IGNORED

Wii U Back to being my primary console.

Rick Dangerous

Well....

The Switch is a blast but i'm finding there is only so much to do on it. That being said my Wii U has gone back to being my primary console. Reasons:

-Can watch Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime

-Still many titles in the library that I need to explore!

-My virtual console library is pretty solid at this point

-Recent releases of some solid titles (Shantae, Darksiders, etc.)

-More AAA adult titles that are up my alley at this time

Anyone back to using their Wii U more than their Switch? Or am i the lone weirdo?

Anyone back to using their Wii U more than their Switch? Or am i the lone weirdo?

That's completely rational. Same thing happened for me with N64 (SNES), DS (GBA), PS2 (PSone), XB360 (OG Xbox) ... there is always a backlog of good stuff on the older system.

Well, except in the case of Wii U, which dried up years ago, which makes you a lone weirdo. :lolblue:

Just kidding, you're not weird, just ... disturbed!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I always chaffed at the use of the Gamepad in the streaming apps, but I do still use my Wii U. There's a ton of great games and I didn't complete them all. Lately I've been finishing up Toad Treasure Tracker while my family plays Mario + Rabbids. I think the switch is probably my primary console at this point but the Wii U is still firmly in my rotation.

Yeah I don't think it's too unusual... same thing happens to me with almost every new system for a while.

I am a little disappointed in how *quickly* I've (hopefully temporarily) lost interest in my Switch, though. And I've more or less decided that I'm not gonna bother waiting for some of the ports from the Wii U that a lot of people are hoping for, I'm just going to get those games on the Wii U.

Right now I am absolutely stuck at a boss in the *first* Bayonetta on the Wii U, but that and Sin & Punishment for the Wii (on the Wii U) are the two games I'm really playing at the moment. I've worn out MK8 on the Switch and just got tired of Zelda. Haven't found other things worth spending my money on yet, at least not more than a bunch of games I missed on the Wii U and Wii.

Washed my hands of the Wii U and haven't looked back. The interface is too slow and that gamepad is redonkulously huge. Sure, it's got nice exclusives, but that alone doesn't justify the system.

I washed my hands of the Wii U and the Switch. My commute lasts 2 minutes at most and I have 4 kids, and I'm at work at least 10 hours a day. I bought a Switch to play Breath of the Wild because I had already sold my Wii U. I beat Breath of the Wild and I have already played all of the Switch Wii U re releases to date. I barely have 15- 20 minutes every other day to play a 2600 game. Most modern games are to much of a time commitment , and they take up my wifee time. I might be getting old, but HD or 4K gaming is the same thing to me. My PS3 and Vita barely get any play as it is. I really only use my PS3 for watching movies and Netflix. The Vita is only for old JRPGs and Super Meat Boy. Maybe one day when the kids are older I'll get more into modern gaming. Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

that gamepad is redonkulously huge.

I've heard a lot of people complain about that, but I find it really comfortable. Then again I have big hands so YMMV.

I have a huge backlog of Wii U games I need to get to, but I've just been too busy with life in general and FF XII on the PS4 (my favorite FF) so I don't know when I'll get back to it. BotW is just sitting there mocking me. :)

• Like 1

I liked the WiiU during it's run, but looking back on it... I'm not that overly fond or attached to it.

The Switch has already gotten some of the better titles off of it, and cards on the table, I like it not having all the media apps on it. I already have like 3-4 other items capable of streaming media in one way or another, so I'd prefer my game console just remain a game console in that regard.

Only bummer is that I'm losing all of my digital titles when I get rid of it. You can't sell your account, and it's attached to the account. Really hoping Nintendo will rectify this...

It's worth mentioning here that I'm going to sell mine soon, and I have a few decent titles and some of the bundle stuffs. (Wind Waker with the Ganondorf statue, Twilight Princess with Wolf Link, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Bayonetta 2 First Print w/ Bayonetta 1 disc) Anybody who sees this and might be interested is welcome to message me. (I hate making another sell thread just for a small selection of stuff.)

I liked the WiiU during it's run, but looking back on it... I'm not that overly fond or attached to it.

It just never got to hit its stride. It got dogged down early trying to be a third PS4/XBONE and failed miserably at it then never recovered. They really should have just forgot trying to port existing games to it and poured all their resources into original games.

• Like 2

It just never got to hit its stride. It got dogged down early trying to be a third PS4/XBONE and failed miserably at it then never recovered. They really should have just forgot trying to port existing games to it and poured all their resources into original games.

I really don't think there was much of a solution post launch. It just never gained the necessary initial momentum, much like the Vita. Nintendo would have had to have had a completely different marketing strategy and maybe even physical design. It's clear that even super appealing games weren't really moving systems beyond the Nintendo faithful who were already in place. Fortunately for Nintendo, they had no such launch window issues with the Switch, so at least they're on the right track again. It's good for the industry when there are three healthy options (not counting PC) available to gamers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had more faith in digital distribution, I really do. Even on Steam, which I do trust, I very rarely get anything at more than $30. There is so much I want on eShop/VC but I just don't want to spend on stuff without a secure future.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do, in order of totally trusted, anything after that becomes a bit iffy to me:

1.) Apple

2.) Amazon

3.) Sony

4.) Steam

I do, in order of totally trusted, anything after that becomes a bit iffy to me:

1.) Apple

2.) Amazon

3.) Sony

4.) Steam

I haven't had much experience with Apple, yet their focus does seem to be very heavily slanted towards positive user experience. Amazon is similar and I have had nothing but good outcomes with problems there, though like I said I shy away from digital purchases for the most part. I can see both of those companies doing well in digital. With Steam I've simply never had a problem and I've seen various bits about how they plan to ensure games are available in a worst case scenario (see: https://i.imgur.com/4sa1Ln6.jpg).

