IGNORED

Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary SNES Repro [iam8bit]

So it looks like an official re-release of Street Fighter II as a 30th Anniversary cart for the Super Nintendo. It's supposed to be a real cartridge that works.

It's kinda expensive... Or I'd go ahead and get it. Looks snazzy as all get out though! :-o

Jump on it!

https://store.iam8bit.com/products/street-fighter-ii-30th-anniversary-edition

EDIT - Sorry at work and only had a moment to post it up. Here's a few of the images from the page.

store_icon-street_fighter_II-snes.jpg?v=

06-street_fighter_II-snes.jpg?v=15041333

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Seems it's just the game and some flashy minimal extras for a big price tag. I want it, just not for that much, and once those few copies are gone I can only imagine what it will climb to. SF2(and variants) to me is still their best and most balanced of the lot, yet all these years I never gave up my game or manual as it meant a lot of me with good memories using it as an arcade trainer. Even if I had a huge budget I don't think I could really do it but I'd love to have it I won't deny it.

WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”. Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product.

30th anniversary of what? Street Fighter II was first published in 1991, so last year would have been 25. The original Street Fighter, maybe?

Yeah, but nobody wants to play the first game. It was pretty bad. The only home console release of the original game was Fighting Street on the TurboGrafx and it's not like they're going to release a game on that system.

What's interesting is the choice of game. There were like five(?) Street Fighter II games on the SNES. They're basically all the same. Capcom could have at least chosen the one with the most characters or the fan favorite: Street Fighter II Turbo.

Well...pretty damn stupid as far as I am concerned. That glow in the dark shell will look great in the box on a shelf while it never gets played.

And that disclaimer...seriously? Is that supposed to be tongue in cheek?

In their clarification to Gamespot, they seem to be very serious about the fire thing because they don't know what condition the hardware the game is being played on is in. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-street-fighter-2-snes-cart-being-released-but-/1100-6453012/

Yeah, but nobody wants to play the first game. It was pretty bad. The only home console release of the original game was Fighting Street on the TurboGrafx and it's not like they're going to release a game on that system.

What's interesting is the choice of game. There were like five(?) Street Fighter II games on the SNES. They're basically all the same. Capcom could have at least chosen the one with the most characters or the fan favorite: Street Fighter II Turbo.

From what I can remember, there were three - World Warrior, Turbo, and Super. This is World Warrior, where there's no playing bosses or mirror matches, which is a very odd choice. I agree that the original is basically unplayable garbage at this point, though. Just...yikes.

At first, thought this was some recently unearthed, never before seen bit of SNES goodness from Japan. A combo cart or something that included the original Street Fighter/Fighting Street. But nope! :lol:

Remember paying $69.99 for this when first released and as already pointed out, was NOT 30 years ago. ;)

In their clarification to Gamespot, they seem to be very serious about the fire thing because they don't know what condition the hardware the game is being played on is in. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-street-fighter-2-snes-cart-being-released-but-/1100-6453012/

Baffling to me they would think they would need to do this--maybe they employ a lawyer with a lot of time on his hands. SNESs don't have a habit of catching fire, nor does any other console system that I know of. Their CARTRIDGE might be a total POS though I suppose, and they might know it, so their disclaimer would make sense if they were worried about that.

Of course, even they don't seem to think anyone will play this overpriced foil covered clear shell collector crapola anyway:

"While this is a functional game cartridge, first and foremost we consider it to be a collectible item."

Lock it in that safety deposit box next to your pogs and your Death of Superman polybagged comics guys. Your retirement is taken care of.

• Like 4

It also brings home the idea that Capcom didn't make the SNES, they can't vouch for whether an old system works or not, and they don't want to support it. Kind of the flip side of the retro-style consoles that aren't responsible for the cartridges you insert into them. I recently bought a Chinese Sega Megadrive clone (described well here) that had a lot of cautionary information about using old cartridge. Don't blow on them, clean them even if they work elsewhere, use game mode to get around HDMI lag, run in 4:3, change old batteries if saves don't work.

post-2410-0-74840300-1504186986.jpg

The obvious subtext here: your old equipment is not our problem!

The new Capcom cartridge is obviously for collectors only. The Street Fighter II line of games is available on Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console, the SNES Classic Mini, and remade in HD on the Switch. I'm slightly surprised they're not putting it on the 2017 Sega Genesis Flashback. Maybe next year.

From what I can remember, there were three - World Warrior, Turbo, and Super. This is World Warrior, where there's no playing bosses or mirror matches, which is a very odd choice. I agree that the original is basically unplayable garbage at this point, though. Just...yikes.

You forgot Street Fighter Alpha 2 / Zero 2 ...which actually would have been a lot better to re-release since it's a S-DD1 chip game and not compatible with a flashcart such as the SD2SNES.

58ab7acae8f1c.jpg

• Like 3

Their CARTRIDGE might be a total POS though I suppose, and they might know it, so their disclaimer would make sense if they were worried about that.

All that recent noise about Everdrives killing retro consoles might be feeding into it, too. Regardless of truth or real risk, the story mushroomed all over the place for a while. The same type of people who buy gold-plated digital cables may well believe it.

"first and foremost a collectible item" ugh I'm glad I'm somewhat immune to this crap. I hope there aren't young people buying stuff like this on credit or speculating on their futures.

• Like 1

SF2, SF2T, SuperSF2 and SFAlpha2 all hit the SNES so yeah, 4 of the franchise.

Capcom's warning is a total CYA so they're not held responsible legally for stupid people doing stupid stuff.

I had someone elsewhere yesterday defend the $100 price trying to pull that classic collectard bullshit argument of inflation over 25 years. I so detest when people justify a price tag on something using that crap, especially in a case like this when there are plenty of known knowns you can dig up if you know someone to get a general idea of the expense behind this. Old ROM Capcom owns=FREE, costs new boards, new chips, new plastic shells, new stickers, paper, and printing and boxing. Doesn't add up, $100 is really a collector's tax as they could have well charged their old $59.99 price back from 1992 on this and still done fine. :)

I also agree with NE146, SFA2 would have been a more fantastic re-release if for any reason (FMV love or hate aside) it did edge out the PS1 version to not be the worst ;) and well SDD1 so flash kits hate it. I remember when this one came out in the day it was a hard sell as it was a $60 game right next to a $60 Super Mario 64 on the shelf.

• Like 1

I had someone elsewhere yesterday defend the $100 price trying to pull that classic collectard bullshit argument of inflation over 25 years. I so detest when people justify a price tag on something using that crap, especially in a case like this when there are plenty of known knowns you can dig up if you know someone to get a general idea of the expense behind this.

Justifications are great when you're buying something anyway but don't want to feel like a dope.

The game design was done many, many years ago. I agree with you that they're cleaning up collector money.

It's interesting that this is just going to be the first in a series of such re-releases from iam8bit and other companies, although some of those other releases will be a fraction of the price (and not packaged as a collectible). Interesting times to say the least.

Pretty cool! What are those from?

Dunno, I'm assuming some homemade jobbers? Found out about them via this guy's videos...

post-61233-0-05190400-1504194110.jpg

Some of these modern efforts are definitely appealing to me, namely certain NES multicarts. Years ago these seemed to be scarce as hell - I'd see them now and again at ridiculous prices via Chinese auctions - but now they are plentiful and cheap as chips! Some of them are quite highly rated, as well.

post-61233-0-19723400-1504194349_thumb.jpg