_Confidential_Price_List_Jan_1984.pdf

Talk about expensive for the time and the [then] value of the currency!

• Like 5

1500$ each for a 48K 800 and an 815.....

The 815 would have been good value for money at only 100$ more than 2 810s.

Interestingly the dealer discounts on hardware are much better than those on software.

The manuals were cheap, however.

I always kind of tended to think most of us ended up with a 600XL or 800XL, right? Except some of the earlier richer people?

I'm trying to remember if we got the 800XL before or after we sold off our 2600+games.

Hmm, all this talk about the 8-bit is making me want my 130XE back from it's upgrade soup really soon! Of course I always have my original 800XL I could load up...

attachicon.gifIMG_20170831_081048.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170831_080803.jpg

Some 'street' prices in late 1980 from BYTE for January 1981. Unless you went to the big city these were mail order prices and mail order was less trustworthy back then.

Ain't that the truth! Several horror stories of mail order...

1) Dumb young me was curious and pulled apart our 'Happy' 1050. Accidentally put the chip in one pin pair off, fried it. We took it into the local Atari shop who said they had to send it off for repair, a month went by, we asked about it, nope still nothing, a few more months went by... they went out of business. Pretty much curbed the usage of our 800XL for years...

2) We mail ordered Racing Destruction Set and Lords of Conquest. Months went by and they finally called us and asked if we wanted to cancel our order because they were out of stock, we told them we could wait. They never did get any RDS in stock (we finally found a pirate copy anyhow) but we did eventually get Lords of Conquest. It's no wonder a lot of people pirated software, in many cases it was far easier to get than legitimately.

• Like 1

Ain't that the truth! Several horror stories of mail order...

1) Dumb young me was curious and pulled apart our 'Happy' 1050. Accidentally put the chip in one pin pair off, fried it. We took it into the local Atari shop who said they had to send it off for repair, a month went by, we asked about it, nope still nothing, a few more months went by... they went out of business. Pretty much curbed the usage of our 800XL for years...

2) We mail ordered Racing Destruction Set and Lords of Conquest. Months went by and they finally called us and asked if we wanted to cancel our order because they were out of stock, we told them we could wait. They never did get any RDS in stock (we finally found a pirate copy anyhow) but we did eventually get Lords of Conquest. It's no wonder a lot of people pirated software, in many cases it was far easier to get than legitimately.

Ahh, The bad old days of mail order. Everything took weeks to ship, no tracking

attachicon.gifIMG_20170831_133440.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170831_133602.jpg

From January 1980 BYTE. Atari ad does say 10K BASIC, which makes sense if you include the math ROM.

One mail order ad just says 20% off all Atari items but gives no list.

OK, fair enough, but it still seems strange to call an 8K cartridge 10K.

So if you have a 10K OS and you have a 10K BASIC it totals 18K? ;)

Edited by MrFish

Ah but they didn't call it a 10K cart.

Anyway, what's 2K among friends? Everyone says the 800XL has 64K when only 62K are accessible.

Edit: Oops, I see the Atari ad did call it a 10K cart, though the mail order ad called it 10K ROM.

Edited by ClausB
  • Like 1

Ah but they didn't call it a 10K cart.

Anyway, what's 2K among friends? Everyone says the 800XL has 64K when only 62K are accessible.

Edit: Oops, I see the Atari ad did call it a 10K cart, though the mail order ad called it 10K ROM.

"What's 2K among friends?"... haha... Marketing number games/shenanigans. Remember, 2K was a lot in those days (in terms of storage) and that's +25% to the 8K.

True about the 62K/64K, but by that time 2K meant a lot less, and 2K is just a little more than +3% to the 62K.

• Like 1

In the early days mail order from the US was the only way to get some Atari stuff here in Europe. I remember it always took some time to convince my dad to let me use his credit card to order. At least he liked mail order in general and wasn't suspicious as we also bought wondrous pilot supplies/gadgets from time to time. I don't think I have any of these typed up orders left but I remember typing them, sending them off via airmail and then waiting for weeks for the stuff to arrive. I think I even "pooled" orders for my friends whose parents were less easy on mail order and of course to save postage.

Got MAE, Monkey Wrench II, APEFace, Action!, DOS XL, exDDT and some other stuff from the Antic! catalog that way, maybe my TAC-2 as well. The only "lemon" we ever received was Shamus: Case II which didn't run on our 800 and which we go on floppy instead of the ordered cart. I don't recall any orders not arriving at all.

(Had a much worse experience with a German dealer about 7-8 years later who sold me a 240/44 Syquest combination - paid py postal money order, a service long gone as well - with a wrongly installed connector shorting one of the ribbon cables and the drives as well and then took weeks and dozens of increasingly furious phone calls to return it repaired.)

• Like 1

From memory the 810 was £399.00 initially (maybe 299.00)

Basically whatever it was in USD was what we paid in UK Pounds ie $649.00 = £649.00 at a time when it was 2USD to a Pound...We were ripped off sommit rotten, even with my staff discount it was still expensive initially.

• Like 2

It's funny to see people ragging on mail order. :) We had no qualms ordering by mail in the early '80s. My Sinclair ZX-81 was ordered direct from Sinclair in the summer of '81, my 400 was ordered from a Pennsylvania mail order outlet in fall '82 and my 800 came from a NYC mail order place in the summer of '83. No problems with any of those transactions that I recall, except that it took about a month to get the 400, as I recall.

• Like 1

Hi,

nice thread :-)

I found an old invoice about a complete Atari Computer system dated from September 1984. All prices are in "Deutsche Mark", the former currency before the Euro came over us...

All prices are incl. tax. In 1984 the conversion rate was approx 1 USD = 2,84 Deutsche Mark.

attachicon.gifGerman bill dated 1984.jpg

For the english people here :grin: the translation:

1. Atari 800 XL Computer

2. Atari 1025 Printer

3. Atari 1050 Diskdrive

4. Sanyo Color CRT monitor

5. Atari to monitor cable

6. Two pieces Joystick (I think the CX-40)

7. A game (cart? disk? not known...)

8. A game (cart? disk? not known...)

9. A book (let´s guess... I think it´s "My Atari Computer" (Poole))

10. Paper for the printer

11. Floppy disks, I thin 10 pieces

Wasn´t really cheap that time...

Man you were a rich guy ! :D

I payed DFL (Dutch guilders) 599,- for the 600XL and a whopping DFL349,- for the 1010....when it had just came out those were the prices. I think the 800XL was DFL 899.- ?

Just checked the internet, a dollar cost about DFL 2,80 then, so converted to dollars the 600XL was USD214, and the 1010 USD125.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some additional insight as to why they were probably still calling it 10K BASIC when it was on an 8K cartridge ROM.

This is from the Atari 8-Bit ROM Source Code Project ReadMe file:

The OS itself initially fitted in 8 KB of ROM space, but it was decided by Atari that it should also include 2 KB Floating Point Package (FPP), originally part of Atari BASIC designed by Shepardson Microsystems. The Atari BASIC was specified as having the size of 10 KB,[WLKNSN] but a cartridge of this size could not be built - the system architecture allows the cartridge size to be either 8 or 16 KB. So the excessive 2 KB of code was designed to be built in the computers along with the OS. The FPP became part of the OS ever since.

[WLKNSN] Wilkinson, Bill. "Introduction: Being a History of Two Births: "Coleen" and "Candy"". Inside Atari DOS. ISBN 0-942386-02-7. Compute! Publications, 1983-04. <http://www.atariarchives.org/iad/introduction.php>

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...