IGNORED

Ken Siders Has Died

MrFish

I know it's already on the front page here on AtariAge and there is a thread in the 7800 forums, but I feel compelled to open one here too.

I don't go to the front page regularly, so I just found out a few hours ago in the 7800 thread.

Sad news to hear, especially of someone only 49 years of age and a great contributor to the hobby.

Rest in peace Ken; you'll always be remembered in the community; thanks for everything. Condolences to your family.

Obituary page where condolences can be posted: Kenneth Lee Siders (February 12, 1968 - August 12, 2017)

Ken's Website: kens classics

Ken created the great Atari 8-bit classic (and also for 5200 and 7800): Beef Drop

post-6369-0-97259500-1504454398.png

post-6369-0-21187400-1504454404.png

post-6369-0-84362900-1504454408.png

He made another 8-bit game, oddly enough, titled: The Fish-Adventures of Mr. Fish

He also created several other games for the 7800 including:

b*nQ (a Q*bert clone)

bloc drop (unfinished Tetris clone)

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 6

Replied in the other threads. Very sad to hear. While I did not personally know him, we chatted several times via IRC. Hope this is not in bad taste, but does anybody know how he died? It seemed sudden, so I assume something terrible like a car accident and not an illness.

Hope this is not in bad taste, but does anybody know how he died? It seemed sudden, so I assume something terrible like a car accident and not an illness.

I don't think it's in bad taste to wonder or ask what happened. I agree that since they said he died "unexpectedly" it probably means something other than long-term illness, but no way of knowing unless a family member or someone close would reply here.

Here's the actual obituary, for people who didn't realise they needed to click on the tab to see it on the obituary page i linked to.

-------------------------------------------------------

Kenneth Lee Siders

MARION: Kenneth Lee Siders, age 49, of Marion and Columbus, Ohio, passed away unexpectedly on Saturday, August12, 2017 at Riverside Methodist Hospital. He was born on February 12, 1968 to the late Lowell and Judy (Rowland) Siders in Marion.

Ken enjoyed computers and video games, and he worked as a computer programmer with H&R Block for 25 years. He loved his niece and nephew, and the family fondly remembers their summer vacations and other adventures to the Columbus Zoo, Port Clinton, Put-in-Bay, and every fair they could attend.

He is survived by his sister Cindy Siders of Marion; his brother Bryan (Theresa) Siders of Owensboro, Kentucky; his niece Kelli Siders; his nephew CJ Siders-Hill; his uncle JR (Judy) Rowland; and many friends and extended family by love.

He was preceded in death by his parents Lowell and Judy Siders and his brother Eric Siders.

Calling hours will be held on Sunday,August 20, 2017 from 2 PM to 4 PM at the Boyd-Born Funeral Home. Services will take place on Monday, August 21, 2017 at 11 AM at the funeral home. Burial will follow at Grand Prairie Cemetery.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1