IGNORED

ColecoVision/ADAM Ultimate SD Wafer Drive (Up to 32GB of storage space)

HDTV1080P

There is a product on the market for ColecoVision/ADAM owners that is called the “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive” by ATARIMAX (also known as Ultimate SD cartridge on its old style label name). The Ultimate SD Wafer Drive has been produced in huge QTY’s and can be purchased directly on Amazon and EBAY. It ships with both a fully licensed version of Mario Brothers (64KB) and Mr. Chin (32KB) ColecoVision/ADAM games on a 16GB SDHC media. One’s entire ColecoVision/ADAM cartridge rom image collection can fit on one SDHC wafer card.

The following are only a few advantages of the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive

1. It allows game developers to distribute games on low cost SD media. Blank 2GB size SD wafer cards can be purchased from online venders for only around $2 each (blank 8GB SDHC for around $2.50 each). Low cost 32GB SDHC wafer cards can be purchased from many different venders for under $10 if one needs that much space to distribute games. If the Coleco game developers back in the 80’s would have had the ability to create Supergames with 32GB of storage space for under $10, the quality of the games would have been something the world has never seen before. With 32GB of storage space programmers do not have to worry about trying to fit their games in a small amount of space. Now having a full 32GB of space for games has become a reality.

2. A future firmware update for the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive will offer full support for up to 2TB SDXC wafer cards with exFAT file support.

3. Current firmware supports up to 32GB SDHC wafer cards for programmers that want to create huge Supergames and programs (The actual capacity of the current hardware is to allow up to 4MB of data to be loaded at any moment. A game developer can page data in and out from the 32GB SDHC wafer cards as needed, which means a programmer can literally make one large ColecoVision/ADAM videogame that takes up the entire 32GB of space on the SDHC wafer media). ADAM owners could create a completely new operating system that would install with a cartridge reset and look similar to Windows.

4. Distributing games on SD wafer media is much more cheaper and powerful than game cartridges.

5. There are over 1.25 billion Windows PC’s in the world that can play ColecoVision games with a software emulation program. An internal or external SDXC card reader can be purchased for under $5 that allows over a billion people to play the ColecoVision SD Wafer rom images. Therefore distributing ones ColecoVision games on SD Wafer media allows over 1.25 billion people to have the potential to play the game. Releasing the game on a physical cartridge limits the sales to a small amount of people with a 1982-1985 ColecoVision game system.

6. SD Copy protection technology: Making a quality game for the ColecoVision/ADAM can take several months or years. There is technology that makes it impossible to copy a SD card so that the ColecoVision game rom image cannot be duplicated with a simple copy and paste technique on a Windows PC. Game developers that want to protect their hard work from being copied can release all their games on copy protected SD media. Cartridges released today do not use copy protection, so SD media with copy protection is more secure to protect peoples hard work.

7. A future third party firmware update could make SD media 100% secure from being copied: Videogame developers that want to protect their hard work from being copied, could in the future release secure encrypted Supergames onto SD media. With a third party firmware update to the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive, it would be possible to make an encryption system with a digital serial number key that would marry the SD card wafer Supergame to only one Ultimate SD Wafer Drive.

Making videogames is a time consuming process. In the 21st Century game programmers now have better tools to create videogames when compared to the technology Coleco used in the early 80’s to create videogames. If research and development was spent with Supercomputers, it would be possible to create state of the art tools that would allow game developers to speed up the game developing process. Using a touchpad onscreen drawing interface and a supercomputer one could greatly speed up the ColecoVision game code development time. If greater tools were created for 8 bit videogame systems like the ColecoVision/ADAM then amazing large 32GB size games could be created by a team of programmers in a few months instead of years. Opening up the games to be sold to a potential customer base of 1.25 billion people or more would create an entire new market for classic 8 bit videogames even if only less than 1% of those people were to purchase the game, one is looking at lot of ColecoVision SD wafer game media being sold. A talented programmer could create games more popular than even Pacman and Donkey Kong by using their creative imagination.

