IGNORED

Text to Speech program?

VicViper

TI Extended Basic allows you to use a built in vocabulary but that isn't true text to speech.

To say anything- read a text file say- it may seem bizarre but you need the Terminal Emulator 2 (TE2 or TI-II) module, PHM3035.

Choose and load the module into your FG99 and having selected the module, THEN choose TI Basic, then you can say anything from the command line or a basic program.

You will need the manual, at ftp://ftp.whtech.com/games/Texas%20Instruments/Terminal_Emulator_II_Manual.zip

• Like 1

Hmm the XB Text to Speech disk can do anything the TE2 cart can do?

True, but PHD5076 requires a disk system which the OP didn't mention. You also had to have the 32k ram. Loading the code and database from the TI disk took quite a wait- over two minutes. And used up some XB program space in memory. Probably faster with todays solid state disk replacements (timing anyone?)

Notes with sample code. on the TI Text to Speech disk at http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php?title=Text-to-Speech

I can't recall anyone selling PHD5076 in the UK?

Using TE2 you opened the device (OPEN) and PRINTed to it, see

http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php?title=Terminal%20Emulator%20II

and of course the TE2 manual.

To be a completist perhaps mention should be made of the almost forgotten and barely usable SPEECH EDITOR module (did anyone actually use it?).

And there was the separate but rare MBX Unit which supported speech without the speech synth- but you couldn't use it for your own speech so that's outside the scope of the original query!

Stephen

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 1

True, but PHD5076 requires a disk system which the OP didn't mention. You also had to have the 32k ram. Loading the code and database from the TI disk took quite a wait- over two minutes. And used up some XB program space in memory. Probably faster with todays solid state disk replacements (timing anyone?)

Notes with sample code. on the TI Text to Speech disk at http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php?title=Text-to-Speech

I can't recall anyone selling PHD5076 in the UK?

Using TE2 you opened the device (OPEN) and PRINTed to it, see

http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php?title=Terminal%20Emulator%20II

and of course the TE2 manual.

To be a completist perhaps mention should be made of the almost forgotten and barely usable SPEECH EDITOR module (did anyone actually use it?).

And there was the separate but rare MBX Unit which supported speech without the speech synth- but you couldn't use it for your own speech so that's outside the scope of the original query!

Stephen

Personally I have a SCSI card with 2 Hard Drives so I edited it to run from WDS1.SE.SPEAK

This loads a file that calls a file I made using RXB copy of the Lower 8K into RAM, then runs the XB program.

TEXTSPEECH.DSK

Text to Speech, runs out of Extended Basic - Requires 32k and Speech Synthesizer.

PHRASE_OLD - Original XB program that loads in DF/80 Assembly programs - load time over 1 minute.

PHRASE_NEW - Using the fantastic SYSTEX by Barry Boone - load time 10 seconds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

attachicon.gifTEXTSPEECH.DSK

Text to Speech, runs out of Extended Basic - Requires 32k and Speech Synthesizer.

PHRASE_OLD - Original XB program that loads in DF/80 Assembly programs - load time over 1 minute.

RXB using CALL BLOAD does it faster then Systex and bonus can load 960K of SAMS also if needed.

• 3 months later...

attachicon.gifTEXTSPEECH.DSK

This is super cool, but I can only get it to work some of the time. Do you know why that might be? Sometimes it loads up no problem, other times it says that it can't find the subprogram "sload." Have you had this issue too?

• Like 1

This is super cool, but I can only get it to work some of the time. Do you know why that might be? Sometimes it loads up no problem, other times it says that it can't find the subprogram "sload." Have you had this issue too?

Yea I had this issue all the time.

RXB has CALL BLOAD("DSK#.FILENAME") and CALL BSAVE("DSK#.FILENAME") that save lower 8K in Program Image Format.

I have converted all my programs to RXB as they load faster and do not crash. Besides works with SAMS too.

Yea I had this issue all the time.

RXB has CALL BLOAD("DSK#.FILENAME") and CALL BSAVE("DSK#.FILENAME") that save lower 8K in Program Image Format.

I have converted all my programs to RXB as they load faster and do not crash. Besides works with SAMS too.

My only issue with using RXB is that I want to be able to run my programs on my actual hardware and let other be able to run it on actual hardware easily. It seems like RXB is like another cartridge?

RXB is another cartridge, like standard Extended BASIC, but with a lot of extras too. It can be run from a GRAM device, a Final GROM cartridge, or using an UberGROM cartridge. The UberGROM is a perfectly standard cartridge with the program permanently installed, which is good for programming types. I build those, as does Arcadeshopper. If you go the FinalGROM toute, you can get one of those from Ralph Benzinger.

• Like 3

My only issue with using RXB is that I want to be able to run my programs on my actual hardware and let other be able to run it on actual hardware easily. It seems like RXB is like another cartridge?

Hmm what other cartridge is that?

Sorry they answered that for me.

Edited by RXB