So I am curious what makes you put your trust in Sony? Outside of the PS4, my TV, my stereo and my Blu-ray and countless walk and discmans I don't really know them. Never had a return or warranty issue though I know others have not be quite as lucky. I just buy the hardware basically, so I'm curious what in your opinion makes them trustworthy in the digital realm?

Edited by milsorgen

I haven't had much experience with Apple, yet their focus does seem to be very heavily slanted towards positive user experience. Amazon is similar and I have had nothing but good outcomes with problems there, though like I said I shy away from digital purchases for the most part. I can see both of those companies doing well in digital. With Steam I've simply never had a problem and I've seen various bits about how they plan to ensure games are available in a worst case scenario (see: https://i.imgur.com/4sa1Ln6.jpg).

So I am curious what makes you put your trust in Sony? Outside of the PS4, my TV, my stereo and my Blu-ray and countless walk and discmans I don't really know them. Never had a return or warranty issue though I know others have not be quite as lucky. I just buy the hardware basically, so I'm curious what in your opinion makes them trustworthy in the digital realm?

They remember all the digital purchases I make very well. I could buy a new system and download everything I bought online. Was pretty cool, when I added a PS4 Pro to our world, I just grabbed what I wanted. Same with Apple, they even let you grab on the fly (E.G. new Apple Watch, every song you ever bought through iTunes is at your wrist). I have never tried, but I think it is the same with the new iPhone.

I was not talking about hardware anything, just simply digital delivery.

I have always found the gamepad comfortable as well.

It's comfortable for me but I think they may have actually focused a little too much on that. The Switch is arguably less comfortable - it's more flat, obviously, with less of a contour to wrap your fingers around. But I don't think many people would argue that that makes it a worse design. The benefits of its flatness and lessened girth are obvious compared to the Wii U controller. I do think the controller is the Wii U's big weak point, mainly because of its size and general chunkiness. (I haven't bought a Pro Controller yet, but it's one of my next purchases.)

On mine, at least, the shoulder buttons are also *really* soft. I've never been sure if that's normal. Like, I press them by mistake constantly, just resting my index fingers on them. The right one seems a little softer than the left too, although they're both so soft to begin with that it's hard to tell if it's just that my right hand is slightly stronger, or twitchier, than my left. But I do seem to mistakenly press the right button a lot more.

Anyway recently I have discovered that the original Wii was something of a last stand for light gun games, so now I'm playing the HotD games on my Wii U and I've bought a couple of guns for them too. Pretty awesome to be able to play these games on a plasma TV. I guess the Switch probably could do it too, but I wonder if we'll actually see any light gun rail shooters or any gun attachments for it.

Edited by spacecadet

It's comfortable for me but I think they may have actually focused a little too much on that. The Switch is arguably less comfortable - it's more flat, obviously, with less of a contour to wrap your fingers around. But I don't think many people would argue that that makes it a worse design. The benefits of its flatness and lessened girth are obvious compared to the Wii U controller. I do think the controller is the Wii U's big weak point, mainly because of its size and general chunkiness. (I haven't bought a Pro Controller yet, but it's one of my next purchases.)

I don't think anyone is saying the Switch tablet/joycon setup is a worse design for its intended use. The Wii U tablet controller was meant to be used as a primary control device when playing on a TV, one that also happened to offer minimal portable functionality as an added bonus. It needed to feel good for hours on end, whereas the Switch is the opposite of this where the tablet is not intended as a control device when playing on the TV. Thus, comparisons about comfort when playing in this manner aren't appropriate.

Is the Switch in its stock portable form more comfortable than the Wii U tablet? My bet is most will say no, but I also don't think peoples' expectations are really all that high for a truly portable system. If any of Nintendo's handhelds in the last 16 years are anything to go by, the portability factor comes first, with ergonomics and comfort coming second.

Anyway recently I have discovered that the original Wii was something of a last stand for light gun games, so now I'm playing the HotD games on my Wii U and I've bought a couple of guns for them too. Pretty awesome to be able to play these games on a plasma TV. I guess the Switch probably could do it too, but I wonder if we'll actually see any light gun rail shooters or any gun attachments for it.

It may have seemed like it at the time, but the genre is are experiencing a bit of a renaissance period (and an evolution) in VR at the moment. If you haven't tried them yet, you've got a lot to look forward to in the future. :)

It may have seemed like it at the time, but the genre is are experiencing a bit of a renaissance period (and an evolution) in VR at the moment. If you haven't tried them yet, you've got a lot to look forward to in the future. :)

Agreed on the VR thing. Even the shooting gallery mode in "PlayStation VR Worlds: The London Heist" is transformative.

• 9 months later...

It’s definitely my primary console. I love being able to play some great games on the pad, then Switch over and watch some Netflix. What a great console! Really the last Dedicated Nintendo Console. The Switch is really a hybrid. I liked the Switch, but the Wii U is such a good deal right now.

Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1