More detailed information

To help make things more clear I am creating this add on post that hopefully will answer everyone’s questions.

1. Distributing games on SD media and using copy protection has nothing to do with ATARIMAX and their cartridges: There are different types of copy protection technologies and encryption technologies that keep data secure on SD cards. There is secure and so far unbreakable encryption technologies like 256 bit AES and 448 bit blowfish technology that keeps data secure. Now I understand that once one uses an authorized key to unlock that encryption and to covert the file to a standard unencrypted file, that the file or rom image can be copied and read once its back in its unencrypted state. Therefore, the purpose of the first post was to bring people’s attention that some different types of copy protection and/or encryption technology can be used on the SD media itself that would protect the media from being copied with a simple copy and paste in Windows, MAC, or Linux machine. Preventing the copy from occurring on the Windows PC, MAC, and Linux computer is the most important place to protect the SD Wafer rom image from being copied and not the cartridge SD wafer drive.

2. The existing firmware in the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive is designed to read Atari 5200 or ColecoVision/ADAM videogames on cartridge that do not use any encryption or copy protection technology (Which is 100% of all current ROM images): Currently many people use the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD Wafer Drive to play classic public domain rom images for ColecoVision/ADAM and ATARI 5200 games that they have downloaded from various websites. In addition, some commercial ROM images are for sale on various third party websites that people purchase and can play with a PC with emulation program, or with the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD Wafer Drive on a real console. Game developers also use the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive to play their homemade videogames on an actual console.

3. ATARIMAX firmware update information: ATARIMAX is currently working on an Official firmware update that will offer exFAT file support. Once that firmware update is released consumers can use up to 2TB SDXC wafer cards in theory. Currently in the year 2017 512GB SDXC cards are the largest available on the market; however in the lab 1TB and 2TB SDXC cards are being worked on for a future release in the years to come. So one day a 2TB size videogame for the ColecoVision/ADAM and ATARI 5200 system could become a reality if one had the time in their lifetime to make a videogame that size (Using Super computers with specially made software, one could greatly reduce the development time since the computer would write automated code with a graphic interface).

4. A Possible future firmware update from a third party programmer can make copy protection and/or encryption technology possible in the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive cartridge: With my communication with ATARIMAX it was my understanding that anyone can make a special firmware update for the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive that would allow a game programmer to use copy protection and/or encryption technology with a digital serialized key that is unique to each cartridge. This means a SD wafer game can be serialized to run on only one Ultimate SD Wafer Drive. This would most likely be a third party firmware update only. However, it is my understanding that if enough videogame developers want this copy protection technology inside the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive cartridge, then ATARIMAX would consider maybe writing a firmware update to offer that feature.

post-10892-0-95256800-1503915521_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-57895900-1503915566_thumb.jpg

post-10892-0-18304800-1503915607_thumb.jpg

Edited by HDTV1080P

Fascinating. I'll definitely have to get one.

From a developer POV, I'm curious about how the bank switching works within a game. I'm sure there's documentation about this somewhere on the Atari Age forums.

Edited by MiniRPG

More detailed information

To help make things more clear I am creating this add on post that hopefully will answer everyone’s questions.

1. Distributing games on SD media and using copy protection has nothing to do with ATARIMAX and their cartridges: There are different types of copy protection technologies and encryption technologies that keep data secure on SD cards. There is secure and so far unbreakable encryption technologies like 256 bit AES and 448 bit blowfish technology that keeps data secure. Now I understand that once one uses an authorized key to unlock that encryption and to covert the file to a standard unencrypted file, that the file or rom image can be copied and read once its back in its unencrypted state. Therefore, the purpose of the first post was to bring people’s attention that some different types of copy protection and/or encryption technology can be used on the SD media itself that would protect the media from being copied with a simple copy and paste in Windows, MAC, or Linux machine. Preventing the copy from occurring on the Windows PC, MAC, and Linux computer is the most important place to protect the SD Wafer rom image from being copied and not the cartridge SD wafer drive.

