IGNORED

Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary SNES Repro [iam8bit]

^^I have the World + Allstars cart. I believe it's a 3 megabyte ROM and the ported version of Super Mario World has unique enhancements such as 4 save slots and Luigi getting unique sprites rather than a palette swap of Mario. Definitely not a bankswitch multicart as World is accessed from the game select menu with five game options instead of four. I also believe it is unique to North America. Pity the Wii reissue did not get the deluxe version.

One minor caveat is Game Genie codes for Super Mario World don't work properly without translation, if you're into that sort of thing... :P

All that recent noise about Everdrives killing retro consoles might be feeding into it, too. Regardless of truth or real risk, the story mushroomed all over the place for a while. The same type of people who buy gold-plated digital cables may well believe it.

"first and foremost a collectible item" ugh I'm glad I'm somewhat immune to this crap. I hope there aren't young people buying stuff like this on credit or speculating on their futures.

Flojo, this is the first I've heard of this. Sidetrack, but what's the verdict? I own like 3 of these everdrives and they're all 'use sparingly' according to this...is there any truth to it?

Flojo, this is the first I've heard of this. Sidetrack, but what's the verdict? I own like 3 of these everdrives and they're all 'use sparingly' according to this...is there any truth to it?

Theres at least one thread about it here on AA. I dont know the answer, but it seems to me that if it were a real threat, more people would be complaining about it. Why would someone write this? Seeking attention, or showing off electrical engineering training?

As I said elsewhere, it also seems to me that old consoles would have more to fear from dirty electrical power (sags and surges) than any internal variation. I have no EE background or experience with this stuff myself.

None whatsoever. Mostly fear mongering. Using resistors instead of level shifters to transition between 5V and 3.3V logic is technically lazy/bad design but it won't break anything. At worst it puts the 3.3V parts inside the flashcart or repro under far more stress than the 5V console logic. So if anything breaks, it will be shoddy repro electronics, not the vintage system components.
  • Like 3

Yep.. I use Everdrives all the friggin time, except the SNES Everdrive, don't bother with that crap. Stick to the SD2SNES. :)

On that note all this talk about Street Fighter made me try out my Super Street Fighter snes cartridge tonight and I could not friggin get it to load. 'Course the game loads fine in the SD2SNES so I'm kinda less inclined to bother trying to clean it up.

• Like 2

Is there really much of a reason to even care about the SD2SNES over the Everdrive+DSP if you hate/dislike/don't care about Mega Man X2/X3? Before someone throws the MSU1 out, I'm talking about legit games from then, not made up stuff now. FX and SA1 have been promised with no change for like 5+ years now so I'm not hanging any thoughts of that happening.

Is there really much of a reason to even care about the SD2SNES over the Everdrive+DSP if you hate/dislike/don't care about Mega Man X2/X3? Before someone throws the MSU1 out, I'm talking about legit games from then, not made up stuff now. FX and SA1 have been promised with no change for like 5+ years now so I'm not hanging any thoughts of that happening.

It was never promised. It's open source and possible to do. However, the original designers no longer work on improving it and krikzz only has the hardware for sale. He doesn't actually work on the software and doesn't care to. Basically, whoever wants to make it happen, is free to do so. It could be you!

• Like 1

There's a lot of qualifiers there... Everdrive WITH DSP, but only for games WITHOUT MSU1...

Can you see why someone might not want that many restrictions after dropping some coin on a flashcart?

Yep.. that stuff aside, I'll leave this here also from a recent IRC conversation. Since I'm pasting it without permission I won't say who it is, but he carries weight here at AA. :P

<@XXXXXX> get an sd2snes if you want snes flash carts
<@XXXXXX> it runs all the DSP games and the CX4 games and some others
<@XXXXXX> the super everdrive doesn't and its menu is garbage
<@XXXXXX> my super everdrive broke literally on its 10th use
<@XXXXXX> says "SD card error" now
<@XXXXXX> sd2snes works flawless though and feels like a finished, polished product
<@XXXXXX> the super everdrive feels like a beta product. the menu has things like "run as hi/lorom" and a hex viewer so you can look at the header to try and suss it out yourself. lol
<@XXXXXX> and it loads the game into flash to run it, while the sd2snes loads into RAM to run it
<@XXXXXX> sd2snes loads super metroid in literally 1-2 seconds, while the super everdrive takes 30-45 seconds

There's a lot of qualifiers there... Everdrive WITH DSP, but only for games WITHOUT MSU1...

