IGNORED

Link 2 7800s?

SoundGammon

It's entirely possible to link two consoles providing the software is written with it in mind. Zero Tolerance on the Mega Drive has multiplayer by using a simple cable to join the second controller ports on two consoles so that each console acts as a controller for the other, making sure to synchronise the action.

I've always wondered if it would be possible to link 2 7800s together through the expansion ports and maybe play a custom version of Pole Position II head to head! Or a special 4 player version of Ballblazer!

Just dreaming here...

Over on the Atari 8-bit side of things, the unreleased port of MIDI Maze could be networked via the SIO Port and a MIDI Adapter up to multiple Atari 8-bit computers or even STs. There were other ways also to connect just 2 Atari 8-bits together like using SX212 modems via the SIO Port; I don't know if null modem cables were an option for it though. I mentioned MIDI Maze because for some reason, Atari Corp had planned to release it for the 7800. That and the XM will have an SIO Port.

In recent years, also on the Atari 8-bit side, they've come up with a way to network their systems using the Parallel Bus expansion port that the XL series had. There are games now that support that feature but I haven't seen any of the older commercial titles hacked to support it yet. Same goes for those cool MultiJoy adapters.

Note: The 7800 doesn't natively have an SIO or PBI connector and the MultiJoy most likely wouldn't work on it either just like it won't work on a 5200. The 7800 Expansion Port probably doesn't have enough bandwidth for such a cool idea either. I'd settle for the option to add extra joysticks like the old Parallel Printer Port-to-DB9 trick that was used with the Atari STs and Amigas to add 4 player joystick support on games like Gauntlet II. But again...bandwidth.

I've always wondered if it would be possible to link 2 7800s together through the expansion ports and maybe play a custom version of Pole Position II head to head! Or a special 4 player version of Ballblazer!

Just dreaming here...

The expansion port on the 7800 only brings out video signals and a couple misc control signals from the CPU so there is no way to use it for interfacing. The joystick ports on the other hand can be configured for either input or output so in theory you could connect two machines through their second controller ports.