2. The existing firmware in the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive is designed to read Atari 5200 or ColecoVision/ADAM videogames on cartridge that do not use any encryption or copy protection technology (Which is 100% of all current ROM images): Currently many people use the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD Wafer Drive to play classic public domain rom images for ColecoVision/ADAM and ATARI 5200 games that they have downloaded from various websites. In addition, some commercial ROM images are for sale on various third party websites that people purchase and can play with a PC with emulation program, or with the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD Wafer Drive on a real console. Game developers also use the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive to play their homemade videogames on an actual console.

3. ATARIMAX firmware update information: ATARIMAX is currently working on an Official firmware update that will offer exFAT file support. Once that firmware update is released consumers can use up to 2TB SDXC wafer cards in theory. Currently in the year 2017 512GB SDXC cards are the largest available on the market; however in the lab 1TB and 2TB SDXC cards are being worked on for a future release in the years to come. So one day a 2TB size videogame for the ColecoVision/ADAM and ATARI 5200 system could become a reality if one had the time in their lifetime to make a videogame that size (Using Super computers with specially made software, one could greatly reduce the development time since the computer would write automated code with a graphic interface).

4. A Possible future firmware update from a third party programmer can make copy protection and/or encryption technology possible in the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive cartridge: With my communication with ATARIMAX it was my understanding that anyone can make a special firmware update for the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive that would allow a game programmer to use copy protection and/or encryption technology with a digital serialized key that is unique to each cartridge. This means a SD wafer game can be serialized to run on only one Ultimate SD Wafer Drive. This would most likely be a third party firmware update only. However, it is my understanding that if enough videogame developers want this copy protection technology inside the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive cartridge, then ATARIMAX would consider maybe writing a firmware update to offer that feature.

Hmmm. Why is the name different from the atarimax ultimate sd cart I have from a few years ago. Is it different? Is this one from steven tucker as well.?

At present the largest rom size I can program is 512kb as far as I know using bank switching. It would be nice to be able to go beyond that somehow for video or large scrolling options or digital sound.

SD media is a lot cheaper then cartridges. Sometimes 8GB sizes can be found as low as $2.50. Releasing the game on SD wafer media results in a lower price for the consumer while at the same time being able to play the game on both a real system and PC.

You do not need to purchase another cartridge if you already own a SD version from ATARIMAX. The “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive” by ATARIMAX is also exactly the same as the “Ultimate SD cartridge”, the only difference is the new style label. Since the cartridge operates like a solid-state wafer drive for SD media, the new label is just a more clear meaning of what the cartridge really is. Also with my communications with ATARIMAX, if anyone prefers the new label they can contact ATARIMAX and one can arrange to send their existing Ultimate SD Cartridge in to be relabeled to say “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive”.

Current firmware supports up to 32GB SDHC wafer cards for programmers that want to create huge Supergames and programs (The actual capacity of the current hardware is to allow up to 4MB of data to be loaded at any moment. A game developer can page data in and out from the 32GB SDHC wafer cards as needed, which means a programmer can literally make one large ColecoVision/ADAM videogame that takes up the entire 32GB of space on the SDHC wafer media).

Ok so i got it. You are suggesting we sell sd cards with the colecovision rom on it that has been encrypted.

This would essentiall be the new cartridge format.

So that makes sense.

I think most people that have the sd cartridge would prefer just to download the rom at that point. Seems like too much trouble to encrypt a sd card and mail it out for such a small number of potential clients. 50-100. Someone would for sure un encrypt it anyways and even if they don't the sd cards are really corrupted easily and they would want a backup.I think anyone buying a physical copy would prefer the normal cartridge and they can back it up to their sd cartrdige if they have 1 anyways. And of course some people don't have the sd cart and never will so but might still want the game on regular cartridge.

But the ultimate sd cartridge is awsome and every coleco owner should have 1. I like the idea of a giant game beyond 512kb so perhaps that would be the one area where sd card distribution would make sense.