Can you see why someone might not want that many restrictions after dropping some coin on a flashcart?

In all fairness, no. If someone had no interest in the made up MSU1 or the 2 C4 games there's no reason to drop the notably larger amount of coin on it. I'd happily reverse my opinion if they ever get someone to code a FX, SDD1 or SA1 routine for it so those games work. Then it would entirely worth the coin and I'd sell my current kit off and buy one too.

And dean if I could code that would be something I'd love the challenge of but I learned fast in college I don't have the math and computer logic skills to handle that. Mind you I would have probably got into coding pet project games I've wanted for a long time now like a proper sequel to Act Raiser which behaves like the original but expands it out further.

In all fairness, no. If someone had no interest in the made up MSU1 or the 2 C4 games there's no reason to drop the notably larger amount of coin on it. I'd happily reverse my opinion if they ever get someone to code a FX, SDD1 or SA1 routine for it so those games work. Then it would entirely worth the coin and I'd sell my current kit off and buy one too.

And dean if I could code that would be something I'd love the challenge of but I learned fast in college I don't have the math and computer logic skills to handle that. Mind you I would have probably got into coding pet project games I've wanted for a long time now like a proper sequel to Act Raiser which behaves like the original but expands it out further.

Well, you asked if there was a reason. The reason might not interest you, personally, but that doesn't negate the logic behind it. There are lots of reasons to get an SD2SNES.

I went with the SD2SNES based on what I read with the load times, and I guess it can load larger roms... maybe useful for hacks I guess.

The last firmware revision was back in May, so I assume someone is still working on it (https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/833). Maybe Game Genie cheats are next from what I have read there. I read on another page that SFX might be doable but SA1 will probably never happen. Not holding my breath. I don't remember where I read that though.

You know what would have been cool is something I mentioned earlier within that price if it was at all possible. Use the SDD1 chip if possible and throw the original SF2 (CE) on a cartridge with the original audio/visuals compressed to fit with that chip set onto a SNES cart. That would be totally worth the price given the expense behind that. Can't hurt to think of fun things that would still fit the mold.

Someone recently did this with music for SD2SNES owners. It's pretty cool playing it with original arcade music.

Yep.. that stuff aside, I'll leave this here also from a recent IRC conversation. Since I'm pasting it without permission I won't say who it is, but he carries weight here at AA. :P

<@XXXXXX> get an sd2snes if you want snes flash carts
<@XXXXXX> it runs all the DSP games and the CX4 games and some others
<@XXXXXX> the super everdrive doesn't and its menu is garbage
<@XXXXXX> my super everdrive broke literally on its 10th use
<@XXXXXX> says "SD card error" now
<@XXXXXX> sd2snes works flawless though and feels like a finished, polished product
<@XXXXXX> the super everdrive feels like a beta product. the menu has things like "run as hi/lorom" and a hex viewer so you can look at the header to try and suss it out yourself. lol
<@XXXXXX> and it loads the game into flash to run it, while the sd2snes loads into RAM to run it
<@XXXXXX> sd2snes loads super metroid in literally 1-2 seconds, while the super everdrive takes 30-45 seconds

There are some fair points there, but the stuff about the Super Everdrive being a "beta" product is pure nonsense.

ugh, just stop. MSU 1 games aren't "made up stuff". They're legit games which now have CD quality audio. Have you heard the Chrono Trigger Symphony?

I love how some folks nonchalantly pooh-pooh the SD2SNES and it's cost. "well, it still doesn't play Super FX games... might as well save the cash and just get the everdrive, it only plays a few more games like X2"

I could buy a SD2SNES and drop nothing but X2,3 on there and the device has already paid for itself.