With my email communications with Steven J. Tucker at ATARIMAX. It is my understanding that his purpose for the original Ultimate SD Cartridge was for ColecoVision/ADAM game developers and ATARI 5200 game developers to be able to distribute videogames on SD media. The advantage of SD media is that it’s cheaper, faster, and offers much more storage space when compared to actual game cartridges. The option of using copy protection and being able to use the SD media on an emulation program on a real PC was my idea.

I mentioned to Steven Tucker that Coleco Industries back in 1983 originally planned on coming out with a high-speed wafer tape drive for Supergames because developing a cartridge that used more than 32KB was too expensive back in the 80’s. Therefore I made the suggest that his product should be called an “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive” instead of an “Ultimate SD Cartridge”. Steven at ATARIMAX agreed to try the new style label on his product, since he always had a vision of his product being used by game developers to distribute games on SD media instead of cartridges. The ColecoVision/ADAM version of the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive is currently being used for people that own the OPCODE Supergame module. ATARIMAX has made some custom labels for both the ColecoVision/ADAM and ATARI 5200 systems with the words “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive”. Again the only difference between the “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive” and the older label called “Ultimate SD Cartridge” is the label. 100% of the electronics are exactly the same. The Ultimate SD Wafer Drive can be purchased on Amazon and EBAY websites. People can also purchase the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive directly from ATARIMAX.

Current firmware Supports MMC, SD, and SDHC wafer cards. Both the FAT and FAT32 Filesystem is supported (full long filenames are support also). The FAT filesystem is needed for older SD cards under 2GB in size. The FAT32 filesystem is for native SDHC cards with 2GB to 32GB capacity. ATARIMAX is working on a firmware update for the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive so that the exFAT file system can be used on the latest SDXC cards with a 32GB to 2TB capacity (512GB SDXC cards exist in retail stores in 2017. 1TB and 2TB sizes are planned to be released by SD card manufactories in the future). One day having a ColecoVision/ADAM videogame and ATARI 5200 videogame up to 2TB in size will become a reality if a programmer needs that much space. It should also be mentioned that blank SD media under 2GB in size is no longer being manufactured. Today consumers have a choice between SDHC and SDXC cards. Sometime in future years most likely blank SDHC cards between 2GB to 32GB will one day be going out of production as the demand for consumer storage capacity increases for 4K video camcorders built into Smartphones and other massive storage needs for apps in future generations of tablets and Smartphones. Therefore, ATARIMAX is working on a firmware update for exFAT file support and SDXC card support just in case one day blank SDHC cards between 2GB to 32GB go out of production. The SD card industry keeps increasing in capacity size while at the same time the price per GB keeps falling in price.

More information on bank switching 4MB at a time for up to 32GB capacity under the current firmware (The text below in blue are word for word quotes from Steven Tucker at ATARIMAX)

“The limit of the current hardware is 4mbit for flat ROM images.”

Question: If One installs a 32GB SDHC card into the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive, could a game developer use the entire 32GB of space to make a super large game that is 32GB in size?

Yes, you can go beyond 4mbit by using the onboard CPU to load and save data as needed to and from the card.I'm not aware of any ColecoVision titles that use these

functions at the moment, however there are a couple games on the 5200 cartridge that do use it for

loading levels and saving high scores.”

Edited by HDTV1080P

I have an ultimate SD Cartridge and also the old one (i don't remember the name , the one without SD). They are fantastic harwdare, and a must have.

but i have to admit despite i had already think to distribute homebrew on SD Card and came to the conclusion it is not a good idea. I think people doing retro and buying homebrews on colecovision want expect something more authentic. A SD card is not retro. there is a kind of anachronism to sell a game on a SD card for a Colecovision.

Of course for a game of 32giga.... it would make sense... as anyway a 32 giga game is no moret retro!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On the Internet I came across this Wafer Drive that is a Wafer Card USB Flash Drive. A Wafer is any electronic device that conducts electricity and a Drive is anything that reads and writes data.

http://www.usb-flashdrive.com/usb-flash-drives/card-usb-sticks-en/item/176-wafer-drive

Back in 1983 Coleco was going to release a Wafer tape drive that would have been built in their Supergame module, of course that product was never released.

http://www.colecovision.dk/sgm.htm

• 2 weeks later...

There is a product on the market for ColecoVision/ADAM owners that is called the “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive” by ATARIMAX (also known as Ultimate SD cartridge on its old style label name). The Ultimate SD Wafer Drive has been produced in huge QTY’s and can be purchased directly on Amazon and EBAY.

So I'm even further confused. Is this Steven Tucker's auction or someone else's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ColecoVision-ADAM-Ultimate-SD-Wafer-Drive-with-Mario-Brothers-and-Mr-Chin-/112563682252

I know that Steven lives (or used to live) in Ohio, but this auction is from Minnesota.

I also see no mention at all of the "wafer drive" on the AtariMax website:

https://www.atarimax.com/

Something doesn't add up here.

EDIT: Being a moderator I can also see that the location of the original poster matches nearby to the location of that eBay auction. (Coincidence? I highly doubt it.) And if this IS the original posters auction, why didn't he disclose that in his post? I'm also pretty sure that the original poster is not Steve Tucker based on how he is talking about Steve in his post. So did the original poster buy a bunch of SD carts from Steve and slap a new label on them trying to sell them as something "new?" Or is this a new product from AtariMax that is being exclusively distributed by the original poster? I'm really confused by all of this.

Another EDIT: This is getting even weirder. On Amazon, this product is being sold by "AtariMax" so does this eBay auction/Amazon page actually belong to Steve Tucker? Or is there something shady going on here?

https://www.amazon.com/ColecoVision-Ultimate-Wafer-Drive-Mario-Brothers/dp/B073HY1GFB/

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 09.42.13.png

I find it very strange that there is no mention of the "Wafer Drive" on the official AtariMax website, and these sales would appear to be by someone NOT living in the same location at Steve Tucker (unless Steve has moved since the last time I shipped something to him last year). And if this Amazon storefront and eBay auction belongs to the original poster why wouldn't they disclose this? Is CollectorVision aware that someone is using two of their products (Mario Bros. and Mr. Chin) as a selling point on Amazon???

Yet ANOTHER EDIT: Upon further inspection, it would appear this storefront belongs to "SM Video" and is also selling Super Game Modules on Amazon! Is Eduardo aware of this???

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B073HY1GFB&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A3MM1NDUD7HV5B

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 09.46.32.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 09.47.00.png

So clearly this doesn't appear to be Steven Tucker, and my Spidey sense is feeling "scam" to me unless someone can show me otherwise.

• Like 1

So I'm even further confused. Is this Steven Tucker's auction or someone else's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ColecoVision-ADAM-Ultimate-SD-Wafer-Drive-with-Mario-Brothers-and-Mr-Chin-/112563682252

I know that Steven lives (or used to live) in Ohio, but this auction is from Minnesota.

I also see no mention at all of the "wafer drive" on the AtariMax website:

https://www.atarimax.com/

Something doesn't add up here.

EDIT: Being a moderator I can also see that the location of the original poster matches nearby to the location of that eBay auction. (Coincidence? I highly doubt it.) And if this IS the original posters auction, why didn't he disclose that in his post? I'm also pretty sure that the original poster is not Steve Tucker based on how he is talking about Steve in his post. So did the original poster buy a bunch of SD carts from Steve and slap a new label on them trying to sell them as something "new?" Or is this a new product from AtariMax that is being exclusively distributed by the original poster? I'm really confused by all of this.

This is such a wafer-brained idea. No programmer is going to distribute new games on SD card, even if it is for a relabelled AtariMax cart, I love the device but slapping a wafer label on it and trying to pass it off as some new programmer game distribution device is asinine. Trying to evoke the original Coleco wafer device is just as pointless.