• Like 2

If you say so. The MSU1 is made up stuff whether you like it or not. It's not something Nintendo or a partner, or even today either that has been made into an actual physical chip to be used in a game. it's a genius set of routines run across the SD2SNES to allow for a mix of things from the laserdisc game to the full sound track scores replacing in game audio for popular SNES titles.

It doesn't matter if I heard CT symphony or not, it's still a made up thing. It wasn't intended as mockery or a slight, it's just the truth.

Ultimately if you don't care about MMX2/X3 or the MSU routine it offers up nothing compatibility wise to justify the price. That's really not hard to understand. I wish it did. I really do because I would pay up if they could tackle the SA1, FX and the SDD1. There are some solid games I'd buy it for between the US and Japan.

If you say so. The MSU1 is made up stuff whether you like it or not. It's not something Nintendo or a partner, or even today either that has been made into an actual physical chip to be used in a game. it's a genius set of routines run across the SD2SNES to allow for a mix of things from the laserdisc game to the full sound track scores replacing in game audio for popular SNES titles.

It doesn't matter if I heard CT symphony or not, it's still a made up thing. It wasn't intended as mockery or a slight, it's just the truth.

Ultimately if you don't care about MMX2/X3 or the MSU routine it offers up nothing compatibility wise to justify the price. That's really not hard to understand. I wish it did. I really do because I would pay up if they could tackle the SA1, FX and the SDD1. There are some solid games I'd buy it for between the US and Japan.

Your posts are made up stuff. Who the hell says "CD quality stereo music, meh"

Your posts are made up stuff. Who the hell says "CD quality stereo music, meh"

LOL, the same people who would pay $100 for a limited Street Fighter II anniversary cartridge. Those who are still living in 1992.

As opposed to the mainline Atari fan who is still living in 1982. For what it's worth, I consider myself among the latter

LOL, the same people who would pay $100 for a limited Street Fighter II anniversary cartridge. Those who are still living in 1992.

As opposed to the mainline Atari fan who is still living in 1982. For what it's worth, I consider myself among the latter

"it's made up stuff you guys" :roll:

No, it's real and badassingly awesome

Wait my posts are made up stuff? And who the hell says CD quality stereo music? Basically, you. You're the only one in all these pages who ever uttered the words stereo or CD at all.

I don't get the deal with all this raging butthurt and whining over what I said. The MSU1 is not a physical reality. It is a well coded piece of routines that runs on the FPGA that is within the SD2SNES to allow either FMV or superior audio tracks but it was never a real piece of hardware then or really even now. It's like saying the SD2SNES has a real DSP and a real C4 chip on there to run those games, which it doesn't. It's all coded routines to get that kit to do what the coder wants same as you'd expect from an emulator on whatever OS of choice.

It's damned amazing, stunning really that what it is can do is even possible through that kit, but it's still a fantasy, just a very well coded and realized fantasy that allows some amazing things the SNES never was capable of or people assumed it was capable of 20 years ago.

Wait my posts are made up stuff? And who the hell says CD quality stereo music? Basically, you. You're the only one in all these pages who ever uttered the words stereo or CD at all.

I don't get the deal with all this raging butthurt and whining over what I said. The MSU1 is not a physical reality. It is a well coded piece of routines that runs on the FPGA that is within the SD2SNES to allow either FMV or superior audio tracks but it was never a real piece of hardware then or really even now. It's like saying the SD2SNES has a real DSP and a real C4 chip on there to run those games, which it doesn't. It's all coded routines to get that kit to do what the coder wants same as you'd expect from an emulator on whatever OS of choice.

It's damned amazing, stunning really that what it is can do is even possible through that kit, but it's still a fantasy, just a very well coded and realized fantasy that allows some amazing things the SNES never was capable of or people assumed it was capable of 20 years ago.

I think you're confusing MSU-1 with Blast Processing.

• Like 3