• Like 2

So this is also strange. Here's a post on the AtariMax forum from 2010: https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=951

The ONLY person who uses the word "wafer drive" to refer to the SD Cart is none other than the original poster of this thread.

From the original poster's text above, he makes it sound as though he is trying to pass this "Ultimate SD Wafer Drive" off as something new and just recently supported:

called the “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive” by ATARIMAX (also known as Ultimate SD cartridge on its old style label name).

A future firmware update for the Ultimate SD Wafer Drive will offer full support...

Not to mention that they are also trying to pass it off as some new "development tool."

This is why I feel this entire post is scammy:

- The original poster does not disclose that the storefronts on eBay and Amazon are theirs. (And I apologize if this turns out to be not the case)

- The original poster seemed to be in the know about this item since 2010, but is trying to imply that it's a new product or a revised version of an old product in 2017

- The original poster is trying to convince people that this is "development tool" when it is really just the AtariMax Ultimate SD cart with a different label

If you are interested in an AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart I suggest buying it from the source: https://www.atarimax.com/

There are authorized ATARIMAX dealers located on both Amazon and EBAY websites that sale official ATARIMAX products. This new Ultimate SD Wafer Drive label is an official custom ATARIMAX label that can be special ordered directly from ATARIMAX. The default label when ordering from ATARIMAX is the standard Ultimate SD cartridge label. This is not a big deal, if one does not like the Wafer Drive label then they can decide not to purchase the product, or purchase the product with the standard label.

I see CollectorVision games is coming out with a ColecoVision compatible game system with both a cartridge slot and a SD drive built in. The CollectorVision games, with their business arrangement with ATARIMAX bundles a licensed digital version of Mario Bros and Mr. Chin on a SDHC card. There is a possibility that more ColecoVision games might be released on SD media from various companies, especially with the new CoelcoVision compatible videogame system that is coming out with a built in SD drive (No need to spend $130+ on a SD Wafer Drive cartridge if one purchases this new videogame system that will be released in the future http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265958-collectorvision-game-system/ ).

Edited by HDTV1080P

It's not uncommon to pass such devices as "programmer tools" so that they might be sold in legit channels such as Amazon despite their predominate use as piracy enablers. I've no issue with this, because on rare occasion it actually does enable some programmer's creativity. In this strange example, though, the dude is selling a programmers tool with "blatant" Nintendo copyrighted Mario materials included, which, since the roms are so easily obtainable, must only have been included to increase the search value of the title.

The attempted association with "wafer" is odd, in that literally no one remembers Coleco planned this, and even once informed, there is no nostalgic connection to "wafers" and therefore if it is not to be named "ultimate SD cart" then it might as well be named the Waffle Drive, as it has just as much association with Coleco as "Wafer". (Because I once ate a Waffle before playing my ColecoVision.)

There are authorized ATARIMAX dealers located on both Amazon and EBAY websites that sale official ATARIMAX products.

Does that Amazon & eBay storefront belong to you? And if "yes" why didn't you disclose that, and why have you still not disclosed that?

This new Ultimate SD Wafer Drive

AtariMax has never referred to their SD Cart as a "Wafer Drive" in any documentation that I can find. The only person who has ever used that term is you, and you used it in 2010. The fact that you seem to still be wanting to pass this off as something "new" and different is the part that is very scammy to me. (Assuming you are the same person who is selling them on eBay and Amazon)

It's not uncommon to pass such devices as "programmer tools" so that they might be sold in legit channels such as Amazon despite their predominate use as piracy enablers.

I actually get that, but the fact that he's trying to pass off what appears to be nothing more than an AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart with a different label **HERE** of all places as a development tool is what raises the red flags for me.

There are authorized ATARIMAX dealers located on both Amazon and EBAY websites that sale official ATARIMAX products. This new Ultimate SD Wafer Drive label is an official custom ATARIMAX label that can be special ordered directly from ATARIMAX. The default label when ordering from ATARIMAX is the standard Ultimate SD cartridge label. This is not a big deal, if one does not like the Wafer Drive label then they can decide not to purchase the product, or purchase the product with the standard label.

I see CollectorVision games is coming out with a ColecoVision compatible game system with both a cartridge slot and a SD drive built in. The CollectorVision games, with their business arrangement with ATARIMAX bundles a licensed digital version of Mario Bros and Mr. Chin on a SDHC card. There is a possibility that more ColecoVision games might be released on SD media from various companies, especially with the new CoelcoVision compatible videogame system that is coming out with a built in SD drive (No need to spend $130+ on a SD Wafer Drive cartridge if one purchases this new videogame system that will be released in the future http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265958-collectorvision-game-system/ ).

People in this thread don't understand your insistence on using the term "wafer drive" since the original usage by Coleco was a high speed tape drive. It is totally pointless to rename the Ultimate SD as anything to do with wafer and serves no purpose other than to muddy the waters and attempt to push your agenda. It is a big deal because you are pushing an agenda to the people most likely to point out the fallacy of such usage of the term wafer.

Your arguments about using the term wafer need to stand on their own, using Collectorvision's new system as evidence is pointless since they have not said they will be selling games on SD, only the SD was to add support for other systems via emulation.

• Like 2

The very first sentence in this thread says:

There is a product on the market for ColecoVision/ADAM owners that is called the “Ultimate SD Wafer Drive” by ATARIMAX (also known as Ultimate SD cartridge on its old style label name).”

Several times I have mentioned in this thread and other threads that the Wafer Drive label is exactly the same product as the older Ultimate SD cartridge label.

ATARIMAX thought it was a good ideal to use the words Wafer Drive on their ATARI 5200 and ColecoVision/ADAM SD cartridges, because the product reads and writes data like an actual drive. The Wafer Drive label was my idea and it was approved by ATARIMAX, and ATARIMAX designed the actual label.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Several times I have mentioned in this thread and other threads that the Wafer Drive label is exactly the same product as the older Ultimate SD cartridge label.

ATARIMAX thought it was a good ideal to use the words Wafer Drive on their ATARI 5200 and ColecoVision/ADAM SD cartridges, because the product reads and writes data like an actual drive. The Wafer Drive label was my idea and it was approved by ATARIMAX, and ATARIMAX designed the actual label.

So the eBay and Amazon storefronts DO belong to you then?

Look, I'm just going to be upfront with you here...

What you said in your posts is very confusing regardless of your statement above, and if those storefronts do belong to you, then it just sounds like you're trying to sell off old stock you have of these products by trying to convince people that they are something new or different than what we might already be familiar with. The fact that you are selling them under a different name adds to that confusion.

Had you just come on here and said "I'm an authorized reseller of the Atarimax Ultimate SD Cart and I have some available..." then I think your post wouldn't have fallen under so much scrutiny. But that's not what you did, and at this point I wouldn't recommend anyone buying from you.

Go directly to the source if you want an SD Cart for your ColecoVision: https://www.atarimax.com/

• Like 2

People in this thread don't understand your insistence on using the term "wafer drive" since the original usage by Coleco was a high speed tape drive. It is totally pointless to rename the Ultimate SD as anything to do with wafer and serves no purpose other than to muddy the waters and attempt to push your agenda. It is a big deal because you are pushing an agenda to the people most likely to point out the fallacy of such usage of the term wafer.

Your arguments about using the term wafer need to stand on their own, using Collectorvision's new system as evidence is pointless since they have not said they will be selling games on SD, only the SD was to add support for other systems via emulation.

So if the thread never mentioned the word “Wafer Drive” and if an authorized ATARIMAX product did not have a custom label on it with the words “Wafer Drive” on it, then everyone would be happy?

If the answer to that question is yes, then don’t purchase the product. ATARIMAX can always discontinue the label and exiting cartridges can be relabeled without the words “Wafer Drive”. However regardless of what the product is called, it functions exactly the same.